IGNORED

When Did You Sell Out?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/7/2017 at 9:41 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Seems odd to me but the two brands of balls I find most are ProV-1's and Top Flites!

I got a good laugh at that one......  Our back deck is about 50 feet from the green on a local course, and I am amazed since the golf season started how many ProV-1's I find in either our back yard, side yard and sometimes on windy days the front yard.  

My total sell out moment might be yesterday when I ordered a University of Texas golf bag.  Just because we live in New York, doesn't mean I am not still a proud UT alum :)

utbag.jpg

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/7/2017 at 9:41 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Really? You don't find enough Top Flites lying around on the course? Seems odd to me but the two brands of balls I find most are ProV-1's and Top Flites!

Yep. Those two. We have some ball-losing sun of a gun that plays orange Nitros.  Borderline littering really.

• 5 months later...

This year I have only played modern clubs and actually upgraded the whole bag except for the hybrids, which I had already "sold out" to several years ago.  Game improvement irons, more modern putter, more wedges, bigger driver, newer 3 wood.

I haven't played blades and lumber since last fall. (They were always for fun; I didn't think I deserved them or played better with them)

I have never been a huge walker, though I did enjoy it when I did; even about 5 years ago I had started walking more. I have a knee that really prohibits that anymore.

Edited by dbuck

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

The first time I saw somebody playing cavity back irons (ping eye), I told them that it would destroy their swing because they wouldn't know when they hit it off center. In high school and college, I carried a 1 iron thru SW.  Now my longest iron is a 6 iron. I used to use an 8802 putter. Now I have a rotation of putters that are all forgiving. I thought range finders would slow down the game. Now I am ranging yardages from 40 yds out. I guess I have slowly sold out over the years.

For me it is when I got busy - have stopped actively trying to get better - just trying to maintain my game. I've never got hung up or upset about golf, but to be consciously not trying to get better (no lessons, little practice etc) feels like selling out.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

I use a push cart (for about the past couple years) and I don't think that would be considered selling out. Maybe switching my three and four irons to hybrids? Actually I would have to say I no longer play in any sort of bad weather. I used to go out on windy, cold days but don't anymore. I live in Florida....it will be nice tomorrow.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Weirdly, when I started hitting driver as often as possible. I used to really think about laying up off the tee on certain holes, playing hybrid or 3 wood. Having re-read LSW, I rethought that and committed to hitting driver on every hole I could. Makes the thought process easier, scores better and makes me think that I've sold out slightly...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I bought an interim putter to replace my ancient 1980s Ping Anser putter which is just too light for me, saw this on sale for $40, the kicker that got me was the adjustable weights, can get close to 400 grams. This is a no name, no endorsements putter, but at least it's designed and made in the last couple of years and will offer more experience with a heavier head. Did not even bother demoing it.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf-clubs/putters/cure-golf-cx2-putter/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Weird - 

Feel like I'm selling myself out when I'm playing a course below 6500 yds unless I'm doing it for a change of pace, to play different clubs. Played a 6800 yd course in wet conditions, no roll, and except for par 3's, might have hit one GIR per round. That waas tough - then 420-450 yd par 4's - hitting your approach from 160-200 yards, it's tough. 

The other sellout was ultrialite shafts - 45g driver shafts, 50g hybrids, 50g fairways ... they did not seem to fit.

Going heavier has its advantages - consistency. Now have 55g driver, 55 n 65g faiways, 75 g hybrids, and thinking of 89g irons instead of 76g irons. 

Going back to slightly heavier and playing challenging tees feels more pure...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

sold out again yesterday.

I downloaded a GPS Golf App to my phone- a free one. Surely a paid app and a rangefinder are not far behind. I am a total sell out. Next I will be buying training aids.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Last season I started playing from the white tees. I finally gave up on the idea that I was going to "pull it all together" and drive 270 consistently. My enjoyment of the game skyrocketed. 

This season I will start using a push cart and invest in a few hybrids to replace the 3i and 4i. 

- Mark

I sold out when I bought a push cart. Said I wouldn't do it prior to turning 50, got one at 40. Sold out again this summer, I swore I would never use the umbrella attachment on my cart to put an umbrella up to block the sun, well, I was cooler in the shade. 

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

First  460 CC driver......Mizuno MP001.....went from a driver about half it's size.  Felt like I was cheating the game.....but I was easily hitting it 20 yards futher than my other driver.......and it helped me catch up to the pack.  Now it's just common place, but I remember fighting every step of the way at the time.  Also, the massive pricetag was by far the most I had ever spent on a club.  

Was at the PGA Superstore and found the green/white UA shirt I wanted, in my size and on sale. Sold out immediately. Can no longer make fun of Under Armour. 

I guess for me, I sold out when I changed golf balls. I've played the Pro-V-1X for years. This summer I switched to the Taylormade TP5X (another "tour" ball). Now I'm playing the Callaway SuperSoft. Mainly because it works better with my senior swing speed.

Note: This thread is 2284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!