IGNORED

The "friendly wager" dilemma....

scotth
Note: This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Would love to hear opinions on this.  

Sure we have all played a round where a member of the group as you are assembling on the first tee wants to place some kind of bet, and others don't.  Yet that one person keeps hammering away with tired expressions like "if there isn't something on the line it isn't any fun" or "it's not real golf if you don't have a wager".  

In other words they just won't take no for an answer.  

In the past, I would just ignore them and have been known to quit speaking at all until they change the subject.  I then make a mental note to never play a round with that person again.  

What do you do? 

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Huh.  Nope.  Sorry, I couldn't imagine turning down at least a minimal bet.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Simple.  Tell the guy that he owes everybody else a twenty if he doesn't shoot the lowest score...or a fifty...whatever it takes for him to feel adequately motivated.  

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

It depends upon the person with whom I'm playing.   If it is my usual guys, it's just understood lost $$ isn't going to cost me much.  If it is somebody I'm not comfortable playing with, I have no problem just saying, "No thanks".   If they are persistent, silence is golden and speaks volumes.  

A cheap bet, I'm usually game.

Edited by dennyjones
  • Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

6 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

If it is somebody I'm not comfortable playing with, I have no problem just saying, "No thanks".   If they are persistent, silence is golden and speaks volumes.  

That's what I do with somebody I am not comfortable with as well.

Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff

I don't like to play for $$ with strangers.

Did this several years ago in Oklahoma. It was supposed to be a $5 Nassau, and $3 skins with carry-overs. Between auto-presses and me not winning a single skin, I ended up losing $55.

If I had blundered into something like this in Las Vegas, I could have lost $555.

If I know people, it's different. In our Senior group, it's a $5 buy-in per person: This covers team best ball (modified Stableford), and skins; and, if we have four or five groups, we'll add in low putts and low net. A few $$ and a lot of braggin' rights change hands.

Most of the other people I play with - including my brother - we just go out and play. If somebody wants a small bet, that's OK. But, golf is fun even without betting.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

If someone wants a game, I will probably be the first to say "that's covered", but I will not play presses or auto presses. 

I've never lost more than 65, usually it's less than $5 changing hands

Do you know this person?

I will make a small bet if someone I'm with -- and someone I know -- wants to.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

Do you know this person?

I will make a small bet if someone I'm with -- and someone I know -- wants to.  

Should have put that in topic opener.  Total stranger that just won't take no for an answer.

Total stranger, not a chance I would play for money.

Other than that, our group of guys always play for money $5 Nassau and $2 Birdies, with auto-2 down presses.  And a few of our guys allow the team that is down after 9 to double the bet on the back and then allows presses on the last hole.  Most I've ever lost is $30 and the most I've won is $100.  

My wife always wants to bet, so I do skins with her.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

If it's a total stranger, I'd offer a beer at the end of the round. Other than that, the fella can wait for someone else.

I'm not good enough for this to be a problem for me, but betting any real money with strangers is dumb. You still got hustlers out there that will take you if they can. I've seen a couple out on old Wagoner Ford Rd.

• Upvote 1

Total stranger.....not happening. A couple of folks i know, known sandbaggers, not happening. Folks from the men's groups I play with and we will play net or points, no problem. 

I don't bet, on anything. People have tried to get me to play for money in golf, bowling, and pool. My answer is always the same, I don't play for money I play for fun. I don't understand the "need" for there to be "something on the line" for it to be fun. Heck I rarely get into the skins game in the league, and typically am only in it if my father puts me in or if I won skins the week prior I'll put myself and him in.

**edit** Also, once the person is told no and they persist, it no longer is a "friendly wager", they are now badgering and that's anything but "friendly".

Edited by Jeremie Boop
  • Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

Total stranger, not a chance I would play for money.

Other than that, our group of guys always play for money $5 Nassau and $2 Birdies, with auto-2 down presses.  And a few of our guys allow the team that is down after 9 to double the bet on the back and then allows presses on the last hole.  Most I've ever lost is $30 and the most I've won is $100.  

My wife always wants to bet, so I do skins with her.  

Not even a small bet, just for fun?  I'll do a straight $2 Nassau with anyone.  Negotiate strokes on the first tee, then have fun.  

The amount of money has nothing to do with it.  It just adds some interest.  

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I don't bet, on anything. People have tried to get me to play for money in golf, bowling, and pool. My answer is always the same, I don't play for money I play for fun. I don't understand the "need" for there to be "something on the line" for it to be fun. Heck I rarely get into the skins game in the league, and typically am only in it if my father puts me in or if I won skins the week prior I'll put myself and him in.

That's pretty much me.  I don't even do the skins.  

About the closest I get is closest to the pin wagers that might spontaneously happen as we walk up to a par 3 during the round.

And only with people that I know well.

Edited by scotth

10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Not even a small bet, just for fun?  I'll do a straight $2 Nassau with anyone.  Negotiate strokes on the first tee, then have fun.  

The amount of money has nothing to do with it.  It just adds some interest.  

For a couple bucks I would probably play against strangers.  Although as long as I've been playing, don't ever remember anyone that I didn't know ask to play for money.

Though, I enjoy the game and don't need to play for anything to make it interesting.

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I'm with @mcanadiens, I'd play a stranger for a beer afterwards, but nothing more than that.  Like @jsgolfer, I can't ever remember a stranger wanting to play for money, so I've never really had to make the choice.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I almost never play for money, even a negligible amount of money. I just don't enjoy it.

Either we'd be playing for dollars and cents, at which point why bother, since I'd forget about it until I got to the parking lot, or we'd be playing for a lot of money, at which point my nerves would make the round less enjoyable.

• Upvote 3

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!