IGNORED

Do you keep close watch on your score during a round?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you know where you are at in a round?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know your score when playing a round?

• Yes. I keep track of where I am at relative to par or I check my scorecard every hole.
    • No. I enter my score but do know where I stand in a round.
    • I do a little of both depending on the situation

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Patch said:

You assume correctly. But why post a high scoring, goofy round, being played just for fun, that might inflate my hdcp? Why not just post scores that are actually represententive of my true ability. If I posted all my rounds, I could play in tournaments as say a 18 capper, but then play to actual 10. Would that not make me a sand bagger? It's a mute point for me anyways, since I only play child diabetes charity events anyways. I keep my serious rounds for myself. 

My personal opinion, any time someone makes a conscious choice as to which scores to post, they're making a choice to influence their handicap.  If you post all your scores, you're following the rules, not sandbagging.  As long as you're not playing in handicap events, nobody should care.  

Edited by DaveP043

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

My personal opinion, any time someone makes a conscious choice as to which scores to post, they're making a choice to influence their handicap.  If you post all your scores, you're following the rules, not sandbagging.  As long as you're not playing in handicap events, nobody should care.  

Of course there is the rule about singles posting scores.

Other than that, I think there is a place for (especially us super high-handicap types) treating certain rounds as practice rounds. Maybe you want to hit two balls. Maybe you are working with some new equipment or trying something different. In my case, I had the shanks so bad early in the season that scoring was pointless anyway.

Naturally that's a decision made before a round and not after it when you know what the score was.

• Administrator

I know where I stand pretty much at all times, relative to par.

And if asked, up to a few days later, I can tell you yardages and where I hit my ball and the clubs I used on each.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

I know where I stand pretty much at all times, relative to par.

And if asked, up to a few days later, I can tell you yardages and where I hit my ball and the clubs I used on each.

I know where I am relative to par, but can only generalize on yardages. I am not nearly that consistent, but am improving.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Not really.  I get on a roll and just keep playing.  The other day comes to mind.  I had birdied 2, 3 and 4.  I knew 6 is a birdie hole for me ( par 5).  So I get to #5 and I'm thinking about how a birdie would be nice.

So I par the 5th hole and sort of forget what I was shooting...deflated a bit...lipped out the birdie.

I then go on to birdie 6, 7, 8 and 9 and don't even think of what i was doing.  After the putt on 9 one guy says " how many holes did you birdie?". Another guy says, ' u birdied the last 4 holes plus more right?". I seriously had to think and recount what I did.

I seem to be like a lot of folks here. I play each shot and each hole individually and let the chips fall where they may.

A long time back, I and a buddy would meet frequently for an after work nine at Mill Creek. The standard bet was a beer a stroke. My buddy had the habit of adding up the scores heading for the ninth tee, and I'd always tell him I didn't want to know my score!

One time he said, "I won't tell you your score, but I will tell you that we're tied. So I figure all I have to do is par this hole and I'll win at least one beer since you've never parred this hole in your life!"

SKULLJOB!!!!!

He parred, I bogeyed, and I owed him a beer!

I don't think about the total during the round, I really do play one shot at a time. I believe thinking about the results of the hole, ( I Need a par here), before you play the hole is detrimental to a good result. Qualified to only mean me of course, others may have success planning the whole round out. At the end if you ask me what I think I shot , I usually guess within a shot or two, so I guess at some level I'm keeping track. 

I read this thread yesterday and it came to mind as I made the turn today.   I looked at my score after 9, I was close to guessing my score.   After 9, the rain came down pretty heavy and I wasn't prepared and didn't look at my score until I got in the car after the round.  I always have a feel for my score though.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 7/20/2017 at 4:38 PM, David in FL said:

I don't "fret" about it, but I know exactly where I am.  With respect to my own score, and also where I stand in whatever match that we're generally playing.

This for me as well. I literally can't not know. My brain remembers every shot, and knows exactly where I am in relation to par. It's not an option for me to shut off this knowledge.

EDIT--If I'm not playing a match, I don't ever use the scorecard. People have asked me why I don't keep score. But I am keeping score, in my weirdo head. 

Edited by Aguirre

"Witty golf quote."

I played a practice round today and except for the first hole played very well.  I knew I was scoring well but didn't know my score until the end.   Since I was playing by myself, the score really didn't matter, just each shot.   If I'm playing with others, I'm more observant. 

7 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I played a practice round today and except for the first hole played very well.  I knew I was scoring well but didn't know my score until the end.   Since I was playing by myself, the score really didn't matter, just each shot.   If I'm playing with others, I'm more observant. 

And this shows how all of this is just personal. I played with a group of eight today, and I only knew a couple of them, so I was riding in a cart with one guy's son who just turned 21. He's not good at all, but he definitely has potential. When his brother asked his score on certain holes, he had to think for a minute. I never have to think. EVER. It's actually difficult for me to imagine somebody having to rethink their shots on a hole to come up with a total. But some do. But I can empathize. *raises understanding finger*

"Witty golf quote."

10 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

I never have to think.

I can recall every shot for the entire round but I don't consciously focus on my score during the round.  

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

I can recall every shot for the entire round but I don't consciously focus on my score during the round.  

I'm in the same boat as @Aguirre, and I guess @iacas.  I can't help but know.  Its not that I'm focusing on it, I just know that I hit 4 wood to 100 out, 52 to center of the green, and 2 putted for par so I'm even through one.  This sticks with every hole and by the end of the round I know my score before the guys keeping it do.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

If I'm playing to score and want to put together a good round or test my capabilities, I'll keep score. On most rounds I treat them as practice rounds and may not know the exact number, but I have a rough idea of where I'm at relative to par.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Since my game is shaky right now, I'm probably better off not knowing, so I haven't been keeping track. Usually I am pleasantly surprised, my score is bad, but not as bad as I expect. Sometimes I keep track of how many over par I am, but the first really bad hole I have I stop thinking about it.

I kinda wish I was able to not check but I always do. I still haven't broken 90 and Wednesday had a 45 after 9 (and the back nine is much easier) but of course took a 10 on the 10th!!!!

Ended up with a 93 so a bogey on the 10th woulda put me at 89 but of course I would have been a lot more nervous over the 6 footer I sank for par on 18

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

On 7/21/2017 at 11:28 AM, DaveP043 said:

I don't post all my rounds only because some rounds I just don't keep score... Those rounds I'm usually working on something specific or mapping out shot zones for a tournament... And usually hitting two or three balls on every hole... Those are my early evening twilight nines usually anyway.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 2224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!