IGNORED

Steph Curry Receives Sponsors Exemption into Web.com Event

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, David in FL said:

He'd get creamed.  I highly doubt that he'd be able to achieve any status at all on the web.com tour.

286 drive with 307, I think he has a lot more in the tank if he became a tad more athletic with his swing.

He clearly can putt well.

If he dedicated the amount of time he played basketball to golf, I think he has a shot. The first place to look is always distance. He has enough to compete.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

286 drive with 307, I think he has a lot more in the tank if he became a tad more athletic with his swing.

He clearly can putt well.

If he dedicated the amount of time he played basketball to golf, I think he has a shot. The first place to look is always distance. He has enough to compete.

There's no doubt he's a good player, and everyone (me too) is pleased with his performance yesterday, but there are a TON of guys a lot better than him who can't make a nickel on the mini tours.  I agree that he has the raw distance, but hell, 2 of the 4 guys I'm playing with this afternoon have that distance too.  They're both 6 hcps and will never win the club championship...

I'm glad he didn't completely blow it yesterday, and continues to play relatively well today.  But im serious when I say, that anything other than DFL after today will be a good result.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

12 minutes ago, David in FL said:

There's no doubt he's a good player, and everyone (me too) is pleased with his performance yesterday, but there are a TON of guys a lot better than him who can't make a nickel on the mini tours.  I agree that he has the raw distance, but hell, 2 of the 4 guys I'm playing with this afternoon have that distance too.  They're both 6 hcps and will never win the club championship..

Curry is a .2 handicap. I am not sure when he picked up the game. You can't say just because you know people similar, that Curry has no shot. The guy is an elite athlete who looks to have a very good golf swing. He has the distance, and probably has room to gain more. He looks like he can putt well. I think he has a better shot than most athletes who play other sports.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

18 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Curry is a .2 handicap. I am not sure when he picked up the game. You can't say just because you know people similar, that Curry has no shot. The guy is an elite athlete who looks to have a very good golf swing. He has the distance, and probably has room to gain more. He looks like he can putt well. I think he has a better shot than most athletes who play other sports.

Curry has been playing since his early teens or possibly before.  He was either on or captain of his HS golf team.  He is an amazing athlete and would be a pretty decent golfer if he could dedicate the time to it.  Would he progress from Web.com to the PGA tour if this was his day job is more debatable but he does have the necessary skills and athleticism to make a career in this (not that he would need to but if the fancy took him) post his NBA career to play at a pretty decent level

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

34 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Certainly he has a better shot than most athletes who play other sports.  He's a very good golfer.  It's just that, as we all know, very good isn't enough.

Is it possible?  Maybe.  Is it likely?  No.  Moot point though, he'd never take the pay cut! ;-) 

BTW, +0.7.  Good to see that he's already entered yesterday's round too! :-) 

image.jpeg

In David's bag....

He's had a number of injuries and surgeries. The question is how his body holds up post NBA. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

17 hours ago, Aguirre said:

Obviously the 74 is a little misleading because the course is playing pretty easy. Still, I say it's impressive because he's in the middle of another athletic career. Pitchers (like Smoltz) have often made good golfers because those guys can play midseason since they only pitch every five days, plus their offseason. 

I don't know much about baseball:  are they allowed to play golf on their off days during the season?  I thought the purpose of having the rotation was so their arms are rested for the next match.

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

He'd get creamed.  I highly doubt that he'd be able to achieve any status at all on the web.com tour.

I agree.  Would he be more successful at going the Paper Tiger route than Tom Coyne was?  Probably.  Would I bet on him making it, even if he devoted himself full time?  Probably not.  In the world of the professional tours, scratch is [redacted] and there are plenty of caddies who were plus handicaps and NCAA All-Americans in college, captains of their team at some point.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

8 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I don't know much about baseball:  are they allowed to play golf on their off days during the season?  I thought the purpose of having the rotation was so their arms are rested for the next match.

I played college ball as a pitcher and we were allowed to play golf during the season, I dont think that it affected my arm recovery at all. If anything, it helped to get the blood flowing and the muscles loose in a way that wasnt lifting weights and wasnt just running for a few miles.

I know with myself, the issue wasnt if we were allowed, it was more around just not having enough time, and the major league guys get even less off days than we did. They play pretty much 6 days a week and even on the days the starters dont pitch, they are still getting to the ballpark around 12 or 1pm so they can get their work done before the everyday players need to start warming up for the game that evening. 

