IGNORED

Portland Maine Trip August 2017

Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking for some course recommendations in the Cape Elizabeth/South Portland area. My family has decided to take a trip in mid-August to Cape Elizabeth and I'm thinking I might be able to get away one morning for a round.

This might be the only chance I'll ever play golf in Maine, so I'd like it to be a quality course, but not crazy expensive or anything. I'd also prefer something that's not like an hour away if possible. Most of the courses I've looked at in the area so far are all private, with the exception of Sable Oaks.

I'm also open to meet up with TST members in the area to play, too, if anyone is interested.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Paging @jsgolfer, I think he's our resident expert on Maine.  Have a great holiday!:beer:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

27 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Paging @jsgolfer, I think he's our resident expert on Maine.

Now why didn't I think of that? :doh:

28 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Have a great holiday!:beer:

Thanks! All I know for certain is there will be plenty of seafood and lobster. Guess I don't really need much beyond that :beer:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Thanks! All I know for certain is there will be plenty of seafood and lobster. Guess I don't really need much beyond that :beer:

Beer?

That probably goes without saying, but I had to say it.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I live about 45 minutes south of Portland on the ME/NH border but haven't played anywhere within 20 minutes of the city. If you're willing to travel more like 45-50 minutes south I could give some good recommendations. 

I've gone on a stay-and-play trip with a group of guys the last couple years up in Poland. The two better courses of that package, Fox Ridge and Spring Meadow, are both decent and I believe about 30 minutes from Portland. I think Fox Ridge has a nicer layout but at the time Spring Meadow was in better shape.

If you feel like venturing south let me know and I'll play with you if my schedule allows. 

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Paging @jsgolfer, I think he's our resident expert on Maine.  Have a great holiday!:beer:

3 hours ago, billchao said:

As I'm from Maine, hopefully I can give you a few places to play.

For golf, if you can get on Purpoodock Club, fantastic course in Cape Elizabeth, not sure if its 100% private but is top notch.  For public courses, Nonesuch River isn't bad, Sable Oaks is really good and very tough. Both are close to where you be. Willowdale isn't too bad either.

For Lobster/Fried Clams, you need to go to the Lobster Shack on Two Lights Road in Cape Elizabeth.

http://lobstershacktwolights.com/

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

12 hours ago, billchao said:

I'm looking for some course recommendations in the Cape Elizabeth/South Portland area. My family has decided to take a trip in mid-August to Cape Elizabeth and I'm thinking I might be able to get away one morning for a round.

This might be the only chance I'll ever play golf in Maine, so I'd like it to be a quality course, but not crazy expensive or anything. I'd also prefer something that's not like an hour away if possible. Most of the courses I've looked at in the area so far are all private, with the exception of Sable Oaks.

I'm also open to meet up with TST members in the area to play, too, if anyone is interested.

When are you coming?....you might as well head to the valley and play with me, I am only about an hour and 20 minutes, I will take care your round.... Other wise I like Sable Oaks but it is pretty narrow. Dunegrass is neat but greens are sketchy. Cape Neddick or the Ledges are pretty nice. Cape Neddick is on golf now. A relatively cheaper track but often really nice is Spring Meadows in Wells Maine. That is about all I know at the moment.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

22 hours ago, billchao said:

What week are you there? I would love to come up and meet/play. I'm traveling the week of the 7th for work. I've got plenty of vacation and could meet during the week. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 hours ago, billchao said:

If you don't mind driving about 50 minutes, Point Sebago Golf Club would probably be my first choice in the area to play.  I like Sable Oaks a lot, but it kicks my butt every time.

If you were there for longer and had the time I'd go up to the Samoset Resort, the golf course is called "The Pebble Beach of the East", and is a great place to play.  Plus Camden ME is a quintessential coastal Maine town.  

I've played 82 of the courses in Maine, although I've only played a few of the courses to the South of Portland.  The Ledges is pretty nice as @Valleygolfer said and I liked Spring Meadow (A little north of Portland) when I played it, but that was over 10 years ago.  Cape Arundel and Webhannet are also very nice, but not sure if they allow public play, played there in tournaments many moons ago.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

11 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

A relatively cheaper track but often really nice is Spring Meadows in Wells Maine. That is about all I know at the moment.

Are you thinking of Spring Meadows or Old Marsh Country Club? Old Marsh is in Wells (~30 min south of Portland for @billchao) and Spring Meadows is in Gray, about 30 min north of Portland. Old Marsh might be another decent option but I've never played it.

