IGNORED

Question on what can affect your game

Note: This thread is 2443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm very new to golf, have only been on the course 4 times, I play 9 holes. (par 29) I know it's maybe too early to ask this question, but I think I may have gone through THIS my last round.  Excluding the first round (jitters), I was very comfortable the next 2. (49 and 44 for my second and third round)  This last round it just didn't feel good or right.

Before I played this 4th round of my life, I went to the driving range, did ok (2:30),,,, 90 Degrees,,,, was fatigued from working 4 am to noon,,,, (round was at 3:30), forgot my gatorade on a brick wall at the clubhouse,,,, and my Shirt was soaked through.

I'm not looking for someone to say, "sure you're going to play bad like that" but just want to know are there things that happen to you guys that just ruin a round and should you just pay a bad round when you know these things will affect you, or just back out, go home and have a beer?

Thanks,  Joe

Cobra Max Irons......Cobra F7 Hybrid..... 

A cheap Wedge and Driver I picked up online....

A bunch of Balls.... and a bag for it all.

5 minutes ago, swffjvl said:

I'm not looking for someone to say, "sure you're going to play bad like that" but just want to know are there things that happen to you guys that just ruin a round and should you just pay a bad round when you know these things will affect you, or just back out, go home and have a beer?

Welcome to golf!  First, I'll say that if you get a little dehydrated, there's a really good chance you'll perform poorly, no matter what you're doing.  But beyond that, most of us golfers don't need a reason to have a bad day, sometimes it just happens.  With experience, hopefully you'll get past the point where a single thing can put you off your game, that's a big hurdle along the way.  But sometimes, you just have a bad day.  Case in point, on Saturday I tied my best round of the year.  Sunday, feeling just the same, I was 11 strokes higher, close to my worst of the year.  I don't know why the two days were so different, but they were.  

The thing for me is, I'd rather enjoy the day playing golf with my friends (or even with strangers, potential new friends) than sit at home in air-conditioned comfort with a beer.  Its NEVER better to go home instead of playing, at least for me.

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Playing in the heat when you are not use to it, can negatively effect your game. As mentioned above, even a hint of dehydration won't allow your mental and physical golf game work properly.

I play in triple digit heat quite a bit. I start my hydration process the day before my anticipated round. I continue the hydration process during my round, and afterwards. 

Also, if not use to it, the heat might make you play faster, or slower than you normally would, taking you out of your comfort zone.

Perhaps you were just tired. Again, your mental and physical game will not be up to par due to fatigue. 

Even though you may not want to hear it, perhaps it was your time to just have a poor game. Happens to everyone. 

At any rate, after only four rounds, I wouldn't worry too much about a poor showing. It's not a big deal. As time passes, your game will get consistantly better. (consistantly better also includes poorer play) Just hang in there, and enjoy your golf journey. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'm not proud to say that just about any darn thing can affect me.

Case in point, I was playing solo the other day and had three goons roar up behind me playing some kind of race/scramble game. Seeing them come two holes away, I waited on the fourth tee to let them go through. They hole out on three and tell me they'll just cut over the eight. That's the Bandit Country style of golf Kittyhawk is known for. None the less, it just pissed me off a bit more than I already was.

The better golfers don't let this sort of stuff bother them. I'm just not one of those.

Edited by mcanadiens
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

Thanks Gents.

Bottom line I have things to work on, for sure, but mostly I am trying to keep positive no matter where my ball lands. I just can't let things bother me (other than I have to work on this or that) or I'm afraid I won't go forward.

Joe

Edited by swffjvl
  • Upvote 1

Golf happens...but yep, fatigue, dehydration, discomfort and any number of other emotional and physical factors will affect your game.  Hell, sometimes just the alignment of the planets can mess with mine! ;-) 

Welcome to the madness!  :beer:

• Upvote 4

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

Golf happens...but yep, fatigue, dehydration, discomfort and any number of other emotional and physical factors will affect your game.  Hell, sometimes just the alignment of the planets can mess with mine! ;-) 

Welcome to the madness!  :beer:

I fixed that planet alignment problem with the fact that when golfing during daylight hours, if I can't see the planets, they can't see me. However, golf being the game it is, when you fix one thing, another thing shows up. After missing some easy putts the other day, I finally concluded, and was able to blame the possibility of Yellowstone N.P. erupting on my poor putting. Seismic activity made the ground move down here. :-O

• Upvote 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 hours ago, swffjvl said:

Fortunately for you and me, our paychecks don't depend on how well we play.  Some days you play well some days you don't.  The important thing is you're enjoying it (and whatever else you aim to get out of golf, such as exercise).  Getting better will come with time.

