IGNORED

Carts in your yard? Suggestions

scotth
Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

47 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

+ 1 on the moat idea  

Maybe kick it up a notch with signs that say: "drive on private property at your own risk" then lay some sections of tire shredders like the police put out to stop cars a few feet in on the property. 

Moat and sign are good ideas.  The shredders might not be -- what if some kid runs into the yard?  Traps are indiscriminate and are generally a poor idea that can get you into trouble.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

49 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Two words: German Shepard.

I have to admit that a few times when the carts are in the yard I have riled our 2 hunting dogs up by saying "deer, deer, deer" loudly and quickly sliding open the patio door.

They go zooming out barking like crazy.  I crack myself up some times.   

FrankieJack.jpg

• Upvote 1

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Give the dog just enough chain to reach the property line...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I was playing in a charity scramble last Monday. It was our last hole, we were nowhere close to placing (-4 I think), and our "big hitter" (I think we used 1 of his drives all day as he was hooking them all off the planet), pulled out his driver on a short par 4 that doglegs hard left about 75 yards away from the hole. Now, I'm not a fan of the design of this hole because if you hit a straight tee shot but go too long, you're in someone's yard.  A straight, 270-280 yard drive would probably wack the side of the house. However, there is a sign that warns you of this, you can see the house from the tee, and it's just generally well-known if you've played the course before - take less than driver if you hit it any further than 220-230 or so. I had just met the guy and was hoping my friend, who put the team together, would talk him out of it. No such luck and of course he hits his only dead straight shot all day.

Luckily he ended up just short of the house, but obviously on their lawn. He drove right up on the lawn to his ball and tried to argue that we should play his. Now, for some reason there are no stakes so a discussion started as to whether it could be OB with no stakes. I would have thought common sense would prevail - you don't hit a shot literally 10 feet from the side of a house, on the other side of the cart path from the rest of the hole.  Not to mention, this guy was taking some of the worst beaver pelts I've ever seen, shot after shot. I eventually found some faded markings on the cart path that said "OB" in white, so it was settled, but not without some grumbling. He really had no problem damaging that lawn.

All that to say....I think once these guys have had a few drinks the only thing they might pay attention to is some scary signage, and maybe a well-placed security camera, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

2nd amendment

Guess I should also admit that I might have turned on the sprinklers when 2 guys had parked their cart in the middle of the front yard and where searching the flower bed by the front door.  

I will admit the idea above came to mind first....  

Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff

31 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Moat and sign are good ideas.  The shredders might not be -- what if some kid runs into the yard?  Traps are indiscriminate and are generally a poor idea that can get you into trouble.

I was joking, apologize I did not make it more obvious. 

How about charging a fee to park?  Most people would probably take a drop rather than pay 10 bucks to retrieve a 2 dollar golf ball.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I like the sprinkler idea.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

1 hour ago, Gator Hazard said:

I was joking, apologize I did not make it more obvious. 

I knew you were, and I think most or all of us read yours that way, but there are enough people who see these things and think they're good ideas that I wanted to get out ahead of it just in case.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

Set the sprinkler up on a motion sensor!

I work construction, and a recent jobsite had a truck wash triggered electronically.  Instead of a garden hose, this one had about two dozen jets, and the power of a fire hose.  It wouldn't take long for the word to get around of something like that :-P

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

From the photo of your deck, I saw nothing indicating the line between your yard and the course.  I think the suggestions of a solidly implanted white stake every 3 feet (maybe a foot high above the ground) and a few signs indicating O.B and private property would fix 99% of the problems.  There are always going to be a few idiots that refuse to follow convention.

Brian Kuehn

4 hours ago, scotth said:

FrankieJack.jpg

I can understand why golfers think the ball is in play on your property. I don't even know where your property ends and the course begins from this picture. Get some more white stakes and markers out there and clearly indicate where the property line is. You might have to get some chain to deter those who skirt the rules from driving out on to your yard anyway.

The moat is still an option, BTW. ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I can understand why golfers think the ball is in play on your property. I don't even know where your property ends and the course begins from this picture. Get some more white stakes and markers out there and clearly indicate where the property line is. You might have to get some chain to deter those who skirt the rules from driving out on to your yard anyway.

The moat is still an option, BTW. ;-)

That was a picture from the winter before the stakes were set back out.  It is very easy to tell the difference now.  Especially when they are 3 feet from the house.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, scotth said:

Especially when they are 3 feet from the house.

The stakes?

The grass seems to be the same. There are no bushes or other indicators of the edges of the course/your property.

How about a current picture?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A hedgerow would be effective. Or, if you put in heavy stakes with chains strung along the top, you would avoid having to trim bushes.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!