IGNORED

LPGA To Enforce more Strict Dress Code

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

56 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Poor choice of argument for comparison.  Back in the day, men even wore coat and tie to baseball games, and that's never been considered a "Gentleman's Game".  The attire for most sports is aimed at the most comfort which still supports performance.  In my opinion, making golfers wear long pants and tucked shirts in 95° temps with 90% humidity, solely for the sake of someone's idea of "tradition", is just plain stupid.  Players should be held to a certain standard, but I see no issue with shorts if that's what they want to wear in the interest of comfort.  

Even if they do crack down as intimated, the women still have a far more liberal set of options for on course wear.  Shorts, skorts, slacks, etc., options which the men don't get.  Men are stuck with slacks, and even though some have tried to break the mold (Daly, Fowler), they still are stuck just wearing stupider looking pants because the PGA Tour is stuck in the past and can't seem to see the light.

Clothing styles have always been constantly changing, and golf attire is no exception. The only problem with so-called "acceptable" golf clothing is that it's usually about 30+ years out of date with the rest of the world.

Amen!  I don't see much wrong with the LPGA dress as it is and surely think the PGA could loosen up some without damage to the "professional image". 

• Upvote 1

Butch

22 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well, you may sweat like a farm animal because you have direct sun beaming on your exposed skin. The North Africans and Nomads don't wear full body clothing because it looks cool. They cover themselves with light clothing to protect the sun from directly beaming their skin.

They are also born to it and live it their whole lives.  Sun isn't the issue, I can find shade to park in between shots 90% of the time.  Temperature and humidity are the issues that I don't deal with well.  I was born and raised in Minnesota, lived 9 years in north central Montana.  I'm conditioned from birth to a cooler climate.  Colorado is as close to a warm climate as I can live in year round.  We lived in the Bahamas for 2½ years, and left mostly because I suffered unbearably from April thru early November living in a tropical climate.  

Here in Colorado, I have to recondition my body every 6 months to adjust from 100° summer highs to 0° winter lows.  My natural metabolism is better suited to the lower end of that scale.  When we lived in Denver, I used to go out to the mailbox through snow in my bare feet.  I wore shorts to play golf in 50° temperatures.  I'm NOT a North African, I'm a North American.  I know what works for me and what doesn't, and I can't believe that I'm the only person in the world who is uncomfortable playing golf in long pants when the temperature is above 70°.

Sorry to get off the subject.... back to the LPGA. 

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pants and tucked shirt=hotter than untucked shirt and shorts.

Part of me wants to say tradition matters and people should get dressed up for golf.  Pros should look like pros etc.

If a gun were put to my head though I'd say I don't care what is worn.  I wouldn't mind shorts on the PGA.  To me a persons actions mean more than their fashion.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I know what works for me and what doesn't, and I can't believe that I'm the only person in the world who is uncomfortable playing golf in long pants when the temperature is above 70°.

You're not alone.   Look at most public golf courses on a day above 70º and you'll see 90% of the guys wearing shorts.   I'm in your corner.    Private courses though are another matter. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
7 hours ago, MRR said:

Lower ranked attractive players seem to me to get more camera time than less attractive players of equal or slightly better scores.

Let the women wear what they want, and provide coverage based on score instead of skin.

I don't think that's terribly accurate. I think you're seeing what you want to see.

The women do not get to wear whatever they want to wear because if it offends sponsors, then that would just be incredibly stupid.

Also, "wear what they want?" Well what if on a hot day a gal came out in a bikini? That'd be okay? You'd probably say no. It's not professional. So you agree with there being a line… you just disagree with where the line is drawn.

7 hours ago, MRR said:

See my post #8.

Olafia Kristinsdottir is a golfer. She's not a model. http://www.lpga.com/players/olafia-kristinsdottir/98931

The LPGA shows the stars the same way the PGA Tour does. When Lydia Ko is playing but six shots back, they'll often cut to show her shots, even though she's not particularly "model-like" or dressed provocatively.

7 hours ago, MRR said:

We've also seen coverage over the past year of some blonde model who decided to be a golfer.  I don't remember her actually making it into a tournament, though.

