IGNORED

Close to giving up the game!

Mulligan87
Note: This thread is 2440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would recommend that you don't focus on your score and find enjoyment in the game in other ways.  For example, it can often be more fun to practice at the range than play the actual game.  Plus, you may save some money!

I've sort of plateaued on all parts of my game, but I'm just coming back after a 15 year layoff, so it'll take a while. Practice helps, but it can be two steps forward, one step back or no steps at times. I think I had a minor breakthrough yesterday, but we'll see.

For putting, when my head takes over from my feel/instincts, I putt worse.

And I force myself to not take too much time over short putts.  Relaxed grip, longish backstroke (longer putts only) and smooth follow thru are my keys. A quick read and a good stroke to take some/all the break out where possible. A little bold is better than tentative IME. Sure I still miss few, but not many. It would be worse if I agonized over every short putt. Seniors often let that kill their putting, it's a mental battle.

In years past, a brief layoff often helped me forget bad habits or thoughts. I'm not saying it's common or to be expected, but I almost always score better in the first half of the seasons than the second - I'm convinced it's because I think too much the second half.

And finally I enjoy the social aspect of golf. There's always that when you're having the inevitable bad round. There are always better rounds, and there are always those truly memorable shots even in the worst round. That's what brings all of us back no?

Edited by Midpack

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Midpack said:

And finally I enjoy the social aspect of golf. There's always that when you're having the inevitable bad round.

This is true. Unfortunately when I'm having a bad round, nobody wants to be around me. Not because of my mood, because they fear my s***** are contagious. Everybody just stays quiet. Not.One.Word.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Thanks for all your replies guys! Very much appreciated! I think that i had a meltdown last week to say the least on course and mentally...

Yesterday i took the advice that you all gave me and just tried to not care about the score and just enjoy the scenary and think of other things other than golf until i was at the golf ball. Somehow managed 40 points which is probably one of best rounds I've shot.

Started to let my score creep into my mind towards the end of back 9 and subsequently made a few 3 stabs over the last 5 holes all from GIR's.

Was 2 over and in for a potentially best ever round lol!!

Was miles better anyhows! just need to not think. Easier said than done.....

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers for the comments guys appreciate it!!

Just an update on how the game is going....

Been constantly in the 30 points stableford region the last few weeks,

Last 2 rounds ive had 30 points with 39 & 40 putts lol. Recently bought a scotty cam after putting a brand new Cleveland over the knee.... whoops ;)

Isn't it amazing how difficult the suposedly easiest part of the game is.. play with guys who end up with similar scores and they're hacking the ball all over the place but can putt. Not good for the soul haha

On 7/25/2017 at 10:15 AM, Midpack said:

And I force myself to not take too much time over short putts.  Relaxed grip, longish backstroke (longer putts only) and smooth follow thru are my keys. A quick read and a good stroke to take some/all the break out where possible. A little bold is better than tentative IME. 

Take one breath, focus on the breath, and putt at the end of breathing out. That's as relaxed as you are ever going to be. Aim for the ball to stop six inches past the cup, six not twelve or 18. As Harvey Penick said, Take dead aim. And keep the putter as low as you can on the follow-thru with long putts. I look at the cup not the ball from four feet, but that takes some getting used to doing. Nearly hole every short putt and fifty fifty from eight to ten. 

The biggest is the breath. I do this on every good stroke, and half of the bad ones.

Wayne

On 7/20/2017 at 10:56 PM, gregsandiego said:

I know we've seen this (type of) post before and I'm always fascinated by it. It would seem to me it comes down to simply do you enjoy it or not?  If the answer is no, then why play?

I wish I could get just a few GIR's per round. You are probably way better than me but I never consider quitting.

Did you really mean that?

Oh heck, I've probably threatened to give it up thousands of times and did in fact take a ten year hiatus, then for one reason or another start playing again, and slowly start to notice improvement and I am hooked again. Now as I age, lose flexibility and coordination, I am only beginning to relax and pay no heed to what others think and also realize that nobody really gives a damn and are concerned only on their own problems.  I am close to shooting my age now, but its not any easier, for as the years keep coming and one might think it will be within reach, the physical aspects place an additional burden on the process, so I guess its all relative. Low round this year is 81, and several others within 5 strokes of that. I am 75 this year and wouldn't that be great?, but I will be satisfied with just breaking the 80 barrier (again). GIR's are important, but at least I am hitting 73% fairways (up until yesterday).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I had a pretty poor round (for me) today. One of my thoughts during this "wthigo" moment was that this is probably where some golfers would think about giving up the game, or as I have stated before, giving up on themselves, playing the game. 

Nope, I just took my game choking, medicine, and found other things going on that were more pleasing. I know full well I can, and will play better..............and worse, some day. :-D

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'm in the same boat as you with my game. My putting is fine, but my age (67) and a nagging injury has diminished my distance greatly. Two years ago I had an 8.6 index and broke 80 about 20% of the time. Now I'm a 12.6 and struggling to break 90. To make things worse my course and range have been closed since April 1st for renovations. I've gone from playing or practicing five days a week to just once every one or two weeks. Every time I shoot 91 or 92 I consider giving up the game. I know I won't quit until I physically cannot play, but it's frustrating to not be able to score like I used to do. My plan is to practice more when my course re-opens on September 1st and maybe move up a set of tees when I play until I get my confidence back. 

Hang in there Mulligan87 and remember this game is very hard.

Note: This thread is 2440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!