I will also recommend The Ledges in York - that's the course I was going to recommend if driving further south is a possibility. Plus it's about 10 minutes from my house so chances are good I could join.

• Upvote 1

Just now, drmevo said:

Are you thinking of Spring Meadows or Old Marsh Country Club? Old Marsh is in Wells (~30 min south of Portland for @billchao) and Spring Meadows is in Gray, about 30 min north of Portland. Old Marsh might be another decent option but I've never played it.

I will also recommend The Ledges in York - that's the course I was going to recommend if driving further south is a possibility. Plus it's about 10 minutes from my house so chances are good I could join.

Plus if you play the Ledges your about 15 minutes away from Bob's Clam Hut.  :beer:

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

31 minutes ago, drmevo said:

I did say the wrong town. Spring Meadows I liked, Old Marsh is not a favorite. Point Sebago is nice and it's been awhile since playing it. It's a bit narrow as well and if you get in the trees, there's no hitting out of them. Price point is higher and I believe the twilight rates start at 2 but not sure if that still is the deal.

17 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Beer?

That probably goes without saying, but I had to say it.

Of course. And wine for the womenfolk, but I do enjoy good wine myself.

16 hours ago, drmevo said:

I live about 45 minutes south of Portland on the ME/NH border but haven't played anywhere within 20 minutes of the city. If you're willing to travel more like 45-50 minutes south I could give some good recommendations. 

I've gone on a stay-and-play trip with a group of guys the last couple years up in Poland. The two better courses of that package, Fox Ridge and Spring Meadow, are both decent and I believe about 30 minutes from Portland. I think Fox Ridge has a nicer layout but at the time Spring Meadow was in better shape.

If you feel like venturing south let me know and I'll play with you if my schedule allows. 

I'm renting a house in Cape Elizabeth which is about 20 minutes directly south of Portland, I believe. North of the city is probably not an option and the wife would prefer if I didn't drive an hour or more to play because then it turns golf from a morning thing to a half day event.

I mean we are going with extended family so I doubt they'd really miss me that much for half a day, but can't upset the boss or I'm not golfing at all :~(

I'm open to traveling south to meet up.

15 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

As I'm from Maine, hopefully I can give you a few places to play.

For golf, if you can get on Purpoodock Club, fantastic course in Cape Elizabeth, not sure if its 100% private but is top notch.  For public courses, Nonesuch River isn't bad, Sable Oaks is really good and very tough. Both are close to where you be. Willowdale isn't too bad either.

For Lobster/Fried Clams, you need to go to the Lobster Shack on Two Lights Road in Cape Elizabeth.

http://lobstershacktwolights.com/

Purpoodock appears to be private. From what everyone says, Sable Oaks is tight and tough but I can live with that if the course is good. I'll keep it in mind.

Will definitely go to the Lobster Shack, it's like 5 minutes from where I'm staying. Thanks for the recommendation. How is it compared to Day's? Someone told me to go there but it's north of the city, would have to be a special trip.

13 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

When are you coming?....you might as well head to the valley and play with me, I am only about an hour and 20 minutes, I will take care your round.... Other wise I like Sable Oaks but it is pretty narrow. Dunegrass is neat but greens are sketchy. Cape Neddick or the Ledges are pretty nice. Cape Neddick is on golf now. A relatively cheaper track but often really nice is Spring Meadows in Wells Maine. That is about all I know at the moment.

August 13th-20th. That's a generous offer but that might be a little far for travel. Would be happy to meet somewhere in the middle if possible. 

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

What week are you there? I would love to come up and meet/play. I'm traveling the week of the 7th for work. I've got plenty of vacation and could meet during the week. 

Yes we should meet up if possibly. I'm likely to be playing during the week, but open to the weekend if it works better. Our itinerary isn't set in stone yet.

3 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

If you don't mind driving about 50 minutes, Point Sebago Golf Club would probably be my first choice in the area to play.  I like Sable Oaks a lot, but it kicks my butt every time.

If you were there for longer and had the time I'd go up to the Samoset Resort, the golf course is called "The Pebble Beach of the East", and is a great place to play.  Plus Camden ME is a quintessential coastal Maine town.  

I've played 82 of the courses in Maine, although I've only played a few of the courses to the South of Portland.  The Ledges is pretty nice as @Valleygolfer said and I liked Spring Meadow (A little north of Portland) when I played it, but that was over 10 years ago.  Cape Arundel and Webhannet are also very nice, but not sure if they allow public play, played there in tournaments many moons ago.  

If Sable Oaks kicks your butt, I'm in trouble. Probably not an option then.

