IGNORED

Steph Curry Receives Sponsors Exemption into Web.com Event

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The article mentions that he was given the exemption because it will help bolster the publicity of the event.  If that was the goal, it's already achieved.   I don't think Curry will be competitive. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The article mentions that he was given the exemption because it will help bolster the publicity of the event.  If that was the goal, it's already achieved.   I don't think Curry will be competitive. 

Breaking 80 would be a success.

When the Buick Open was in Grand Blanc, MI, usually they gave a sponsor's exemption to a few of the local club pros that people knew.   People wanted to not only see the pros play but also see people they knew.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah… People that get upset about sponsor's exemptions should almost always shut up.

They're SPONSOR's EXEMPTIONS. They exist to boost publicity. The sponsor is, you know, sponsoring the event, so they get a few perks for their millions of dollars. One of them is that they get to pick a few players to play.

Often it's a local guy, or if they can't find people who can boost the publicity, they just choose deserving players.

But the spots can go to a circus clown or a celebrity if they want. Sometimes they do.

If you didn't get a sponsor's invitation but feel you deserved one, and thus, feel screwed by Curry… play better so you don't need to rely on an exemption.

Amen. People forget that golf, like all professional sports, is entertainment. It's paid for by advertising dollars. Always remind yourselves that it could be a lot worse - as @iacas says, they could literally have clowns.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Yeah… People that get upset about sponsor's exemptions should almost always shut up.

They're SPONSOR's EXEMPTIONS. They exist to boost publicity. The sponsor is, you know, sponsoring the event, so they get a few perks for their millions of dollars. One of them is that they get to pick a few players to play.

Often it's a local guy, or if they can't find people who can boost the publicity, they just choose deserving players.

But the spots can go to a circus clown or a celebrity if they want. Sometimes they do.

If you didn't get a sponsor's invitation but feel you deserved one, and thus, feel screwed by Curry… play better so you don't need to rely on an exemption.

So true! As Feherty said, if these event were held for the sole benefit of the pros it would be different. But sponsors host these events to promote their company, and to benefit their customers/clients.

And as I understand it Curry is a pretty good golfer, close to scratch! Don't know what kind of shape his game is in so soon after the NBA Finals.

10 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

Seems to me that sponsor's exemptions fall into one of three categories:

1. Local phenoms

2. Low-handicap celebrities

3. John Daly

And yet John Daly just won on the Champion's Tour.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I had the perfect joke lined up as soon as I read this.  But I then I read further and saw I was beaten to the punch ...

1 hour ago, zipazoid said:

3. John Daly

(I think John fits both of those above descriptions to a tee)

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

(I think John fits both of those above descriptions to a tee)

True story. Back in 2007 I was a volunteer at the Ginn Sur Mer Classic (no longer exists, Daniel Chopra won it) at Tesoro in Port St. Lucie, FL. An end-of-season PGA Tour event after the big names finished their season. They gave out sponsor's exemptions to Derrick Fathauer, a local kid who was a rising amateur back then, now a pro trying to get his footing on tour, and...John Daly. By far and away, Daly had the largest galleries. Wasn't even close. He shot 75-69 to make the cut, then shot 79 & withdrew.

So it goes to @iacas's point about why sponsor's exemptions are given. In this specific instance, Daly's presence definitely ratcheted up interest & made people pay to attend who normally wouldn't. He increased the gate. 

Edited by zipazoid

Make sure he knows the rule on distance-measuring devices, unlike a certain other prominent sports person a few years ago in a then-Nationwide Tour Event.

25 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

the Ginn Sur Mer Classic (no longer exists, Daniel Chopra won it)  

I hope that isn't why they cancelled it. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

14 hours ago, iacas said:

A circus clown would be a great train wreck scenario.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

14 hours ago, chspeed said:

Amen. People forget that golf, like all professional sports, is entertainment. It's paid for by advertising dollars. 

Off topic, but this is why sponsors should be listened to regarding the banning of call-in rule violations.....if they have a problem with it, then the PGA/LPGA has a problem with it

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

• Administrator
5 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Off topic, but this is why sponsors should be listened to regarding the banning of call-in rule violations.....if they have a problem with it, then the PGA/LPGA has a problem with it

Those are two totally different things.

Sponsors don't get to determine how the competition itself is conducted and what rules people will follow. They don't get to change the Rules of Golf like that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, BallStriker said:

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

Those are two totally different things.

Sponsors don't get to determine how the competition itself is conducted and what rules people will follow. They don't get to change the Rules of Golf like that.

Not to mention that every tournament has a different sponsor, so this would mean that each tournament would/could have different rules in that regard?

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Not to mention that every tournament has a different sponsor, so this would mean that each tournament would/could have different rules in that regard?

Yeah.

But let's not just use this topic to back door another topic. We have other topics for those.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

Realized it was Thursday and got excited to see where Curry stood in his first round.  Assumed it was going to be dead last, so I scrolled to the bottom of the page and couldn't find him.  That's when I realized that the tournament is not this week.  In fact, it's not for about 5 weeks.

August 3-6 (to be exact)

TPC Stonebrae

Hayward, CA

Defending champion is Stephan Jaeger, who went wire-to-wire and shot -30.  I don't remember the name but I should:  http://www.pgatour.com/webcom/news/2016/07/28/stephan-jaeger-shoots-58-ellie-mae-classic.html

Edited by Golfingdad

Right....because no major professional sports organization has ever revised their rules to increase popularity.....oh wait.....ummmmmm

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Note: This thread is 2427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!