IGNORED

Is your Summer slipping away?

todgot
Note: This thread is 2422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

24 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

One of my buddies lives in Arizona.  He's originally from Minnesota.  He won't go outside in the summer for anything.  I don't want to feel 110 degrees... dry, humid or otherwise.  

110 degrees F, provided it's dry, is great.  It's among my favorite conditions in which to play golf.  

110 degrees D, also provided it's dry, is also just fine, although expect the course to be a bit more crowded than it would be in 110 F. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/23/2017 at 8:10 AM, boogielicious said:

October is nice in New England too. I would say it's my favorite month because the courses aren't crowded, the temperature is perfect for me and the foliage stunning. 

Too friggin cold.  I only play in shorts.  Foliage is nice but I'd rather take a ride up the Kangamangus to see it than to ever want to play in it.

I'm a New Englander but I hate it here.

June...great month because we have the nice hot months of July and August.

July...good month but I always think it's all downhill after the 4th.

August...it's slipping away...dark at 8 pm, Back to school crap in the stores makes me think September and I'm not getting a tan anymore.  Also time to close the pool in September.

September...Still clinging to wearing shorts but know this is the last month to be serious.  Pool closing is depressing...have to stare at the pool cover now for 7 months.

October...sucks.

November...just wish everything would close so I am forced to not go out anymore.

December...Indoor golf training.

I know...I'm nuts.

Edited by Typhoon92
Add
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fairway_CY said:

If you find yourself down this way in the summer... pull up a seat and I'll buy ya a drink to help cool you off!  

Thanks for the generous offer! 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

110 degrees F, provided it's dry, is great.  It's among my favorite conditions in which to play golf.  

110 degrees D, also provided it's dry, is also just fine, although expect the course to be a bit more crowded than it would be in 110 F. 

What is 110 degrees D?

I've esperienced 110 degrees with 25% humidity in Napa Valley in August. Nothing I couldn't handle. In the Midwest I'm used to 90* and sopping wet!

To the topic at hand, realized the other day that we're about 2 weeks away from Labor Day! The holiday for expectant mothers!

Don't get me wrong, I've played plenty of golf this Summer with more to come, but where did the Summer go? It flew by in an eyeblink! I still have plenty of un-punched spaces on the My Loop Discount Golf Card, and kind of doubt I'll completely fill it.

But, I like Fall golf. Much more than Spring golf to tell the truth. Of course, this depends on how well the course manages the leaves. But then we can always institute the leaf rule.

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

What is 110 degrees D?

I've esperienced 110 degrees with 25% humidity in Napa Valley in August. Nothing I couldn't handle. In the Midwest I'm used to 90* and sopping wet!

110 D is 80 F.  110 F is about when I switch to Delisle for thinking about the temperature, as it makes it feel cooler. :-)  That's a good tip for anyone whose summer is slipping away but is worried about the heat!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

It doesn't start slipping away for me until after our club championship.  That's when I try to have my game ready/peaking.  Down south I don't start slowing down until the end of October.  Then I don't play quite as much or focus on working on things in my game.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Ive been lucky enough this year to generally play 18 at least once a week and 2-3 nines after work most of summer.  Gf plays so we make it out and she travels for work so lots of free time as well.  Teenage daughter is busy with band and work so....First time in 17 years I've been able to play this month.  I will play into October if weather holds as no hunting trips this year.  From there range time and pick a couole days a month to play between Oregon rain. 

This summer is definitely slipping away from me. I started out the year playing once each in January, February, March and April- after a great winter of practice. The scores weren't great, but I felt like the lessons were taking hold, and the summer would be the time when I'd see the improved swing turn into some reliable scores. 

For my round in April, I made note in GameGolf that my neck was sore, and I was hobbling a bit down the stretch. Unfortunately that turned out to be the start of a neck injury that limited my mobility for much of the summer. The diagnosis is cervical osteoarthritis, and I just need to stay active and treat it with OTC meds plus heat/cold. 

After a long period of rest from golf and physical therapy, I've played 3 rounds since late July, but after each round the neck stiffness returns to some degree- fortunately nowhere near as bad as in April/May. In late July, I played an easy muni near me (very short) and was able to swing pretty well. So that was encouraging.

In August, I've tried a couple rounds at unfamiliar courses while on vacations, and they were pretty much disasters. One of those rounds was an extremely easy 9-hole course in northern Italy with my daughter and her husband, and let's just say that wow, I definitely feel the summer slipping away (I'll blame jet lag for that round!).

