IGNORED

2017 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Discussion Thread

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tee times & Pairings have been posted - https://www.theopen.com/TeeTimes#!/R1

Weather looks to be Openeque - per accuweather Wednesday could be a mess with showers, heavy thunderstorms and some local flooding,  Thursday might be the best day high of 64° with no rail predicted and the weekend being

Royal Birkdale weekend 7-22-16.PNG

Tournament Airtimes on Golf Channel (Eastern):
Thursday         1:30 a.m.-4 p.m. (Live) / 10 p.m.-Midnight (Replay)
Friday              1:30 a.m.-4 p.m. (Live) / 10 p.m.-2:30 a.m. (Replay)      
Saturday          4:30-7 a.m. (Live) / 10 p.m.-2 a.m. (Replay)
Sunday            4-7 a.m. (Live) / Midnight-4 a.m. (Replay)

Tournament Airtimes on NBC (Eastern):
Saturday          7 a.m.-3 p.m. (Live)
Sunday:           7 a.m.-2 p.m. (Live)

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Birkdale not an easy course. Got to go back 3 Opens to find the last player to finish in the red there. If those weather conditions hold, give me Even Par right now and I'll take the claret jug on Sunday. 

• nevets88 changed the title to 2017 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Discussion Thread

Bling marker. 

DeChambeau heading over to Birkdale. I dunno, I'd be wary of my passport number showing in a photo. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Did Bryson even have his passport prior to the last tournament?  I remember a few years ago at the John Deere when Sean O'Hair won and got into the British due to his victory, but lacked a passport.  Fortunately, someone at John Deere helped him out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/13/AR2005071302053.html

Also it appears the two people I most wanted to see win the British this year aren't playing. :-(  I'm sure it'll be fun to watch anyway. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

18 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

DeChambeau heading over to Birkdale. I dunno, I'd be wary of my passport number showing in a photo. 

I Bryson flying commercial (kinda looks that way) - did he not catch the John Deere Classic charter?
maybe had to go home to pack {shrug}

Players play, tough players win!

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Did Bryson even have his passport prior to the last tournament?  I remember a few years ago at the John Deere when Sean O'Hair won and got into the British due to his victory, but lacked a passport.  Fortunately, someone at John Deere helped him out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/13/AR2005071302053.html

Also it appears the two people I most wanted to see win the British this year aren't playing. :-(  I'm sure it'll be fun to watch anyway. 

Read more  

Didn't he play in Euro events last year? Or Asia? Could have sworn I remember him playing overseas.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

6 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Didn't he play in Euro events last year? Or Asia? Could have sworn I remember him playing overseas.

Who?  O'Hair?  Maybe.  It was 2005 when he didn't have a passport.

The two guys I wanted to see win a major this year but both aren't playing in the British?  Probably both have passports but I can't recall seeing either play in Europe this year.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

11 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Who?  O'Hair?  Maybe.  It was 2005 when he didn't have a passport.

The two guys I wanted to see win a major this year but both aren't playing in the British?  Probably both have passports but I can't recall seeing either play in Europe this year.

No, BdC. 

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/dechambeau-play-euro-tours-dubai-desert-classic/

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/bryson-dechambeau-plays-well-in-middle-east-is-he-a-game-changer/

:offtopic: 

Waiting to get your passport at the last minute is a bad idea, sure people can pull strings for you, but just do it in advance, save yourself the trouble and money, it expires in 10 years. And you can do it online at home.

Steve

Is anyone else tired of the promos showing the outfits that will be worn by some of the top players?......Just could not care less 

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

10 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I Bryson flying commercial (kinda looks that way) - did he not catch the John Deere Classic charter?

He used the charter.  Saw a pic of the inside of the new charter that John Deere invested in for this year... looked sick lol.  All the players basically had beds they could sleep in lol.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Guessing this will be the link to live stream directly from the source rather than from Golf Channel. I miss ESPN, it provided multiple feeds including the international feed which had barely any commercials.

https://www.theopen.com/LiveCoverage

That's one ugly car.

• Upvote 1

Steve

I realize it's over nine years later, but didn't he learn this lesson at the Open at Torrey Pines?  He had a 3-wood there and no driver and found himself shorter and in the rough.  

The 3-wood instead of driver may have made sense in another era.  But today's drivers are so much more forgiving than 3-woods.

-- Michael | My swing! 

There will be some internal OB this week:

Officials caught several players configuring an alternative route on the ninth hole, aiming their tee shots towards the 10th fairway. This path nipped the ninth's dogleg, bestowing a wedge shot rather than an approach of 170 yards or more. Alas, this dream would only last a day, as the R&A announced on Tuesday a local rule marking the 10th fairway as internal out of bounds from the ninth tee.

Edited by Golfingdad

52 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I realize it's over nine years later, but didn't he learn this lesson at the Open at Torrey Pines?  He had a 3-wood there and no driver and found himself shorter and in the rough.  

The 3-wood instead of driver may have made sense in another era.  But today's drivers are so much more forgiving than 3-woods.

Pretty sure he didn't carry a driver when he won the tournament.

Trollin' is the life

On 7/17/2017 at 11:20 AM, Wally Fairway said:

That's definitely the Quad City Airport terminal; I've been there many times.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Note: This thread is 2432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!