Sign in to follow this  
yamhang

Can you spin the ball with wedge? How?

Note: This thread is 4288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

22 posts / 11579 viewsLast Reply

I always wondering if I could spin my wedge shot like a pro. You see, I play mostly in far east and the greens are relatively harder than the Parkland course in the US, the closest thing would be a shot stopped dead on the green and never really see any shot being spun back past the flag. May be I'm not hitting my approach in certain way to generate enough spin on the putting green. Please share your thoughts.

In addition to others good advice of how to get it to happen (i.e. steep, hitting down on ball). I'd also contribute keep your hands soft and wrists loose and quick. Tension in hands, wrists or forearms make this shot almost impossible.

When first learning this technique to hitting the ball, I'd recommend trying to get the ball to spin and check with chips and short pitch shots first. It's an easy way to get started and it's like a stepping stone to full swing shots. It won't spin as much as full shots will for you, but it will enough that you'll know by visual feedback whether you're doing it right. I chip/pitch indoors all winter using wiffle golf balls, and even they will spin enough to check up. It's also just a good winter drill to keep chipping practice. Good luck!

you really don't need to spin the ball back. Having the ball stop where it lands is your best bet

Errr.... not always

Last round I had a nightmare pin tucked 5 feet in front of the green behind a bunker that was behind a river!!! And behind all the green.... I had to play a 90 yards risky flop to stay near the pin, and finally made birdie, but it would be easier to shot the center of the green and let it spun back to the pin

On the greens I play on back spin is almost impossible, you can get a couple of hops and stop if your lucky.

When I go to good greens however spin becomes a bit of a problem, so yes I can spin the ball, its all about strike and ball flight.

yea usually my ball just spins back a foot or so. But yesterday i was playing off of grass with dirt under it. I really hit down on my gap wedge and thhe ball looked perfect. The ball mark was about 2 inches from the hole. Guess where the ball ended up? 15 feet below the hole because it spun so much. That sucked haha

Note: This thread is 4288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!