IGNORED

Do you keep close watch on your score during a round?

Valleygolfer
Note:Β This thread is 2243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Do you know where you are at in a round?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know your score when playing a round?

• Yes. I keep track of where I am at relative to par or I check my scorecard every hole.
    • No. I enter my score but do know where I stand in a round.
    • I do a little of both depending on the situation

My playing partner is beside himself when he asks me where I am at in my round and I answer I don't know for sure. Yeah I have a rough idea but exactly, I often don't know. He remembers everything and knows his score to the "T" and is always fretting about where he is at score wise.

I tend to be oblivious to my score although I know when I am having a good or bad round or when I really need a birdie to help my score. It doesn't make me try harder knowing my score. I am always trying to shoot the lowest score possible regardless.

I guess I don't understand why he is up in arms when I tell him that I don't know "where I am at."

What say you?

• Upvote 2

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't "fret" about it, but I know exactly where I am. Β With respect to my own score, and also where I standΒ in whateverΒ match that we're generally playing.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I am aware enough to write down a correct score for each hole; but I never add it up until the round is over. Β I do better when I don't know, at any given moment, where I stand relative to par. Β The guys I play with, who obsess about it, always seem to fall apart late in the round. Β 

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I'm the same way. I know if I'm having a good or bad round. And if it's a match play format I make sure to know where my/our score is relative to the other person/team. But if a playing partner is keeping score and asks me at the turn if they have the correct score, 90% of the time I have to goΒ over it in my head before I can answer. I find using the app 'The Grint' is helpful in those situations cause I can just click on 'view scorecard' and verify the score for them.Β 

I try to not do so. Β In tournaments it seems common to compare nines to check that the marker and you have the same total at least. Β I hate that, because I try to not know where I stand, but it is what it is.

Sometimes I know where I stand and the scorecard looks back at me. Β A few weeks ago I was at 40 after the ninth hole. Β I started thinking what my eighteen hole score could be. Β Triple-triple on 10 and 11 dissuaded me that I might break 80 that day.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

When I started out playing and got really hooked on the game, I used to recall every shot and remembered my score even when I wasn't trying to. Β But now that I have played for few years, I know how good/bad I am doing and know generally what my score is, but I don't know the exact score until I add them up at the end of the round.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

unfortunately, I have not learned to not pay close attention. All the above also pertain. I might shoot a low score on the front and visualize doing the same on the back, but on a sub-conscience level puts pressure on me and I will usually have one or more blow up holes.Β 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,Β  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge:Β ExoticsΒ EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge:Β Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Β shaft, /Β Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge:Β Exotics EXi 6 -PWΒ  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:Β  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I intuitively know how many over or under I am. I don't really keep track exactly.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

it seems that the better I'm playing the less conscious I am about it.Β  Pars don't annoy me, so if I'm doing my job, I don't think about it at all.

Bill -Β 

26 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I don't "fret" about it, but I know exactly where I am. Β With respect to my own score, and also where I standΒ in whateverΒ match that we're generally playing.

Exactly. Β If I'm playing at all decently, then it's hard not to know where I stand because I won't be that far away from par. Β If I'm playing poorly ... then, eff it, who cares anyway? ;)

I can't help but keep a tally of how many over / under (very very rarely and usually for short amounts of time) I am.Β  I almost never write it down (playing partners take care of that), but I always know my score whether I want to or not.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

I'd say I'm the same as @Golfingdad, I know without paying attention where I am if I'm playing well. Β If I'm playing poorly, I can add it up at the end. Β If I'm playing a match, I always know how the match stands, even if I don't know where my score stands.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I agree on matches. It is hard not to know where you stand because it is discussed throughout the round, but in casual rounds (which I mostly play) I tend to turn a blind eye.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Yes, I always keep track of my score and where I am. I enter my score into my GPS unit at all times, so I know how many over par I am at all times. I get that this could be pressure, but I got used to it pretty quickly, and it's good practice for when you need to make that par in match play, or on the final hole of a tournament, etc.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

I always know where I am in relation to par. Β I actually consciously started paying attention to my score because I don't want to be one of those people that is having a great round, but doesn't know their score, then when they figure out that they only need to par the last two holes to card their best ever scoreΒ they freak out and end up triple-bogeying both holes.

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15Β 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

As others have said, when playing well it is not important to know "how well." Β When the wheels are wobblin' or have fallen off, I typically check so I can set a revised goal like "keep it under XX".

Brian Kuehn

No. Sometimes I don't even add up my score after the first nine. I tell how well I'm doing by a general feel of whether I'm making a lot of bogeys and no pars or whatever.

I don't play in matches or tournaments so I have very little reason to keep tabs on my hole-by-hole score.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note:Β This thread is 2243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!