IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge July 2017

Note: This thread is 2453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for July, 2017! The rules are the same as always:

• Make a detailed post describing your practice every day during the month. Try to limit the number of very short or "ditto" type posts. Describe what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.).
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.
  • On the last day of the month, if you completed the challenge, post about it in red text so I can notice it and give you the award.

Enjoy and practice hard!

Note: you can miss one day per monthly challenge if you have a good reason and still be eligible for the monthly award.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Excited to give this a shot!  

I spent 20 mins this morning chipping into a chipping net working on controlling trajectory.  I've been skulling too many chips lately, and I want to make sure I'm making a proper swing and achieving proper contact.

• Upvote 1

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Enjoy and practice hard!

Did we ever decide how to count days we play, particularly if it's a tournament (where the emphasis shouldn't be on practicing prior)?  I have a few tournaments this month and a club championship next month, but I'm going to aim to achieve this contest fully (I think I made 22-24 days in June).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Did we ever decide how to count days we play, particularly if it's a tournament (where the emphasis shouldn't be on practicing prior)?  I have a few tournaments this month and a club championship next month, but I'm going to aim to achieve this contest fully (I think I made 22-24 days in June).

Playing is totally fine. It's a form of practice. I didn't know there was ever a question about that - sorry.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've spent about 5 minutes just working on setup. I tend to lean my head back towards my trail side which causes my entire upper body to lean that way and causes chunks. It still feels incredibly awkward. Gonna go hit balls in about 2 hours.

July 1 -

Today was remedial work following Friday's semi-successful Amateur circuit round. Focused on long clubs, wedges, and putting.

Long: worked on driver stance, feeling balanced in set-up. Hit about a dozen drives - emphases of don't overswing, and finish high and in balance.

Worked on partial wedges and ranging, especially 48* and 54*. Norm, one of our club's better players, was there too. We both have MD3 wedges (though different lofts), and my shafts are a bit lighter than his. We hit several shots with each other's wedges. He said he might reshaft his wedges into something lighter, the shots just felt smoother with my wedges.

Finally, I worked on my longer putts, in preparation for Amateur circuit's July 10 match at Persimmon Woods GC. Norm had just played a Golf Week Amateur Tour event there last week, and said the course had large, wavy greens that would cause three-putts if your weren't ready. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

7/1/17:

92 days and counting. I didn't have a lot of time this morning, but was able to do five minutes of rehearsal swings in the living room... Basically working on positions.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7/01- centered turns with focus on steady head during downswing 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• iacas pinned this topic
18 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I believe you post in the wrong thread.  Try here:

July 2017 5 minutes daily practice

Thanks - I looked but did not see a July thread open when I posted , but I wanted to document it for future credit

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Spent 15 minutes working on pitch shots in my back yard.  Watched videos last night from TST and Stan Utley.  Tried to pivot and end up on my left side. Some shots went straight right.... working on it.  

My first attempt at 5 munutes per day.  ?

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Today I went to the range.  With range balls, outdoors, on grass.  I easily spent 5+ minutes (the first five balls took at least that long) with my routine for my latest evolvr lesson:  slow backswing, keeping the clubface looking at the ball A1 to A3, then hands high to A4, and then a slow checked downswing.  1-2 of these at the ball, then a practice swing at the ground (moving, of course), and lastly a swing at the ball.

After about 20 balls with the 6-iron (and getting some video for evolvr, might upload to my "My Swing!" thread later this week), I hit several drivers, focusing on setup and slow swing -- my aim after a bad round with the driver is to just get the ball in play for now.  I think it's a setup issue, and I had several good drivers ... and a few bad ones.

3 hours ago, todgot said:

My first attempt at 5 munutes per day.  ?

30 more to go in July :-)  Keep up the good work.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

July 2 - tested the wrist yesterday with about 15 minutes of pitching and 5 practice swings, no ball, in grass with no pain. So today I did about 45 minutes of practice hitting foam balls into a net. Most of the swings were slow working, on my drills to reduce the casting that has creeped up in my swing. 

I had no pain at impact, but I also had a compression brace on. I'm icing it now and we will see how it responds. 

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

July 2: Hit 2 buckets of balls into my net in my yard.  Worked on releasing the club and making a proper turn with my irons without getting too quick and pulling the ball.   Saw improvement toward the end of the session as my rhythm improved.  

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

July 2

Spent 15 minutes practicing putting. Started off with very long putts, practicing lagging: the Persimmon Woods course I will play July 10 has large greens with lots of dips and rolls, according to golfer who played there last week.

Next, I worked on 3, 5 and 10-foot putts. I missed four putts inside 4 feet last time I played. Key seems to be keeping flat left wrist during address and swing. A softer wrist lets wobble into stroke.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

7/2/17:

93 days in a row. I didn't have a lot of time this morning, but was able to do five minutes of rehearsal swings in the living room... Basically working on positions.

Then I did some 4-8-12 putting drills this afternoon. Focusing on bead.

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7/02 - slow turns with 8i for steady head and setup/grip checks

-Jonny

Took about 20 slow swings really focusing on making sure my chest doesn't hang back causing fat shots. Also worked on doing the opposite with driver, and feeling my rear leg straighten. Range is closed today.

Note: This thread is 2453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!