Then we haven't seen coverage of her in an LPGA Tour event.

And if you're talking about Paige Spiranac… she's a golfer first. She played college golf at University of Arizona, IIRC.

7 hours ago, MRR said:

Again, personal perception.

Yep.

And even if what you're saying is accurate at all… they'll still be attractive players without:

• racerbacks
  • butt cheeks sticking out
  • cleavage popping
  • wearing cut-offs or ripped jeans to pro-am parties

No?

6 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I would imagine that a professional golfer wears an outfit that the professional deems will giver the best chance of victory in the tournament.

So per the above… you're okay with a player wearing a bikini? Even if the people paying the bills would put their foot down WAY before that? Without the sponsors, the players don't have an event in which to play..

Whether that is because of comfort (i.e. the shorts in my example), style (i.e. confidence derived from the way that he or she looks), or even financial (i.e. a sponsor pays the professional to wear something, and sponsorship helps the player with his or her career) does not really matter to me.

How does wearing shorts that cover the bottom of your butt cheeks affect your performance? Do you honestly believe wearing shorts with an extra inch or two of fabric is going to have any effect on their play?

I hope that golf will do the same as, in my view, it will have a positive knock-on effect to those considering taking up the sport.

So you're okay with players wearing string bikinis if they can tell you they honestly believe that they'll play better?

Cuz if not, like I said above, you agree… just not with where the line is drawn.

5 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I think my point was that I don't see it as cracking down by just asking professionals to not show off their cheeks and chests, or to dress 'professionally' at sponsor events.

Yep. It's pretty tame. They're not forcing pants, long-sleeve collared shirts, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

Cuz if not, like I said above, you agree… just not with where the line is drawn.

Agreed.  To be quite specific; I think that Michelle Wie looks like a professional golfer in her attire.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, MRR said:

Agreed.  To be quite specific; I think that Michelle Wie looks like a professional golfer in her attire.

I don't think she has to change her attire. If she does it's not much. She has worn a few racerbacks, but not always or often. Some of them have little collars, too.

The memo addressed things we may not or definitely are not seeing, like:

• what EVERY pro is wearing.
  • what pros are wearing to "pro-am parties."
  • what the gals on the Symetra Tour are wearing.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2017-07-14 at 11:19 AM, MRR said:

It's pretty much the trademark of Shanshan Feng to wear cow pants one day of a tournament.  No different than John Daly's allowable unfashionable attire.

She did wear her cow outfit today :dance:

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

8 hours ago, iacas said:

So per the above… you're okay with a player wearing a bikini? Even if the people paying the bills would put their foot down WAY before that? Without the sponsors, the players don't have an event in which to play..

How does wearing shorts that cover the bottom of your butt cheeks affect your performance? Do you honestly believe wearing shorts with an extra inch or two of fabric is going to have any effect on their play?

So you're okay with players wearing string bikinis if they can tell you they honestly believe that they'll play better?

I know that it is an extreme example, but I really would not have an objection to an LPGA Tour (or PGA Tour, for that matter) player wearing a bikini if they wanted to.  These are professional athletes, who are we to tell them what will or will not improve their scores?

Sponsorship is an interesting angle; do you really think that sponsors of professional golf tournaments are concerned about what the players are wearing?  I doubt it.  I don't see anything offensive being worn, just players trying no ways to stay cool, swing easier, look good etc.  Is it not also the case these days that the majority of players will have their outfits chosen by sponsors (this is my hunch but I may well be wrong - that definitely seems to be the case towards the top end of the men's tour) and not the other way around?

As for the "short" shorts, I have no idea how they improve scores.  But I would imagine that they would help, otherwise why would anyone wear them to a professional golf tournament where the objective is to score as low as possible (and the players' livelihood depends on that)?  I am not cynical enough to believe that LPGA Tour professionals are choosing outfits in tournaments just to satisfy drooling spectators...

• Administrator
3 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Sponsorship is an interesting angle; do you really think that sponsors of professional golf tournaments are concerned about what the players are wearing?