• Informative 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

29 minutes ago, klineka said:

I played college ball as a pitcher and we were allowed to play golf during the season, I dont think that it affected my arm recovery at all. If anything, it helped to get the blood flowing and the muscles loose in a way that wasnt lifting weights and wasnt just running for a few miles.

I know with myself, the issue wasnt if we were allowed, it was more around just not having enough time, and the major league guys get even less off days than we did. They play pretty much 6 days a week and even on the days the starters dont pitch, they are still getting to the ballpark around 12 or 1pm so they can get their work done before the everyday players need to start warming up for the game that evening. 

Interesting, I had no idea.  I figured it was a lot of "rest those arms" over the days.  Thanks!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

I agree.  Would he be more successful at going the Paper Tiger route than Tom Coyne was?  Probably.  Would I bet on him making it, even if he devoted himself full time?  Probably not.  In the world of the professional tours, scratch is [redacted] and there are plenty of caddies who were plus handicaps and NCAA All-Americans in college, captains of their team at some point.

It'd be pretty hard to tell a player in their contract they can't play golf lol.  Of course they're allowed

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

32 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

It'd be pretty hard to tell a player in their contract they can't play golf lol.  Of course they're allowed

Hard?  Depends.  I wouldn't be surprised if some sports contracts had rules limiting activities they can participate in.  I realize there's a big difference, especially risk wise, between golf and bungee jumping in one's spare time.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Hey guys, relatively new to the site, but I've been reading this thread (big GSW fan, so obviously I love what Curry's done in this event so far). Apart from what this is doing for golf's exposure - Curry being a megastar at the moment - I was also thinking about the impact this could have on Under Armour's status in the golf retail/equipment kingdom. A few days ago on the first, UA reported their shares fell (though less than expected), but they saw growth within their golf sector. We can pretty much attribute this to Spieth's recent hot streak (man, can UA pick their guys or what..) but I'm thinking if this "Curry experiment" keeps attracting eyes/clicks/interest (and Spieth stays hot), UA could be in line for a big push to challenge the top dogs for apparel/shoes/etc. What do you guys think? Any chance UA can get up there more so than they already are? Or do they need more legitimate tour players under contract like Spieth? 

7 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Curry is an great athlete who plays golf very well.  His prospects of playing golf professionally are zero. Why would anyone even suggest it?

Look at the scores in the Western Amateur. You have a dozen guys in their teens shooting low and mid sixties every day. Some of them may have a chance at being succcessful pros. Most won't.

Being an NBA superstar who is used to pressure and big crowds is not going to help him. He is an amateur golfer who regularly shoots 76 or 77. That is not someone who is going to make money at golf.

To me, the most impressive thing about his first round was that he was 3 over after 5 and played the remaining holes in 1 over, including a double. 

Very, very impressive. Let's not pretend he is better than 1000 18 year olds you've never even heard of who are playing off +3.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

1 over thru 2 today.  Tied with Sam at 5 over for the tournament.  Seems like the pressure of playing with Curry might be bothering Ryder as much as the tournament golf pressure is bothering Curry. ;-) 

In David's bag....

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

1 over thru 2 today.  Tied with Sam at 5 over for the tournament.  Seems like the pressure of playing with Curry might be bothering Ryder as much as the tournament golf pressure is bothering Curry. ;-) 

9 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

3 over thru 7 currently.

Looks like he'll probably finish 3rd to last at this pace (not counting the 3 WD's)  There are two other guys that have given him a several stroke cushion and are still going backwards. :)

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Looks like he'll probably finish 3rd to last at this pace (not counting the 3 WD's)  There are two other guys that have given him a several stroke cushion and are still going backwards. :)

Yes -  essentially 8 over par after 27 holes on a relatively easy  course with 4 guys shooting 62 in round 2. And it looks like the average score in round two for the top 25 is about 66. Yet.....his experience in the NBA is going to help him succeed as a pro golfer, according to some. :hmm:

It would be nice if it could be treated as the novelty it is and be left at that. Good on him, I say. He had more to lose than gain and he has probably exceeded the expectations of many. But the idea that he is anything other than a very good club golfer is preposterous. Kenny G is used to performing in front of crowds too.

Edited by Shorty
  • Like 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 2426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!