IGNORED

Steph Curry Receives Sponsors Exemption into Web.com Event

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah. What's Steph Curry know about playing sports under pressure???

Seriously? Steph's hoop experience will be a minimal help at best.........pressure is SO much more than just the stage...in fact, pressure should be defined as the crossroads of the size of the stage and the confidence you have in what you are trying to do......Steph can hit a three ball with 3 seconds left because he knows he is the best.....can he hit a soft draw on a 440 yard slight dogleg left that has a fairway sloping to the right or hit a high, soft flop from 15 feet with a green sloping away?

Zip is right.....tournament play for a guy that is not a tournament player is a pretty big deal....I think Steph can play a bit and think he will shoot 80 at worst......and we are ALL talking about it and that is the proof in the pudding

Edited by BallStriker
  • Upvote 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

14 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

I might actually watch the event now. I hate the Warriors and Curry, but I love the NBA and off the court, Curry's a good guy. Rooting for him to break 80 one of the two days, but I doubt it. 

How can anyone hate my cousin Stevie?:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah. What's Steph Curry know about playing sports under pressure???

A lot. Like, for example, relying on your teammates.

Is Kevin Durant his caddy & gonna hit some shots for him?

Edited by zipazoid

He's gonna get killed, so what?  That will likely be the most watched  Web.com event this year.  Smart sponsors.

Let's hope the TV guys are smart enough to capitalize on it and get plenty of tape of him stumbling (relatively speaking) around the course.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
8 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Seriously? Steph's hoop experience will be a minimal help at best.........pressure is SO much more than just the stage...in fact, pressure should be defined as the crossroads of the size of the stage and the confidence you have in what you are trying to do......Steph can hit a three ball with 3 seconds left because he knows he is the best.....can he hit a soft draw on a 440 yard slight dogleg left that has a fairway sloping to the right or hit a high, soft flop from 15 feet with a green sloping away?

Zip is right.....tournament play for a guy that is not a tournament player is a pretty big deal....I think Steph can play a bit and think he will shoot 80 at worst......and we are ALL talking about it and that is the proof in the pudding

1 hour ago, zipazoid said:

A lot. Like, for example, relying on your teammates.

Is Kevin Durant his caddy & gonna hit some shots for him?

I'm not claiming he won't be nervous. He gets nervous before basketball games. But what he's learned, too, is how to handle the nerves.

And this? This is a golf tournament. He's doing it on a lark. His payday, his reputation, his career, his family… nothing is on the line here. He's smart enough to realize that, too.

I'm also not claiming he'll shoot a certain score or break 80 or whatever. He might not.

But your claims and the statement about "there's golf, and then there's tournament golf" don't hold water IMO.

Reminds me of a quick story… to make it short, one of the most clutch guys with whom I ever played was a heart surgeon. He told me "buddy, when you've literally held thousands of people's lives in your hands, golf ain't nothin'." That guy knew pressure, and how to handle it.

So does Steph Curry.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

But your claims and the statement about "there's golf, and then there's tournament golf" don't hold water IMO.

So are you saying they're the same? I would imagine your experience as a professional golfer would say differently. I know my amateur experiences do.

Am I Steph Curry? No. My index was a couple of strokes higher than his 2.2 when I played competitively. But I disagree that, since he can nail a jump shot under pressure means he can handle hitting a 200-yard shot over water under pressure. The only similarity is pressure. So if you think that similarity will carry the day for him, fine. But I don't think that argument holds water.

Those of you suggesting that Curry might not be able to handle the "pressure" are making a couple of big mistakes, IMO.  First and foremost, you are basing the that opinion on the assumption that he'll even feel pressure at all.  Like Erik pointed out, Curry knows he stinks, he knows he's overmatched, and he's only doing this for fun because of an "unexpected invitation."  That is not a recipe for pressure, so I doubt he'll feel any of it.

