IGNORED

110 of 111 NFL Brains Show Signs of CTE

iacas
Note: This thread is 2357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Zekez said:

The old false equivalency examples.   It really devalues your argument much, much more than my statements devalue mine.  Frankly it's just a lazy response.  And so true that Internet debates and discussions will not likely change anyone's opinion.

I am equating them, but not falsely.

Nearly everything can be dangerous. It's silly, as you've done, to say "never/always" and judge others.

Apply your values to your life, your family.

Stop before you apply your values to others for judgment.

I wouldn't let my kid play football past a certain level but I don't judge parents who do. And I watch the Steelers when they play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/sports/espn-ed-cunningham-football-concussions.html

LONG BEACH, Calif. — If Ed Cunningham had not already seen enough, he would be back in a broadcast booth on Saturday afternoon, serving as the color analyst for another top college football game televised on ABC or ESPN. It is the work he has done each fall for nearly 20 years.

But Cunningham, 48, resigned from one of the top jobs in sports broadcasting because of his growing discomfort with the damage being inflicted on the players he was watching each week. The hits kept coming, right in front of him, until Cunningham said he could not, in good conscience, continue his supporting role in football’s multibillion-dollar apparatus.

“I take full ownership of my alignment with the sport,” he said. “I can just no longer be in that cheerleader’s spot.”

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/24/2017 at 0:05 PM, iacas said:

I am equating them, but not falsely.

Nearly everything can be dangerous. It's silly, as you've done, to say "never/always" and judge others.

Apply your values to your life, your family.

Stop before you apply your values to others for judgment.

I wouldn't let my kid play football past a certain level but I don't judge parents who do. And I watch the Steelers when they play.

While what you say is solid advice, I will judge others when they put their children at risk for pretty much no good reason.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Zekez said:

While what you say is solid advice, I will judge others when they put their children at risk for pretty much no good reason.

Once again…

• You don't know that the risk is very high.
  • There are plenty of reasons why a parent might allow their child to play organized sports.

Thousands and thousands and thousands of kids play organized football every year. Others play unorganized football on schoolyards or in backyards.

It's not like a high percentage of those kids are developing CTE after playing Little Gridders football for a few years.

My kid was driven by a friend the other day to a little party. Are you going to judge me for that? After all, you could say the party was "not a good reason" to put my child in danger (being driven by her 17-year-old teammate and friend).

I deemed the risk minimal enough to offset the small "good" of "being a normal, accepted kid who has good friendships with others." It's my call to make, and not your position to judge.

As with this.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
36 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Where was the control group? This was poor science.

Pretty sure scientists have seen enough normal, healthy brains to know what they should look like.

You don't look at lungs of lifetime smokers, see them all blackened with tar and crap, and say "bad science!" We know what good lungs - and brains - look like.

• 3 weeks later...

I understand the attention to head hits and agree that steps need to be taken. But some of the calls I've been seeing are nuts. The Ohio State debacle yesterday included Nick Bosa getting the boot for nothing. Not that it really would have made the difference in the game, but it hurt.

There was an article in the Boston Globe recently about several former Patriots and their families dealing with the aftereffects of a career in football: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2017/10/29/cte/uDS1dj1CVuUzTDAsjosJ7J/story.html

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Not sure about this one. I'm sure there are zillions who play 'football' at various levels who've shown no signs of this CTE. Ditto rugby, which I know for a fact is looking at the same issues.

I would definitely look at getting rid of the insane padding and helmets in 'football' though.

Get the relevant info, inform those that are thinking of playing and then let them get on with it. Come down very, very hard on any tackles/blocks/whatever that might be deemed to be excessive.

Life is risk; you can't pack people in cotton wool all the time. Tiddlywinks (with eye protection of course) anyone?

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Note: This thread is 2357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!