IGNORED

LPGA To Enforce more Strict Dress Code

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, iacas said:

His point was that she didn't "dominate" it, and that was a hand-selected course because it was one of the shortest the guys play. It's not "long" by even my standards, and I'm far from a PGA Tour player.

Yeah. She should have played more men's events.  Tough to judge her based on two rounds with a complete media circus surrounding her. Tough to judge any golfer based on just two rounds in any circumstance.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, lastings said:

Yeah. She should have played more men's events.  Tough to judge her based on two rounds with a complete media circus surrounding her. Tough to judge any golfer based on just two rounds in any circumstance.  

Regardless… I think it's incorrect to say she "dominated" "long courses." She didn't play any "long courses."

Not on topic anyway. Annika always dressed professionally, on that we will all agree.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My guess is that this has less to do with on-course dress and much more to do with what is worn at sponsor events. If players showed up at such events with cut-offs, jeans with holes, work-out clothes, etc., sponsors would rightly complain. The LPGA can't afford to lose more sponsors unless every event ends up is some world area other than the U.S.  The LPGA probably figured they should kill two birds with one stone and also address on-course attire, since I'm sure that has generated some concerns as well (and if those complaints come from the people controlling the purse strings, the LPGA is obliged to respond or else say goodbye to the people paying the bills). This would also explain the seemingly odd timing since the LPGA is undoubtedly trying to wrap up next seasons' commitments.

Just now, gregsandiego said:

Could the whole thing have been a ruse to get more people to tune in to see what they are missing ?

I don't think so. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I find it astonishing that professional athletes aren't left alone to choose their own outfit for optimal performance.  If a player is going to score better in yoga pants, sleeveless tops or jeans (or anything else, for that matter) then I think they should be allowed to.  And, for what it's worth, I think the same principle should apply on all of the tours - when I go to my local tournaments (the HSBC Championship in Abu Dhabi and the Omega Ladies Masters/Desert Classic/DP World Championships in Dubai) a number of players look uncomfortable in the heat and seem far more relaxed in shorts during practice rounds.

It may not be a position universally supported, but I tend to think that the dress-codes, rules etc. that have been a part of golf and golf clubs for centuries are archaic and holding the sport back.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I find it astonishing that professional athletes aren't left alone to choose their own outfit for optimal performance.  If a player is going to score better in yoga pants, sleeveless tops or jeans (or anything else, for that matter) then I think they should be allowed to

A bit of a stretch don't you think? Yoga pants improve a professional golfers score? I think what's being missed is the dress code is really more about off course public relations. As far as on course, golf is a sport of tradition. If you watch films up to the 60's, even spectators are dressed up. Men are wearing suits with hats. Even some players are wearing ties and dress shirts. A 'Gentleman's Game.' Obviously those days are gone. I think the powers that be just don't want to see golf become just another athletic event where one can't even decipher what sport is being played. Golfers have come out looking like they're about to do a Cross Fit session. Not negative or offensive by any means, but just straying so far from tradition. And I also feel the LPGA has forever been trying to grow ladies golf for golf; for their skills and competition, for the love of the game. Not wanting to be watched because some trendy ladies are coming out in pelvic length skirts and plunging neck lines. Just my two cents here.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

20 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I also feel the LPGA has forever been trying to grow ladies golf for golf; for their skills and competition, for the love of the game. Not wanting to be watched because some trendy ladies are coming out in pelvic length skirts and plunging neck lines. Just my two cents here.

Lower ranked attractive players seem to me to get more camera time than less attractive players of equal or slightly better scores.

Let the women wear what they want, and provide coverage based on score instead of skin.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MRR said:

Lower ranked attractive players seem to me to get more camera time than less attractive players of equal or slightly better scores.

Let the women wear what they want, and provide coverage based on score instead of skin.

Well, feel ain't real...lol. Seriously, you'd have to provide stats, some sort of proof to that. I watch a fair amount of LPGA...and I see it as any other PGA or LPGA, leaders get more coverage but they try to show notables when there's a lull. Notables being for reasons other than what they wear.

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well, feel ain't real...lol. Seriously, you'd have to provide stats, some sort of proof to that. I watch a fair amount of LPGA...and I see it as any other PGA or LPGA, leaders get more coverage but they try to show notables when there's a lull. Notables being for reasons other than what they wear.

See my post #8. We've also seen coverage over the past year of some blonde model who decided to be a golfer.  I don't remember her actually making it into a tournament, though.

The difference isn't much, but when the leaders aren't swinging, the cameras seem to be on the attractive players.

Again, personal perception.

1 minute ago, MRR said:

See my post #8. We've also seen coverage over the past year of some blonde model who decided to be a golfer.  I don't remember her actually making it into a tournament, though.

The difference isn't much, but when the leaders aren't swinging, the cameras seem to be on the attractive players.

Again, personal perception.

Paige Spirinac? Spelling issue here. I think she did play in a tournament. I've seen her in some pretty short skirts alright. But she's certainly more an off course presence. I believe she has a YouTube channel.

53 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

A bit of a stretch don't you think? Yoga pants improve a professional golfers score? I think what's being missed is the dress code is really more about off course public relations. As far as on course, golf is a sport of tradition. If you watch films up to the 60's, even spectators are dressed up. Men are wearing suits with hats. Even some players are wearing ties and dress shirts. A 'Gentleman's Game.' Obviously those days are gone. I think the powers that be just don't want to see golf become just another athletic event where one can't even decipher what sport is being played. Golfers have come out looking like they're about to do a Cross Fit session. Not negative or offensive by any means, but just straying so far from tradition. And I also feel the LPGA has forever been trying to grow ladies golf for golf; for their skills and competition, for the love of the game. Not wanting to be watched because some trendy ladies are coming out in pelvic length skirts and plunging neck lines. Just my two cents here.

