IGNORED

Steph Curry Receives Sponsors Exemption into Web.com Event

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If TST is any indication, then congrats to the Ellie Mae Classic - as this thread has 12x the number of posts and 25X the views of the WGC event

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Still T 146.  Only 8 players worse.... :-( 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Obviously the 74 is a little misleading because the course is playing pretty easy. Still, I say it's impressive because he's in the middle of another athletic career. Pitchers (like Smoltz) have often made good golfers because those guys can play midseason since they only pitch every five days, plus their offseason. 

"Witty golf quote."

I would say this is more impressive than Jordan's stint in the minors. Early, yes. But so far, that's what I'm feeling.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

14 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

Obviously the 74 is a little misleading because the course is playing pretty easy. Still, I say it's impressive because he's in the middle of another athletic career. Pitchers (like Smoltz) have often made good golfers because those guys can play midseason since they only pitch every five days, plus their offseason. 

Smoltz shot 84 and 87 in his nationwide tour event.

Trollin' is the life

I hope it's not a one off. It would be really cool, in this age of specialization, to see someone successful in multiple sports. 

Steve

His longest drive was 265 yards.

He hit 7/13 fairways

He hit 8/18 GIR

1.625 putts per GIR

It is better than most believed he'd do.   He still won't make the cut (imo)

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I, for one, am TOTALLY impressed with his showing today........would love to have been able to watch his round

Just great stuff

Edited by BallStriker
  • Like 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

2 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

He will need a 65ish score to make the cut tomorrow.

I think at this point, not finishing DFL would be a very strong showing...

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

His longest drive was 265 yards.

PGATour.com has his driving distance average at 286 and longest drive at 307.......curious

Edited by BallStriker

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Great to see Curry shoot a 74. I was watching web.com tour twitter for updates and it's the first time I've followed Web tour like this. So at the moment seems like a great invite for the tournament. I hope he shoots a good round today as well.

Got to say I'm impressed.  He (most likely) won't make the cut but a 74 on a tournament course is pretty darn good for someone who doesn't play full time.  I know it isn't the hardest course but it's better than  I thought he would do...I had him for a +5 or +6 at best.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I am really impressed that he broke 75 and even more pertinently that he scored better than a couple of pro's who do this for a living.  Would love to see him make the cut but realistically think that is extremely difficult unless he goes on a tear.  But just imagine what this one sponsors exemption has done for a tournament nobody ever heard of or watched.  It has as much viewership as the WGC and that has a three ball of Jason, Jordan and Rory.  Full credit to the sponsors for this.  I just hope no more pro's ever crib again about them missing out on sponsors exemptions.  They don't deserve it in the first place if they can't earn it.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

10 hours ago, BallStriker said:

PGATour.com has his driving distance average at 286 and longest drive at 307.......curious

I was watching from that website so it may not have been updated when I posted.  Here's the latest

curry.PNG

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

6 minutes ago, Divotmaker77 said:

Very impressive round all things considered.  Imagine if he quit basketball and solely focused on golf.  

He'd get creamed.  I highly doubt that he'd be able to achieve any status at all on the web.com tour.

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 2446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!