Also, as for your shirt soaked through, you may want to look into dri-fit and equivalents, especially for 90 degree weather.  There are various "store brands" where a dri-fit Polo can be had for ~$20.  

• Upvote 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

7 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Fortunately for you and me, our paychecks don't depend on how well we play.  Some days you play well some days you don't.  The important thing is you're enjoying it (and whatever else you aim to get out of golf, such as exercise).  Getting better will come with time.

Also, as for your shirt soaked through, you may want to look into dri-fit and equivalents, especially for 90 degree weather.  There are various "store brands" where a dri-fit Polo can be had for ~$20.  

Yes, I learned wearing cotton is NOT the way to go....I believe it was a major problem, felt like I walked out of a pool with my shirt on and walked to the tee. Will check some out.

You can have a bad round if you... don't care enough, care too much, are dehydrated, too hydrated, too stiff or too limber.  Didn't warm up enough or warmed up too much.  There's also your chakra and what phase the moon is in... those are also important.  This all needs to be graphed and shared in detail on the Game Golf thread.  :-)

• Upvote 2

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

On 7/17/2017 at 7:20 AM, DaveP043 said:

First, I'll say that if you get a little dehydrated, there's a really good chance you'll perform poorly, no matter what you're doing.  But beyond that, most of us golfers don't need a reason to have a bad day, sometimes it just happens.

In early summer, I played in 95* heat and shot 43 + 54 = 97. The difference in the nines? On the back nine, I started to get achy in the forearms and feeling tense and jerky. I was starting to get dehydrated.

In my revised plans, I drink plenty of water the evening before, and then usually drink some Gatorade on the way to the course. On the front nine, I'll drink water, and then switch to Gatorade on the back. A guy I work with is a marathon runner, says that runners, golfers and bicyclists should add in some electrolytes (such as Gatorade) after a couple hours of sustained exercise. Otherwise, staying with just water starts flushing electrolytes out of the body system.

---------------------

Beyond dehydration, it's how you approach your shots. On the range, work on developing your swing. On the course, plan your shot, line it up and hit it. Don't overthink your shots. Just let it happen.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

All good tips. I am going to work on proper hydration, not only for my game, but for me also.  Thanks all.

Just remember the old expression: "The worst day on the golf course is better than your best day at work".

No matter how long you play golf, this crazy game will find a way to get in your head some days had you just play bad.  Look at what is going on at The Open right now on TV.

The trick is to try and shrug it off and keep going.  

• Upvote 1

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

12 minutes ago, scotth said:

Just remember the old expression: "The worst day on the golf course is better than your best day at work".

As much as certain workdays are difficult and others tedious, I don't buy that.

Some days, I do some pretty damn impressive stuff at work. I come home feeling accomplished. That doesn't always happen on the course.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Some days, I do some pretty damn impressive stuff at work. I come home feeling accomplished. That doesn't always happen on the course.

You are lucky to have a rewarding job.   Most people don't find fulfillment in their job, other than a paycheck.   Being retired, I still think a bad day of golf is better than a day at work... and I'm not working anymore.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

I'm with you.  But as @dennyjones points out, not everyone has a fulfilling job.

A little over four years ago I would certainly have agreed with the statement. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

21 hours ago, dennyjones said:

You are lucky to have a rewarding job.   Most people don't find fulfillment in their job, other than a paycheck.   Being retired, I still think a bad day of golf is better than a day at work... and I'm not working anymore.

I have to agree. I work 2 jobs and at this point in life, neither are fulfilling. My wife constantly reminds me of that and to find something that is. I have been with my day Job 38yrs, am now 60, and just want to finish with it and retire.

On 7/19/2017 at 11:36 PM, WUTiger said:

---------------------

Beyond dehydration, it's how you approach your shots. On the range, work on developing your swing. On the course, plan your shot, line it up and hit it. Don't overthink your shots. Just let it happen.

I agree with that.  My worst rounds seem to come when I'm overthinking.  I think I play best when my mind is just blank and I'm enjoying the scenery.  

Note: This thread is 2443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!