I would imagine that a professional golfer wears an outfit that the professional deems will giver the best chance of victory in the tournament.  Whether that is because of comfort (i.e. the shorts in my example), style (i.e. confidence derived from the way that he or she looks), or even financial (i.e. a sponsor pays the professional to wear something, and sponsorship helps the player with his or her career) does not really matter to me.  I may be being overly naïve, but I think that a professional striving to improve their scores is more important than tradition.

Doctors used to wear ties in surgery (until they realized how unhealthy that was) and lawyers used to wear hats even in the office (until, one assumes, they realized how weird that was) and other such examples are apparent in every profession, but these things change with the times.  I hope that golf will do the same as, in my view, it will have a positive knock-on effect to those considering taking up the sport.

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Poor choice of argument for comparison.  Back in the day, men even wore coat and tie to baseball games, and that's never been considered a "Gentleman's Game".  The attire for most sports is aimed at the most comfort which still supports performance.  In my opinion, making golfers wear long pants and tucked shirts in 95° temps with 90% humidity, solely for the sake of someone's idea of "tradition", is just plain stupid.  Players should be held to a certain standard, but I see no issue with shorts if that's what they want to wear in the interest of comfort.  

Even if they do crack down as intimated, the women still have a far more liberal set of options for on course wear.  Shorts, skorts, slacks, etc., options which the men don't get.  Men are stuck with slacks, and even though some have tried to break the mold (Daly, Fowler), they still are stuck just wearing stupider looking pants because the PGA Tour is stuck in the past and can't seem to see the light.

Clothing styles have always been constantly changing, and golf attire is no exception. The only problem with so-called "acceptable" golf clothing is that it's usually about 30+ years out of date with the rest of the world.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

12 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Poor choice of argument for comparison.  Back in the day, men even wore coat and tie to baseball games, and that's never been considered a "Gentleman's Game".  The attire for most sports is aimed at the most comfort which still supports performance.  In my opinion, making golfers wear long pants and tucked shirts in 95° temps with 90% humidity, solely for the sake of someone's idea of "tradition", is just plain stupid.  Players should be held to a certain standard, but I see no issue with shorts if that's what they want to wear in the interest of comfort.  

Even if they do crack down as intimated, the women still have a far more liberal set of options for on course wear.  Shorts, skorts, slacks, etc., options which the men don't get.  Men are stuck with slacks, and even though some have tried to break the mold (Daly, Fowler), they still are stuck just wearing stupider looking pants because the PGA Tour is stuck in the past and can't seem to see the light.

Clothing styles have always been constantly changing, and golf attire is no exception. The only problem with so-called "acceptable" golf clothing is that it's usually about 30+ years out of date with the rest of the world.

The lightweight material golf pants and shirts are made out of these days is very efficient at cooling the body. I'd say wearing shorts is a very minimal benefit compared to them. That said, yes, what females can wear is actually much more varied than what the males can wear so this new dress code is basically just a set of common sense standards for what a professional athlete should wear when doing things associated with the LPGA.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

25 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Even if they do crack down as intimated

I think my point was that I don't see it as cracking down by just asking professionals to not show off their cheeks and chests, or to dress 'professionally' at sponsor events.

Just now, Jeremie Boop said:

The lightweight material golf pants and shirts are made out of these days is very efficient at cooling the body. I'd say wearing shorts is a very minimal benefit compared to them. That said, yes, what females can wear is actually much more varied than what the males can wear so this new dress code is basically just a set of common sense standards for what a professional athlete should wear when doing things associated with the LPGA.

This is a matter of opinion and individual metabolism.  For me, I need air moving over my skin or I sweat like a marathon runner just riding a golf cart.  I virtually don't even get any slacks out of my closet between April and October unless we are camping in the mountains.  One reason that I quit marshaling for the now defunct Castle Pines tour stop was because they required us to wear long pants, and in August, temps are typically in the mid 90's most days.  Even with unlimited free water (we got to access the coolers on the tee boxes, just like the players do), I was always very dehydrated at the end of an 8+ hour day on the course.  I can play 36 holes of golf in shorts with my shirt untucked and be far more comfortable that I am in even the lightest slacks.  

If I was required to play golf in long pants, I'd probably find another way to spend my leisure time.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

5 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

This is a matter of opinion and individual metabolism.  For me, I need air moving over my skin or I sweat like a marathon runner just riding a golf cart.  I virtually don't even get any slacks out of my closet between April and October unless we are camping in the mountains.  One reason that I quit marshaling for the now defunct Castle Pines tour stop was because they required us to wear long pants, and in August, temps are typically in the mid 90's most days.  Even with unlimited free water (we got to access the coolers on the tee boxes, just like the players do), I was always very dehydrated at the end of an 8+ hour day on the course.  I can play 36 holes of golf in shorts with my shirt untucked and be far more comfortable that I am in even the lightest slacks.  

If I was required to play golf in long pants, I'd probably find another way to spend my leisure time.

Well, you may sweat like a farm animal because you have direct sun beaming on your exposed skin. The North Africans and Nomads don't wear full body clothing because it looks cool. They cover themselves with light clothing to protect the sun from directly beaming their skin.

Note: This thread is 2392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!