IGNORED

Getting into PURE Grips

58 minutes ago, Shindig said:

If I remember correctly, I will need to Gorilla Glue my Game Golf tags into the Pure grips?  I haven't installed the tags yet.

Silicone. They also recommend super glue but that will chew up your grips a bit if you ever had to take the tags off for any reason. I've had tags pop off with silicone so I use super glue - just a couple of drops is all you need.

Don't use original Gorilla Glue. That stuff expands and sets hard like resin.

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

It was fun, a little getting used to, and I think we had some issues with consistent length and being sure the grip was on the whole way.  Plus it seems the grip can stretch and compress once on? 

Yea that's one of the issues with PURE grips. Not a big deal if you're paying attention to the details. They also can twist slightly over time, but it's very easy to fix.

• Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Getting into PURE Grips

As of today, I have regripped every club in my bag with a PURE grip, except my putter.  Many thanks to my friend who knows a lot more about this than I do and helped me out.  I am going to write out a bit of my experience putting these on in hopes that it helps someone in the future, or perhaps if I did something wrong someone can comment on that. 

Last week, we regripped my 50 degree wedge and my 6-iron.  Part of that was experimenting a bit;  my friend had never used his air compressor to regrip golf clubs (he had done the traditional way many times).  Grips went on fine, there was a bit of figuring out where to hold the grip when applying the air to get it on, to keep it straight, and to keep it from coming back off (they seemed to want to come back off).

Today, we regripped the other 11.  This went much quicker.  One thing we did was to dip the tip in grip solvent to make it easier to get it on and started.  Between that and hand placement, we got the grips on much faster this time.

I have this weird preference for the grip label to be facing down, not up.  I don't know why.  Getting it set up to go on right was easy once we realized a trick:  put the club the right way into the holder, then put that in the thing that holds the holder (look, I'm not very handy, I'm not trying to be difficult here.  Vise maybe?), and then apply label side up.  

Prior to my arrival (I do not own an air compressor, and my friend has an awesome workshop in his garage), my friend used his air compressor to remove a grip from one of his irons and put it back on.  It was not a Pure grip -- I think it was one of the Golf Pride ones.  We then tried to remove my 9- and 8-irons' Golf Pride grips (the ones installed by Ping two years ago) with entertaining results -- the grips blew up a little.  It wasn't 100% entertaining :  my friend's hand was slapped by the grip when it broke.  I have pictures that I will sync later if there is interest (of the grips post-explode, not of my friend's hand).

All in all, installing 11 grips this morning took us about an hour.  Very fast, very fun, would do again but I expect these grips to last a bit longer than my usual ones (and I'm bad about regripping clubs when they should be regripped anyway).

Now that they're installed, I need to look into keeping them nice.  I really like the feel.

Thank you again to everyone who offered help, both in this thread and the main one for the grips.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Hope you'll enjoy them! 

Did you put on any tape or just straight to the shaft? 

I also angled my grips with the logo down. Primarily because I don't want to make the logo placement wonder if I'm gripping the club right or if it's rotated properly. If I used the logo to align my club, I would never be able to trust that I got the logos at the exactly right spot for every club. It would only disturb me.

If yo remove old grips that will never be put on again, you could cut them up rather than blow. Especially if they are attached with double-sided tape on or just sticks a lot. If you absolutely want to blow them off, put one some gloves and goggles.

Edited by Zeph
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I left the tape that was there on.  With one of the hybrids, the tape came off when I removed the grip, so I put fresh tape on.

15 minutes ago, Zeph said:

I also angled my grips with the logo down. Primarily because I don't want to make the logo placement wonder if I'm gripping the club right or if it's rotated properly. If I used the logo to align my club, I would never be able to trust that I got the logos at the exactly right spot for every club. It would only disturb me.

Same.  I care less about that when a professional applies them -- I imagine especially the ones from the Ping or Titleist plant are inspected for that sort of thing.  But when I'm doing it?  I'd rather not have a reminder of my inability to do these things correctly. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 4 months later...

Question for those who have installed and play PURE grips:

I am switching my full bag to PURE, and I am wondering about tape buildup. Right now I have a combination of GolfPride MCC +4 and GolfPride Z-cord grips, all standard size, installed with a single layer of double-sided tape (no buildup). I don't particularly care for the +4 lower section of the MCC grips, and prefer the feel of the normal tapered grip.

