IGNORED

What's Your favorite club and why?

Maddmaxx63
Note: This thread is 2447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love everything P-7 iron. 

Anything less than P or longer than a 7-iron is still (unfortunately) a 50/50 proposition. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some great stories lol. Just raving the driving range and my 7 iron  was great. My Ben hogan 3 hybrid was good but not really much farther. Practice practice. Let's hope I can keep a few more balls on the fairway and out of the forests ? 

35 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

None, they all betray me at one time or another....

Definitely this.

But I suppose the club I generally feel most warmly towards is my Taylormade Burner Bubble 5W. For whatever reason, my odds of hitting a ball solidly seem better with that club than any other. As my longest club off the floor, it often is required to make up for crappy drives.

7 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Definitely this.

But I suppose the club I generally feel most warmly towards is my Taylormade Burner Bubble 5W. For whatever reason, my odds of hitting a ball solidly seem better with that club than any other. As my longest club off the floor, it often is required to make up for crappy drives.

I honestly can't remember more than maybe 1 or 2 times where you did not hit your 5w well. It's almost always been an automatic shot for you, it's kind of impressive.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I have 2. One I have had for a very long time, the other one I just got only a few weeks ago.

First is my putter. It is the original putter that I got from an Acuity Voltage boxed set which was my first set of clubs back in like 2007 or 2008, I was in high school at the time. I have since upgraded all of my other clubs, but for some reason I cant just quite pull the trigger and take that club out of the bag. I have been putting very well this year averaging less than one 3 putt per round, so I dont feel the need to change it out at this point. Still has the original grip on it as well.

My 2nd favorite club is one that is new to me, a 60 degree wedge, Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind. I haven't had anything higher than a 56 before so I am in love with this. It has changed my entire short game. I can now take a full swing from 90-100 yds where before that would have been a choked down or lower powered 56 which never worked out well. I can get out of bunkers great now, and I rarely thin one with this club. Easily my go to club inside 100 yds unless I am in the rough just off the green and want to do a chip and run or something. Picked it up used from 2ndswing website for about $40 and easily has paid for itself in shots that I have saved and the confidence it gives me for pitch/chip shots.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I don't think that I could pick a "favorite" club.  The right club for whatever shot I'm facing is always going to be my "favorite".

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

58 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I honestly can't remember more than maybe 1 or 2 times where you did not hit your 5w well. It's almost always been an automatic shot for you, it's kind of impressive.

You must be catching me at my best with that.

When it goes wrong is when I let my wrists snap through. The result is the mother of all hooks. If I keep my wrists where they're supposed to be, it works pretty well.

Edited by mcanadiens

It's the putter for me. I think I could probably score close to my hdcp with only my six iron and my putter. In fact I may give that a try once my course re-opens after the renovations.

Without question its my 23 degree Ping G25 Hybrid.  I hit it more consistently then any other club in my bag.  It's my 190 - 200 yard club and I feel comfortable using it in all sorts of situations and/or lies. 

On 7/10/2017 at 10:35 AM, Jeremie Boop said:

my putter has been my best friend as of late, saving me quite a few strokes.

you know?  every single time I make a putt I've saved at least one stroke......  :-P

for me, I've been really fond of my Lob Wedge this season (58 degree Mack Daddy 2).  It's for anything from greenside to nearly 90 yards.  It's a lot of fun to think "ok, now THIS is what 67 yards 'feels' like" and then actually hit it that far....

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

On 7/10/2017 at 10:38 AM, Kalnoky said:

I love everything P-7 iron. 

Anything less than P or longer than a 7-iron is still (unfortunately) a 50/50 proposition. 

I feel the exact same way

My favorite club is a Taylormade R1 driver with a 55 gram R shaft.   I bought it used for $80.  It has a little dent in the head which I only noticed recently.  But I love that club.   It has an adjustable head, which I adjusted to 12 degrees of loft.   For some reason, with that club, I can take the most natural-feeling, free-flowing, loose, hard swing at the ball.  I take a nice slow backswing, then I make a forward shift with my hips, making sure I keep my head behind the ball, and on the downswing I try to feel like I'm getting my right elbow under my left elbow (just a feel, maybe not real), kind of lay the club back like a flat baseball swing, and I can really drive the ball out there, very straight.  

The only bad thing about it is that it makes a very loud noise when I hit it on the driving range.   A little embarrassing. 

Edited by Marty2019

Honestly, which ever one that does what I want it to do. I love when I hit the big dog well. Yesterday was one of those days.... at least most of the round. I also love when I am knocking my wedges stiff... I just wish my putter was working at the same time.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I have overpriced Mizuno irons and a Titleist driver, yet my favorite club is still an inexpensive Jack Nicklaus VMax 5w. I think I paid $35 for it new on the discount rack several years ago. 

I don't know why it's so easy to hit, but when I'm on with it I get a lot of height, not a lot of side spin, and relatively good distance. I just line up and swing easy.

I haven't been practicing as much as I should with my fairway woods and it's showing up in the form of mishits of late, but that has nothing to do with the club.

Jon

8 hours ago, spider said:

7-wood. I get 200+ yards, it's straight and is great out of the rough. I use it on 3 shot par-5's. 

I've never been any good with woods out of rough. Do you approach the shot differently?

My 3H has been very reliable lately, so I will promote it to favorite club status. I hit it between 180 and 200 depending on conditions and lie.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!