IGNORED

Better ball?

Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone, I play to about a 10 handicap on average. I've been playing Srixon Q stars for some time now and really like them, but I'm starting to feel that I may be better served by a ball that will give me a higher compression and better spin around the greens. The only thing is I really like the price point of the Q star, it doesn't hurt the wallet too much if you chew one up or send one into the forest. Anybody have any suggestions for a higher compression ball with urethane cover that wouldn't break $30-$35?

Try the Snell MTB, $32/dozen, or $160 for 6 dozen (thats under $27/doz).  For me, the performance and feel is pretty much identical to the ProV1.

https://www.snellgolf.com/collections/golf-balls

• Upvote 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 minutes ago, mhodar94 said:

Dave, I was looking at both them and Vice golf. Both seem  to get excellent reviews

I've never tried Vice, can't comment.  I was given the chance to review a dozen of the Snell balls, and was very impressed.   So impressed, I've changed from the Titleist to the Snell.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Try the Snell MTB, $32/dozen, or $160 for 6 dozen (thats under $27/doz).  For me, the performance and feel is pretty much identical to the ProV1.

https://www.snellgolf.com/collections/golf-balls

Another vote for the Snells.  Great ball.

You can also look at prior generations of other premium balls.  I particularly like the Bridgestone B330RXS.  They can be found for about $30.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I've used the Vice Pro balls and love them. I found a Snell ball and used it for one hole before I lost it, so I ccan'tgive an honest review. They do have great reviews, however.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

And another vote for the Snell.  I also have abandoned Titleist in favor of the Snell.  I also really appreciate the hand-written note from Dean Snell every time I buy from him.

Randal

Another thought, use the less expensive low spin balls when the greens are soft enough that they'll stop or even back up on the greens.  Use the premium urethane balls when the greens are hard/less receptive and you need extra spin to stop the balls.  That's what I do and on most greens I play the low spin balls will stop so I'm mostly using the less expensive balls. 

On 7/6/2017 at 4:27 AM, mhodar94 said:

Anybody have any suggestions for a higher compression ball with urethane cover that wouldn't break $30-$35?

The best deal on golf balls
https://www.snellgolf.com/collections/value-packs/products/my-tour-ball-value-pack-6-dozen

The second best is when you see Bridgestone put their premium golf balls on sale at buy 2 get one free, or the rare buy one get one free. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I may have to try the Snells. I usually just get inexpensive, on sale balls and try not to pay more than $15 a dozen or 15 pack. Sxrion, Laddie Precept, Top Flight Gamers.  I see Walmart carries the Snell Get Sum, for around $20.

Where is a good place to buy the Snells, and which is a preferred model?

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Where is a good place to buy the Snells, and which is a preferred model?

Click one of the Snell ads, and it'll take you to the Snell site.

The Get Sum is probably the ball you want, unless you want a tour-level ball, in which case… the My Tour Ball. Pretty easy decision-making as they have just two models (the Get Sum is available in yellow, too).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a couple dozen Snell Get Sum after reading the reviews and wanted to try them anyway. Amazon site also promotes them and free shipping is available without having to get the Amazon Prime if you are willing to wait a few days more. I believe they are carried by Walmart, but unless I am mistaken, that is online only.  somebody recently claimed that Walmart products are often "one off" or retreads. I have not been able to confirm that.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

This will sound like a paid endorsement, it's not.

I have played Titleist balls almost exclusively for 53 years. I've tried other brands (sleeves, not dozens), most felt like hitting rocks in comparison, and always gone back to Titleist. When I won other brand golf ball dozens in Corp events over the years, I quietly gave them away. However...

Yesterday, I lost my last Pro V1 early and played almost a full round for the first time with Snell MTB's (thanks TST & iacas :-)) and I really liked them. I am planning going to order more Snell MTB's. I've been averaging 91 so far this comeback season (7-10 strokes worse than I used to average) so I may not be the most discerning judge, but I couldn't tell any difference - so why pay the considerable Titleist premium even though I have for decades? I had normal distance & height, good spin and soft feel with the Snell MTB. I can always switch back to Titleist, but I don't expect to. YMMV

Edited by Midpack

On 7/6/2017 at 10:04 AM, David in FL said:

Another vote for the Snells.  Great ball.

You can also look at prior generations of other premium balls.  I particularly like the Bridgestone B330RXS.  They can be found for about $30.

Another vote for the Snell MTB and I also like the Bridgestone but play the B330S, they have been on sale buy one get one free for quite some time.  I tried the Vice and it was a good ball, only thing I didn't like was the white color got dull really fast.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!