I plan to remove the old sticky tape, and install the PURE grips on clean, bare shafts. Do I need to add a layer of buildup tape on the shaft first to achieve the same grip thickness as a GolfPride grip with a layer of double-sided tape?

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

Question for those who have installed and play PURE grips:

I am switching my full bag to PURE, and I am wondering about tape buildup. Right now I have a combination of GolfPride MCC +4 and GolfPride Z-cord grips, all standard size, installed with a single layer of double-sided tape (no buildup). I don't particularly care for the +4 lower section of the MCC grips, and prefer the feel of the normal tapered grip.

I plan to remove the old sticky tape, and install the PURE grips on clean, bare shafts. Do I need to add a layer of buildup tape on the shaft first to achieve the same grip thickness as a GolfPride grip with a layer of double-sided tape?

You can measure it and then add a layer if you'd like.

I use Gorilla brand duct tape. It's "stickier" than single-sided masking tape.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

use Gorilla brand duct tape. It's "stickier" than single-sided masking tape.

I like this idea. I really hate working with masking tape.

-Peter

I would try them if they were more accessible at golf shops

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

On 11/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, jmanbooyaa said:

I would try them if they were more accessible at golf shops

After installing my Pure grips, I would say they're well worth a try. Maybe order a single grip and see how it goes?

On 11/11/2019 at 11:44 AM, iacas said:

You can measure it and then add a layer if you'd like.

I installed the grips the other day. Installation with the air tool was great, probably the fastest I have ever swapped out grips. Usually I change out grips 2-3 clubs at a time over the course of a week, but I knocked out my whole bag and then some in just a couple hours. There was a brief learning curve using the air tool, but once I got the hang of it, the process was fast and easy.

I ended up trying installation on bare shaft and with one layer of duct tape. I preferred the feel of the grips over the bare shaft so I went with that. But taking them on and off is so easy, no bother if I change my mind.

Ordered some Pure DTX to compare against the Pure Pro that I put on, based on feedback that the DTX perform better in wet conditions. Looking forward to playing these in a round.

-Peter

I can regrip my whole bag in under 15 minutes. When I use tape underneath I use blue painter's tape. It's slightly thinner than masking tape but easier to work with.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:53 PM, saevel25 said:

They last 2-3x longer than your normal grip. They price right between Tour Velvets and New Decade MC Grips. Pure Grips are superior to both of them.

My PURE grips have been on for at least five years and still feel like new

• Like 1

Colin P.

5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

My PURE grips have been on for at least five years and still feel like new

Makes me sad 😪 that I was talked out of these when I got new clubs.  I PROMISE, these will be the grips for me when it's time to change. 

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Just now, dennyjones said:

Makes me sad 😪 that I was talked out of these when I got new clubs.  I PROMISE, these will be the grips for me when it's time to change. 

The fact that these things are pure rubber means that they will never wear out unless you actually wear away the material so that the grip profile is changed. 

• Like 1

Colin P.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

The fact that these things are pure rubber means that they will never wear out unless you actually wear away the material so that the grip profile is changed. 

I regripped at the beginning of 2019 to Golfpride MCC, and after less than a year of playing 1-2 times a week, and maybe practicing 1-2 times a week, the grips had noticeable wear, especially on 6-iron through 9-iron. Looking forward to long lasting grips!

• Like 1

-Peter

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but I was looking for new grips today and noticed this:

image.png

It seems like the weight for the grips changes...by color?!?  Seemed so strange.

- John

6 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but I was looking for new grips today and noticed this:

image.png

It seems like the weight for the grips changes...by color?!?  Seemed so strange.

As long as we don’t get the ‘ I can feel the difference’ nonsense it’s all good.😃

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Different dyes, different rubber components, whatever… yeah. I'm a bit surprised it's nearly 5 grams, oh wait, white is 49.8… green is 41.5. Over 8 grams.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Different dyes, different rubber components, whatever… yeah. I'm a bit surprised it's nearly 5 grams, oh wait, white is 49.8… green is 41.5. Over 8 grams.

Yeah, not a big deal obviously, but it's weird, right?  And odd that they'd show it on the site as an actual "thing".

I'm strangely intrigued by this now, and I'm trying to figure out why.

Here's a post from 2013 (from another forum, found on Google) that mentions it, so it's nothing new.  "The white grips are always the heaviest".

image.png

Edited by Hardspoon

- John