Sign in to follow this  
swffjvl

Hit the mats today

Note: This thread is 788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 posts / 501 viewsLast Reply

In my other thread "range practice" asking about hitting off mats, I went to the mat range today and it was semi enjoyable. I could tell when I hit it fat by the ball flight and was able to work on that matter with moderate success.

But being completely new to golf, one more quick question.

I did great with my 9 iron and 8 iron, wedge, but couldn't hit the ball well AT ALL with a 5 iron. And I did go back and forth with the 5 and 8 with same results. Any idea why that would be?

My swing, I think, was the same. I guess for right now its a good thing I play only a par 29 (58 front and back) course, but someday would like to move to the bigger courses where the big boys and girls play. And if my long iron play is like it is, yikes.:~(

Thanks, Joe

Edited by swffjvl

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I'm pretty new to golf as well but typically the short irons like an 8 or 9 are going to be easier to hit than the longer irons. I'm not exactly sure why although I would think the length of the club being longer (for a long iron) might have something to do with it. There is simply more of a disconnect (distance) between the grip and the club head. I think psychologically too newer golfers get intimidated by the lower loft of a 4 or 5 iron and think "I really have to get under this one" which is of course just not what you need and will lead to a ton of fat shots.

I've seen certain places/people advocate for a constant ball position (front/middle/back of stance etc) regardless of the club but in my limited experience it is better to have a couple of ball positions that you use based around the shot you are trying to hit and of course the club (the main factor). Take a look into placing the ball a bit further away from you as well as more forward in your stance with something like a 5 iron.

Note: This thread is 788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!