IGNORED

What was your best start to a round ever?

MasonAsher2014
Note: This thread is 2472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All I remember is one eagle, birdie start.  Not sure what happened after that.  I've had a handful of 3-under 9's, but can't remember how I got there.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

-3 thru 8th hole in a Mid Am competition. My playing partner was -6 at that point. I ended shooting +2 and he -1.
Very disapointing for both of us.

It was at least a year ago, but I remember going birdie-par-birdie on our easiest area course (Community Dales). Had to wait a bit on the fourth tee, thought about it and promptly pulled my drive into the ditch. Back to reality real fast.

Best I remember and I've done it twice, is to be 3 under through first three holes at Springfield, although done differently both times.

Went Par, Eagle (Par 5), Birdie and then have gone Par, Birdie, Eagle (Par 4).

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Best start? Hard to say for me. Seems a little subjective. But I'm assuming what you mean by "best start" is a much better than normal run of holes, and then a catching the express fail rail to disappointment city. The only round that really jumps out at me is one during the medal play at the US Mid AM years ago. My first round was meh, just enough to keep me in it. But my second round was going really well. I was -3 through 12 or something and I had two doubles and a bogey coming to miss advancing to the match play by a couple strokes. Also only had a par on a short par 5 that the field was ripping apart. Forget what i shot that round exactly, but it was somewhere in the mid 70's. 

My best start to a round was at the Stadium Course at PGA West. I went birdie-birdie-par. I think I ended up shooting in the high 80s when it was all said and done.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• Administrator

Birdie, eagle for "45 watch!"

Five under through seven is my best start of 4+ holes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My best sounds like others.  Started great and the wheels fells off.  

Hunter's Ridge 5/3 of this year:

Par, birdie, par, par, birdie....   double, double, triple, double...ended with an 87.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

-4 thru twelve holes. The last six holes I had two pars, a bogey, then a birdie to get back to -4 with two holes to go and after hitting my tee shot into a deep divot on 17 and making double I ended up with a -2 70. Three more times in the next few years I got to 10 at -3, but never improved on that and ended up with a higher score than 70. The moral of the story turned out to be, the front nine was fairly easy and the back nine could eat your lunch.

+3 through 12 holes back when I was 20 (21 years ago).  I didn't have a handicap index back then, but typically shot in the low/mid-80s up to 90 at worst.  I had never broken 80, and had made date plans w/my new wife (yep, married quite young), and had to cut my round short at 12 holes to keep that promise.  Was "in the zone" for sure...felt like I could even get back close to par, but begrudgingly had to quit after 12.

Who knows if I would've finished well or blown up.  But I've still never broken 80 (just a bunch of 81s).

I know it's a stretch to refer to 12 holes as a "start", but that's my one memory that sticks out.  Plenty of times I've been -1 through 5 or 6, only to meet reality head-on shortly thereafter. :8)

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Birdie, eagle for "45 watch!"

:dance:

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My best start was birdie, par, birdie. Then I played my "normal" golf, and finished with a 39. Also shot 39 on the back to finish with a 78. Pretty good score for me!

On 7/5/2017 at 8:20 PM, MasonAsher2014 said:

I got to thinking about this the other day when I noticed how well I was playing. I started birdie, par, birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie to go -7 thru 7. This would only rival the time I birdied the last five holes on the front at my college's home course to shoot a 30. What has your best start to a round been? -1 thru 1? -5 thru 10? (By the way, I ended up blowing up on the back with two doubles.)

-3 through 11 (3 under on the front and pars on 10 and 11).  Finished the last 7 playing bogey golf for a +4 total of 76.  

Best part was that I was playing with the head pro at my home course and I was a 12 course handicap from the tees we were playing.  At 62, I was also 25 years older than he was, and beat him straight up that day.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

11 hours ago, BamaWade said:

+3 through 12 holes back when I was 20 (21 years ago).  I didn't have a handicap index back then, but typically shot in the low/mid-80s up to 90 at worst.  I had never broken 80, and had made date plans w/my new wife (yep, married quite young), and had to cut my round short at 12 holes to keep that promise.  Was "in the zone" for sure...felt like I could even get back close to par, but begrudgingly had to quit after 12.

Who knows if I would've finished well or blown up.  But I've still never broken 80 (just a bunch of 81s).

I know it's a stretch to refer to 12 holes as a "start", but that's my one memory that sticks out.  Plenty of times I've been -1 through 5 or 6, only to meet reality head-on shortly thereafter. :8)

Wow- I hope your wife realizes the epic sacrifice you made for her! Cutting short a round when you were totally on fire- we need to impress upon her how much commitment to that date you displayed :-D

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

E thru 6 last year I think, 1 birdie, 1 bogey and the rest pars.  Wound up shooting I think 88, +16 for the course I played.  Then this year, on a much harder track (where the Champions Tour plays the Dicks Sporting Goods Open) and this was just a week ago, E thru 5 with a birdie on 1, bogey, par, par and par.  Was +4 thru 9 by far I think my best ever 9 holes, I was so pleased with it I proceeded to shoot +13 on the back 9 lol.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

-3 through 6 holes bogey par eagle birdie birdie par followed by 3 bogeys to turn E. I had a -1 front prior to that and it was a better score but the -3 first 6 was on a more difficult course and at that time by ball striking was better. The eagle I made was driver followed by 8i on a short uphill par 5 but I was killing it back then. I was 168 out and stuck it to about 3 feet with a really high perfectly struck shot that I took over a massive bunker. I repeated that for the next two holes, smashed drives followed by near perfect iron shots, one was almost a hole out with the ball and mark about an inch apart finishing an inch from the hole. Haven't made an eagle since, that was 4 years ago.

Dave :-)

22 hours ago, RandallT said:

Wow- I hope your wife realizes the epic sacrifice you made for her! Cutting short a round when you were totally on fire- we need to impress upon her how much commitment to that date you displayed :-D

Ha -- indeed!  Trust me, she heard about that extreme sacrifice...maybe more than once. ;-)  I played a lot of golf back then (we lived really close to the 'humble' course and membership was cheap).  So I had no leverage to try and push finishing the round.  Plus, I can't remember exactly what the date was, but it was something special that we didn't get to do very often...probably had someone watching our newborn for the evening, so those opportunities were priceless, themselves.  But now, it's just the first of my two 'big fish that got away' stories.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 2472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!