IGNORED

Career grand slam - who gets it first, Spieth or McIlroy?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The next career grand slam  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Spieth or McIlroy - who gets a career grand slam first?

• Spieth
    • McIlroy
    • A career grand slam is too hard. Neither will complete the grand slam.

1 hour ago, Chris223 said:

I'm not hating on Rory at all, lol.  Just saying Spieth is the better golfer and I think Rory is overrated.  By your logic, Brooks Keopkas "A" game is better than Spieth because in his lone major win he dominated the field vs just eeking it out.  Winning is winning, period.

You're right, my logic is that there's no difference between a 4 stroke win and an 8 stroke win. The fact that Rory has two major wins by 8 strokes doesn't matter at all, either.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

This Spieth vs McIlroy reminds me of tennis and other sports, for example, tennis, you have a player that just looks like he's killer, powerful serve, deadly accurate forehand and backhand w/pace, fast on the court, great footwork, looks effortless, should win a ton. And you have this other guy with the ugly looking serve, awkward groundstrokes, doesn't "look" like most people's prototype of a tennis player, yet the second has almost as many majors as the first.

Rory's like 5'9", skinny, and babyfaced. I'm not sure he really "look" like a prototypical star golfer either.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think that they will both get it done.  I think McIlroy will get it done first.  Although i wouldn't be suprised either way.  McIlroy has shown that he can play Augusta well, and the PGA has the toughest field.  

3 hours ago, jamo said:

Rory's like 5'9", skinny, and babyfaced. I'm not sure he really "look" like a prototypical star golfer either.

True. Subjectively, McIlroy has the, to more eyes, "prettier" looking swing, more distance, whereas Spieth has the chicken wing and doesn't hit it as far.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm starting to think Speith is the luckiest golfer on the tour.  

At the end of the British open...

what are the odds of him making that 50 footer on 16?

What are the odds of him making the 30 footer on 17?

What are the odds of him making both?  And still he only played to -1 on Sunday.

I voted Mcilroy.

1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:

I'm starting to think Speith is the luckiest golfer on the tour.  

At the end of the British open...

what are the odds of him making that 50 footer on 16?

What are the odds of him making the 30 footer on 17?

What are the odds of him making both?

Even if he didn't make both those putts, he still would have won, so not sure what your point is? He wasn't lucky....he was just better than everyone last week. End of story. And last I checked, making putts isn't luck.....it's talent. If putting was all about luck, then they would just play tee to green and not putt....in which case Spieth still would have won.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:53 PM, Chris223 said:

Since when is there a rota for US Open with the except of frequently played venues like Pebble and Bethpage?  I'm confused.

What makes him so much better though?  Because he has the prettiest driver swing in golf and hits it a couple yards further?  I mean sure Spieth could help himself by hitting a few more fairways, but we're talking about a guy that has averaged 2-3 wins per season for 4 years now, what has Rory done in that span?

I think his potential is higher...due to his ball striking. I also think he is soft and underachieving. Neither of those things apply to Speith which is why he wins more.

• Upvote 1

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

What will really curb Speith's achievements are if he:

1. Dates a tennis star.:-P (unless she's really hot! But just make it casual)
  2. Changes club manufacturer (DON'T!)
  3. Get's engaged (Well OK he's going to at some point I hope)
  4. Get's injured (I hope not. I don't wish that on anyone)

If he can avoid those for a while, then he's got a real shot.

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I voted Spieth but the PGA Championship has the toughest field of the majors. Rory has the talent to win the Masters but I just believe that it will happen after Spieth wins the PGA. Spieth can get the willy's as he showed by bogeying 3 of the first 4 holes last Sunday but was able to calm himself and recover.  Rory strikes me as more emotional which can be a disaster at Augusta as Spieth and Norman have shown.

They are both great golfers but neither are dominant players like Tiger or Jack. 

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I think you're forgetting get into a public Tweet war with old fart stuck in the past. :-P

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

I think you're forgetting get into a public Tweet war with old fart stuck in the past. :-P

YES! That'll slow him down too!

Scott

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I think he's been dating a pretty hot number since he's been in high school. Last I checked they're still together. So whatever it is, she has had as a good influence on him.

Edited by ChrisP

4 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I think he's been dating a pretty hot number since he's been in high school. Last I checked they're still together. So whatever it is, she has had as a good influence on him.

Until she takes up tennis! :-P

Scott

My Swing Thread

37 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Here's Jordan's lady friend. Not bad at all. Ugh I should have worked harder to be a pro golfer. 

2ca1b58.jpgJordan-Spieth-Annie-Verret.jpg

Man you can find ho's like that on the street erryday. Be a man and scoop one up! 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Man you can find ho's like that on the street erryday. Be a man and scoop one up! 

Ha! Love it. 

3 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

On a ship right now. Kinda hard to do that when's there's not a street anywhere around here haha.

12 hours ago, ChrisP said:

On a ship right now. Kinda hard to do that when's there's not a street anywhere around here haha.

Deck then. Bag yourself a hottie for your country. We could use some good news. 

Note: This thread is 2450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!