IGNORED

DJ or Rory?

RWalker84
Note: This thread is 2447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

DJ or Rory  

26 members have voted

1. 1. DJ or Rory

DJ and Rory have to be the hands down most dominant players on tour. Would you agree and if so, when both these guys are playing at their highest levels who do you give the edge to and why?

who do you think will have the better career?

First off, welcome to the SandTrap! Take some time to read the FAQ portion and feel free to update your location and handicap on your profile if you wish, so other members can get a better idea of who you are and what level of golfer you are.

Now into the topic of your post,

How can you consider McIlroy to be one of the top 2 most dominant players on tour?? He doesnt have a win this year in 8 events, missed the cut at a major, and finished 35th at The Players Championship. His last 3 tournaments have been 17th place, missed cut, 35th place. That doesnt exactly seem like "hands down most dominant player on tour" to me. 

DJ has been by far significantly more dominant than McIlroy, with 3 wins already in 12 events, although he too missed the cut at the US Open and at the Memorial prior to the US Open. While I would say that DJ started the season dominant, he wasnt dominating in June with his lowest competitive round being a 73. 

I am curious to hear your reasons why you feel that DJ and Rory are "the hands down most dominant players on tour"

I think DJ will have the better career than McIlroy, but I also think the depth and the amount of great players that are on Tour today is much higher than it was 15 years ago, so I dont think we will see someone dominate for multiple seasons like Tiger once did. 

http://www.espn.com/golf/player/results/_/id/3448/dustin-johnson

http://www.espn.com/golf/player/results/_/id/3470/rory-mcilroy

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the welcome. When I say Rory is dominant I'm not referring to his current record, he's clearly struggling right now but I'm basing it on his skill set. Would you not agree that DJ and Rory when they are on at their peak level are the two most dominating players in golf?

how come you feel Rory won't win a major again? Do you think he's moved on from golf and lost his desire?

The reason I put DJ and Rory up there is they both have tremendous power and great ball striking. The distance they generate is a huge asset. Both are great wedge players and at times (Rory more so pre Nike era) showed great mental game. Would you not agree?

I dont think either of them are dominant players. Very very good players, but i don't think well ever see anything but streaky runs from them. DJ is a more consistant putter than Rory. Id give him the edge over Rory for that. 

For me it has to be Rory for one simple reason.  He has a lot more upside than DJ purely because his putting is what is holding him back the most. On a day when both of them are firing on all cylinders I don't see DJ having a chance against him

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Is there really a "dominant" player on tour right now? It seems to me that's there's a whole gang of incredibly talented players, any one of which can dominate for a short time when they hit a hot streak. Look at Justin Thomas earlier this year. I think the talent pool on Tour is as deep as it's been in a long time.

14 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Is there really a "dominant" player on tour right now? It seems to me that's there's a whole gang of incredibly talented players, any one of which can dominate for a short time when they hit a hot streak. Look at Justin Thomas earlier this year. I think the talent pool on Tour is as deep as it's been in a long time.

I agree with this.

Of the two mentioned, I believe DJ has an all-around better game and the ability to run away with a tournament. But to this point, "dominant" is too strong of a word for any of the tour players.

Jon

I think the x-factor for DJ is how well his wedge game has evolved over the last year. If he has the putter working he's just a monster. 

Do you think Rory is done winning majors? I think if he's going to win he needs to shake something up like getting a new swing coach 

DJ

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Considering winning a major just takes, really, 3 rounds that keep you "in the hunt" and 1 hot round... to say Rory wont win another is foolish.  I'm more confident saying Koepka wont win another before I say Rory wont win another.  I think the reason golf has been declining is because there HASN'T been a consistently dominating force since Tiger.  My brother in law is a prime example lol, he loves to play golf, but watch it on TV?  He stopped when Tiger pretty much stopped.  And he used to only watch when Tiger was playing and near the top of the leaderboard otherwise he didn't care.  There are a LOT of tv viewers like that, they don't care that there is 10 players right now who could be ranked #1.  Only big fans of golf that enjoy watching it like that.  A lot of casual golf viewers probably have no clue who Justin Thomas is.  

And I disagree that either of those two are the "dominant forces" on tour right now, DJ hasn't done anything since he tumbled down the stairs

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Don't agree with Most Dominant, particularly this year. Rory has had a rough go of it and hasn't sniffed a major in some time and DJ has cooled off since his pullout at Augusta. You could make the case that right now Jordan Spieth is the best player in the world and "most dominant" if forced to use that term.

My personal opinion is we're in time where there is no number one player. No dominant player. Lots of parity in the game. Watching the 2013 Open the other day made me miss the days when a major leaderboard looked like that. That was unreal...Woods, Phil, Scott, Stenson, Westwood, ZJ, Cabrera all at the top. Now it's pull a name out of a hat if you look at the Players and US Open this year. Some may like this parity, some may not. That's a debate for one another day. But the point is there is no where near a dominant presence in the game right now.

I went against the grain here and bought low on a struggling Rory. He's five years younger than Dustin, so if he can somehow stay healthy, that's twenty extra major starts (in theory). 

Rory can probably turn this thing around at any time. He's been injured, he's got new equipment, and he just got married. All three of those things could easily be negatively affecting his results on tour. I think at some point he'll find some kind of equilibrium with everything and start chalking up wins again, but that may not be until 2018. I do have faith though that eventually he'll get the right info he needs to improve the areas of his game that are lacking right now. 

Both are world class players though clearly. Should be fun to see how this one plays out. I'm a tad surprised there are currently only two Rory faithfuls who have voted so far! Lol. Keep hope alive, Rory fans! :-D

Constantine

Note: This thread is 2447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!