Secondly, if he did, I think his basketball experience absolutely translates because he's failed plenty of times and that's how you learn to handle pressure. You recognize that it doesn't matter much even if you fail and you remind yourself that allowing the pressure to get to you helps you fail so you don't do it.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, zipazoid said:

So are you saying they're the same?

No. I'm saying he knows how to handle pressure, and nerves.

I would imagine your experience as a professional golfer would say differently. I know my amateur experiences do.

Your amateur experiences dinking it around in some mid-level amateur event are not at all the same as learning how to play a sport at a high enough level that you've won two world championships at the highest level of your sport. C'mon…

Am I Steph Curry? No.

Then why is it that you think your experience at all compares?

You may have been close to his handicap as a golfer, but you're missing out the thing I'm talking about: the experience playing higher level athletics (basketball in his case) on a huge stage. You lack that. He doesn't.

The only similarity is pressure.

That's what "there is golf and then there is tournament golf" is talking about - the ability to handle the pressure, nerves.

Steph Curry is going to be a bit nervous, and he may feel a little pressure… but how much? Very little. Again, his play will not affect:

• his career or livelihood/income
  • his reputation
  • his family
  • his enjoyment of the game

He's doing this on a lark, for fun. I think he's smart enough to know it (that doesn't take much brains), and his experience playing basketball (a sport) on a huge stage (far bigger than accepting an invitation to play in a Web.com event) will let him handle the pressure of playing on this much smaller, less important stage.

13 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Those of you suggesting that Curry might not be able to handle the "pressure" are making a couple of big mistakes, IMO.  First and foremost, you are basing the that opinion on the assumption that he'll even feel pressure at all.  Like Erik pointed out, Curry knows he stinks, he knows he's overmatched, and he's only doing this for fun because of an "unexpected invitation."  That is not a recipe for pressure, so I doubt he'll feel any of it.

Secondly, if he did, I think his basketball experience absolutely translates because he's failed plenty of times and that's how you learn to handle pressure. You recognize that it doesn't matter much even if you fail and you remind yourself that allowing the pressure to get to you helps you fail so you don't do it.

Yup.

Dave (Wedzik) gets nervous on the first tee of every event he ever plays. He's told me this many times. Dave has learned, having played at a high level himself, how to handle those nerves.

Any nerves Steph Curry feels, he'll know how to handle. Any pressure he feels, he'll know how to handle. He's learned how to deal with those.

And that's if he feels many nerves or much pressure to begin with.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Pretty sure Curry knows how to channel nervous energy into focus better than most.

I really doubt his result will be bad because of mental issues. It will be bad because he's not as good as those guys.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

How can anyone hate my cousin Stevie?:-P

Hehe sorry to insult your family, Scott. Plus, I know you taught him everything he knows at those extended family reunions. Also, thank you for inventing curry, the spice. I love putting it on chicken. Definitely a game changer for me. 

Nerves wise, Curry has some golf related experience in this area, FWIW. If this Web.com event is like his Masters, then the Celebrity Classic in Tahoe in a few days is like his Bay Hill. He'll get his feet wet in tourney conditions against the best celebs, plus it's televised with a hearty gallery. 

In his debut in 2013, he actually held the lead going into the final round before choking (it's stableford):

1.PNG

Not bad. His other results were T13 in 2014, DNP in 2015, and then T27 last year. I remember watching last year, and he struggled badly off the tee with pulls and cuts all day long, but said he had barely played because of injuries from the NBA season. 

So yea, since I watch this silly Tahoe event every year, we'll get a good look at where his game is. Let's see if he solved those tee troubles since last year. I'm assuming he has because he ended the NBA season in full health for the first time in a while, and is probably playing every day right now. 

I think nerve wise he'll probably be okay. He's used to the crowds, has contended and coughed up a lead in the past and maybe learned something from it, and has been a low handicap player since he was like thirteen or something. He was also the captain of his high school golf team. 

• Upvote 1

Constantine

8 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

He was also the captain of his high school golf team. 