I think this is three straight seasons where I had hopes of playing a lot and really focusing on my game, and three straight seasons where things didn't go as planned. I had even hoped I could play a competition or two this year, and travel a little bit to play with others here on TST at some other regional outings. Oh well. That's life, so I'll keep my eyes on 2018!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

The summer has slipped away this year.
Golf has been limited the past two months due to purchasing a new home.
Between painting and remodeling and moving, I was only able to golf a few times.

Life is good again, wrapping up a few projects here and there, and back out playing.  :-)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Temp was 46 here this morning and one can feel fall falling.  But usually the weather stays OK until the end of October.  Had a lot of rain this summer, AZ doesn't complain about rain however, and so not as many golfing days as usual.  I am looking forward to the next couple of months as the "sun birds" are pretty much gone and courses are near empty.

Butch

On 7/23/2017 at 8:43 AM, iacas said:

Soon as a partner surfaces to franchise it.

I'd volunteer but you don't want me teaching anybody....

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

3 hours ago, ghalfaire said:

Temp was 46 here this morning and one can feel fall falling.  But usually the weather stays OK until the end of October.  Had a lot of rain this summer, AZ doesn't complain about rain however, and so not as many golfing days as usual.  I am looking forward to the next couple of months as the "sun birds" are pretty much gone and courses are near empty.

Phew, you had me worried, thinking there might be days in Arizona when one wouldn't be able to play.  Are there really "sun birds" in AZ?  I figured you'd get migratory for the winter.

-- Michael | My swing! 

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

Phew, you had me worried, thinking there might be days in Arizona when one wouldn't be able to play.  Are there really "sun birds" in AZ?  I figured you'd get migratory for the winter.

Don't know if the guy I met last year qualifies, but I was on my way to play a course we get to only occasionally. When I turned onto the road I noticed a new riverside park with parking lot, boat ramp, the whole schmeer! I pulled in to check it out, and noticed a vehicle with AZ plates on it, and a guy in a lawn chair fishing the river.

I went down and talked with him. Turned out he was a retiree from the area who moved to Arizona, but spends his Summers back here. Said he plays golf almost every day when he's out West. When he's here he goes fishing almost every day!

Nice, huh?!

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Don't know if the guy I met last year qualifies, but I was on my way to play a course we get to only occasionally. When I turned onto the road I noticed a new riverside park with parking lot, boat ramp, the whole schmeer! I pulled in to check it out, and noticed a vehicle with AZ plates on it, and a guy in a lawn chair fishing the river.

I went down and talked with him. Turned out he was a retiree from the area who moved to Arizona, but spends his Summers back here. Said he plays golf almost every day when he's out West. When he's here he goes fishing almost every day!

Nice, huh?!

When can I retire again?

-- Michael | My swing! 

On 8/17/2017 at 10:34 AM, Shindig said:

I live mostly in the largest unbroken Ponderosa Pine Forest (sometimes called yellow pine)  in the USA.  My home is at 7500 feet above sea level. The weather here is great in Summer and Fall, usually 25-30  degrees F cooler than Phoenix, AZ. Gets a little cold in the Winter however and while the sun shines a lot even in Winter hitting a golf ball at near freezing temp can be hurtful.  This small town significantly increases its population in the Summer months with Tucson and Phoenix folks escaping the 100+ degree days in the better known deserts.  Good for local businesses but bad for traffic. :whistle:

Butch

2 hours ago, ghalfaire said:

I live mostly in the largest unbroken Ponderosa Pine Forest (sometimes called yellow pine)  in the USA.  My home is at 7500 feet above sea level. The weather here is great in Summer and Fall, usually 25-30  degrees F cooler than Phoenix, AZ. Gets a little cold in the Winter however and while the sun shines a lot even in Winter hitting a golf ball at near freezing temp can be hurtful.  This small town significantly increases its population in the Summer months with Tucson and Phoenix folks escaping the 100+ degree days in the better known deserts.  Good for local businesses but bad for traffic. :whistle:

Oh, that's why the Phoenix area courses are so empty in June.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

On 8/16/2017 at 10:25 PM, CarlSpackler said:

Yes! Bring on fall/winter!!!

Boo....hissssssss....

School has started today for the kids...  Summer is almost over!!

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!