Absolutely.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, arab_joe said:

But I would imagine that they would help, otherwise why would anyone wear them to a professional golf tournament where the objective is to score as low as possible (and the players' livelihood depends on that)? 

Could potentially be untrue for some golfers. I would guess several Female Golfers have had clothing deals that rivaled, if not greatly exceeded, their potential revenue from Tour Winnings. That is IF we can draw a comparison between Men's and Women's sports. I know they're very different economically, but IIRC, Michael Jordan made a TON more money off of his shoes than his Basketball contracts and he was the best. 

Edited by Joeyvee
  • Upvote 1

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

8 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Sponsorship is an interesting angle; do you really think that sponsors of professional golf tournaments are concerned about what the players are wearing?

Are ya kidding? Of course. Hell, Ricky Fowler got his boost simply because of that alone. You see all those kids out there wearing bright orange/green outfits? Hell my 11 year old wanted orange Puma shorts and an orange shirt to boot and he doesn't even play golf.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Two different takes on Sponsorship;

As @Vinsk points out, player sponsors may actually want less restrictive codes so that their particular brand can be showcased.  They have a product and an image to project.  I would think that 50 years ago, Ricky's outfits would have been severely frowned upon.

The other side is the tournament sponsor.  We are looking at (compared to other professional sports) rather stuffy and historically conservative country clubs.  Many clubs' patrons like that fact and want it to continue.  The big money national/international sponsors likewise would not want to lose customers or potential customers for appearing to condone unwelcome behavior or attire.  They have an image to protect.

I'm not exactly a big fan of the dress code restrictions, but I do feel that the venue and the main sponsors have the right to require reasonable regulations.  If the LPGA is getting enough requests that the powers that be feel that it should be universally applied, so be it.

10 hours ago, arab_joe said:

As for the "short" shorts, I have no idea how they improve scores.  But I would imagine that they would help, otherwise why would anyone wear them to a professional golf tournament where the objective is to score as low as possible (and the players' livelihood depends on that)?  I am not cynical enough to believe that LPGA Tour professionals are choosing outfits in tournaments just to satisfy drooling spectators...

Surely you jest.  Why would anyone wear them? Oh I don't know, to get attention, to get more media time, etc.  You would be surprised how narcissistic some people are in general.  This includes professional golfers (Just look at the instagram and twitter of some of these LPGA players) as they are merely a representative of the society, albeit with a much better talent for playing golf.

I can fully understand from a sponsor's point of view that LPGA players should dress professionally.  I see nothing wrong with a dress code.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I just quickly looked for the shortest LPGA image of a skirt with a collarless sleeveless shirt I could find.  So this is what the uproar is about?

4d7bec12bb0bc9cb6399456df1fe87ec--golfing-outfits-golf-style.jpg

Edited by No Mulligans
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I just quickly looked for the shortest LPGA image of a skirt with a collarless sleeveless shirt I could find.  So this is what the uproar is about?

Not really an uproar. From what I've read I think there's more of an issue regarding off course appearances. I can understand the low neck lines and cheeks exposed being unfavorable to the committee(s). But I don't see what the problem is with the women wearing sleeveless tops. I think the photo above is fine, not sure why that would be an issue.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

24 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

more of an issue regarding off course appearances

"off course" - and THAT would clearly be a severe crossing of any line (without a specific signed contract the player agrees to)

And we wonder why golf continues to have an ongoing image of a certain type of individual - despite many sincere efforts of pros world wide to try to change that image for the better

2017-07-17 13_26_33-Caddyshack (1980) - Photo Gallery - IMDb.jpg

Bill - 

42 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I agree.  Yesterday I watched the LPGA a bit, along with my wife. I, we, saw nothing offensive. Just enjoyed the golf.  Maybe it is sponsor complaints but, I believe that should be between the sponsor and the player. Let big father stay OUT OF IT.

• Upvote 1

Cobra Max Irons......Cobra F7 Hybrid..... 

A cheap Wedge and Driver I picked up online....

A bunch of Balls.... and a bag for it all.

Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!