Sign in to follow this  
triguy67

light clubheads (irons)

Note: This thread is 1007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 posts / 4003 viewsLast Reply

light clubheads (irons)

Hi everyone, my son is starting to transition out of junior clubs and into clubs with regular weight heads.  He has been using vt max custom junior clubs for the past 4 years which were great for him.  He switched his driver and 3 wood to great big bertha with vtmax shafts and instantly picked up  20 yards.  I'm thinking about switching his irons out as well ( and re-shafting them to fit properly)  I am concerned with swingweight.  Something real heavy would throw him off balance or effect his swing plane.  Does anyone know where I can find comparison charts for weight of different heads? Who tends to make lighter heads with good technology? Are women's clubs using the same head with a different shaft or are some decreasing the weight while including the technology? (  stats on him if that helps 12 yrs old, 55 inches tall,  scores mid 90s from front tees.  Driver swing speed 75mph.)

Thanks

25 minutes ago, triguy67 said:

Does anyone know where I can find comparison charts for weight of different heads? Who tends to make lighter heads with good technology?

The weight of iron heads aren't exactly a state secret, but it's beyond what the average golfer wants to see online or in the annual product booklet. To find out, you may have to e-mail the company for the detail specs. (The OEMs have fulfilled all my requests.)

As for "real heavy," you have to consider both swingweight and total weight (i.e., curb weight?) for the club.

You may already know this, but just in case:

• 9-gram increase in shaft weight = +1 swingweight points
  • 1/2" increase in shaft length = +3 swingweight points
  • 2-gram increase in head weight = +1 swingweight points
  • 5-gram increase in grip weight = -1 swingweight points
    -------------------------------------------

As for clubhead weight, Callaway Big Bertha irons have lighter head weights for women and senior models. Not sure about other iron models/OEMs.

(Edit: Insert BB info)

Edited by WUTiger

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The weight of the shaft is a critical factor. Even a regular iron head will feel very light with a light steel shaft such as XP 95 or a graphite shaft.

Thanks, WITiger, didn't think about the grip but it makes sense.

thanks Arturo,

i would use a very lightweight graphite VTMax  shaft that matches his swing speed.

9 hours ago, ChillyDip69 said:

Try finding an old set of ping s59s, they are a D0 swing weight if I recall correctly. Should be cheap as well. 

Like any set of PINGs, you can order them in whatever swing weight you want, within reason.

And… the shaft, the grip, etc. will all affect the swing weight even with the same heads.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!