The problem is it's not a golf trip, it's a family trip. I think they were talking about some boat stuff (whale watching, lobster boats), playing in tidal beaches with the kids, that kind of stuff. I threw out the suggestion that maybe I could play a round since I've never been to Maine and my wife was surprisingly receptive to that so I'm running away with it before she changes her mind ;-)

I'm not sure we were planning on traveling around much once we are there. My kids are 6 and 3, my cousin's kid is 3, so most of our plans kind of revolve around them and what they will enjoy.

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

I'll take a look at the course when I have the chance.

Any possibility we can make a foursome if this place works for everyone? @Valleygolfer @boogielicious

Bill

My Swing Thread

Just looked and Ledges seems like a bit of a drive, too. Might have to start working the missus over ;-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Of course. And wine for the womenfolk, but I do enjoy good wine myself.

I'm renting a house in Cape Elizabeth which is about 20 minutes directly south of Portland, I believe. North of the city is probably not an option and the wife would prefer if I didn't drive an hour or more to play because then it turns golf from a morning thing to a half day event.

I mean we are going with extended family so I doubt they'd really miss me that much for half a day, but can't upset the boss or I'm not golfing at all :~(

I'm open to traveling south to meet up.

Purpoodock appears to be private. From what everyone says, Sable Oaks is tight and tough but I can live with that if the course is good. I'll keep it in mind.

Will definitely go to the Lobster Shack, it's like 5 minutes from where I'm staying. Thanks for the recommendation. How is it compared to Day's? Someone told me to go there but it's north of the city, would have to be a special trip.

August 13th-20th. That's a generous offer but that might be a little far for travel. Would be happy to meet somewhere in the middle if possible. 

Yes we should meet up if possibly. I'm likely to be playing during the week, but open to the weekend if it works better. Our itinerary isn't set in stone yet.

If Sable Oaks kicks your butt, I'm in trouble. Probably not an option then.

The problem is it's not a golf trip, it's a family trip. I think they were talking about some boat stuff (whale watching, lobster boats), playing in tidal beaches with the kids, that kind of stuff. I threw out the suggestion that maybe I could play a round since I've never been to Maine and my wife was surprisingly receptive to that so I'm running away with it before she changes her mind ;-)

I'm not sure we were planning on traveling around much once we are there. My kids are 6 and 3, my cousin's kid is 3, so most of our plans kind of revolve around them and what they will enjoy.

I'll take a look at the course when I have the chance.

Any possibility we can make a foursome if this place works for everyone? @Valleygolfer @boogielicious

Yeah, all of the best courses in Portland are Private.  I used to know a couple members at a couple the country clubs, Falmouth CC and The Woodlands.  Last time I was up, they had moved south.

Try Nonesuch River, it's not a bad track, at least it was pretty decent the last time I was there about 10 years ago.  Used to play it when I visited my cousin.  That's 25 minutes from Cape Elizabeth.

http://nonesuchgolf.com/

Day's is good (it's been years since I've been), I like the Lobster Shack better (this is probably my favorite lobster/clam shack in the Portland area, was there last year and I go every time I go there) and it's a whole lot closer to you.  Day's is in Yarmouth near Freeport, pretty good drive, but if you wanted to do LL Bean with the family, that's right up the road from Day's.  And there's an interesting 9 hole golf course just up the road from Day's as well, Freeport Country Club.

-Jerry

6 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Try Nonesuch River, it's not a bad track, at least it was pretty decent the last time I was there about 10 years ago.  Used to play it when I visited my cousin.  That's 25 minutes from Cape Elizabeth.

http://nonesuchgolf.com/

Looks like they have nice wide holes without a lot of trees. Lots of places I can miss and play from, that's more my speed ;-)

I'll keep it in mind if I end up playing on my own.

6 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Day's is good (it's been years since I've been), I like the Lobster Shack better (this is probably my favorite lobster/clam shack in the Portland area, was there last year and I go every time I go there) and it's a whole lot closer to you.

Ok then that's settled, I'll just go to the Lobster Shack. Saves me a trip up to Day's and easier to get to if I like it and decide to go back.

Bill

My Swing Thread

If you don't like it I'll buy you a beer next time I see you

-Jerry

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Looks like they have nice wide holes without a lot of trees. Lots of places I can miss and play from, that's more my speed ;-)

I'll keep it in mind if I end up playing on my own.

Ok then that's settled, I'll just go to the Lobster Shack. Saves me a trip up to Day's and easier to get to if I like it and decide to go back.

Nonesuch is pretty average. I'll play it but it is nothing special. Definitely a open track.

Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!