A few days ago I didn't really know who this guy was, now I can add him to the list of people who are famous, were prominent in their high school golf team, but ended up with a different career.  He's right next to Kenny G now.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

Your amateur experiences dinking it around in some mid-level amateur event are not at all the same as learning how to play a sport at a high enough level that you've won two world championships at the highest level of your sport. C'mon…

Never said that. 

All I did was try to relate it to my experiences playing amateur tournament golf. Of COURSE I am not implying that my experience compares to winning the NBA Championship. I was simply, and only, saying that posting a handicap at your club & playing to that in a tournament are very different. My personal experiences have proved this, irrespective of the level of the stage I was "dinking it around" on.

He won't break 85. 

22 minutes ago, Shindig said:

A few days ago I didn't really know who this guy was, now I can add him to the list of people who are famous, were prominent in their high school golf team, but ended up with a different career.  He's right next to Kenny G now.

Lol! How dare you mock my intensive investigative research, Michael! Me and Keith Morrison worked day and night on that post. :-D

10 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

He won't break 85. 

Yea despite my post defending that he probably has more experienced nerves than you're giving him credit for, 85+ is always a very likely outcome; however, the more I look at this, the more I think this is the track for a good celebrity amateur to break 80 on. It's TPC Stonebrae, the place where a guy shot 58 last year and 30-under total to win. Hell, this is the same track that Jerry Rice barfed out 83-76 on. The cut last year was 3-under, and the guy who finished dead last went 76-78.

If there's one course on the Web.com for a talented celebrity amateur to break 80 on, it's this one. 

Constantine

41 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Hehe sorry to insult your family, Scott. Plus, I know you taught him everything he knows at those extended family reunions. Also, thank you for inventing curry, the spice. I love putting it on chicken. Definitely a game changer for me. 

Nerves wise, Curry has some golf related experience in this area, FWIW. If this Web.com event is like his Masters, then the Celebrity Classic in Tahoe in a few days is like his Bay Hill. He'll get his feet wet in tourney conditions against the best celebs, plus it's televised with a hearty gallery. 

In his debut in 2013, he actually held the lead going into the final round before choking (it's stableford):

1.PNG

Not bad. His other results were T13 in 2014, DNP in 2015, and then T27 last year. I remember watching last year, and he struggled badly off the tee with pulls and cuts all day long, but said he had barely played because of injuries from the NBA season. 

So yea, since I watch this silly Tahoe event every year, we'll get a good look at where his game is. Let's see if he solved those tee troubles since last year. I'm assuming he has because he ended the NBA season in full health for the first time in a while, and is probably playing every day right now. 

I think nerve wise he'll probably be okay. He's used to the crowds, has contended and coughed up a lead in the past and maybe learned something from it, and has been a low handicap player since he was like thirteen or something. He was also the captain of his high school golf team. 

I got cut in the first group for basketball in 8th grade! He learned nothing from me!:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

14 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Lol! How dare you mock my intensive investigative research, Michael! Me and Keith Morrison worked day and night on that post. :-D

Not mocking.  I haven't followed basketball in over a decade.  I think I've seen two games in that time, both due to a girl and not interest in the sport.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

8 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Not mocking.  I haven't followed basketball in over a decade.  I think I've seen two games in that time, both due to a girl and not interest in the sport.

Oh okay, I misunderstood. 

19 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I got cut in the first group for basketball in 8th grade! He learned nothing from me!:-P

Being too modest again. 

• Upvote 1

Constantine

I don't think anyone knows how he'll do in regards to being nervous or letting a bad shots/holes break his concentration.

I'm guessing he's always been one of the best at every level competing on the court. That won't be the case with this competition. So his experience with pressure in BB may help, may not.

More than that experience, my opinion is that his apparent awareness of how his game compares to the others will serve him well. If he has a handle on that and is not expecting too much out of himself, a few bad holes may not have any effect.

I like the guy and am pulling for him to play well.

• Upvote 1

Jon

Note: This thread is 2426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!