IGNORED

What's the Hottest You'd Walk 18?

Golf Grouch
Note: This thread is 2425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Now that we're in the middle of summer, I thought it'd be interesting to ask what's the highest temperature / humidity that you'd walk a full 18 holes.  Here in LA with the low humidity, the hottest temp I would walk would be 80.  Higher than that and I would shell out the dough for a cart.  How about you?

The first year I moved to Houston a group of us played the course in the Steven Austin State Park, it was nearly 100° and at least 95% humidity - play was slow, there was no water on the course. I was young then and we mainly walked.

That was hotter than the round I once played in Vegas, it heated up to about 107° by the end of that round, but we were on carts for that one and of course it was a dry heat.

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This thread could have been a good one for a survey.

I think it got near 110 degrees in Phoenix, AZ at the previous Newport Cup. Luckily it was a dry heat ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I've walked in high 90s in Colorado no problem. We rarely get humidity here, though. I'd walk in temperatures up to about 100 in Colorado. But if it's over about 40% humidity, drop that down to about 85 before I'd take a cart. Dry heat doesn't bother me too much. Humidity just drains me.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

This thread could have been a good one for a survey.

I think it got near 110 degrees in Phoenix, AZ at the previous Newport Cup. Luckily it was a dry heat ;)

We were definitely not walking in Phoenix.  I've walked in the DC area, in pretty good humidity, in temps up to around 90.  I've clocked my water intake on those days, and I've had on the order of 8 refills of a 20-ounce gatorade bottle.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Walking, in typical Northeast summer humidity...my upper limit would be about 85, if a cart was an option. I'd still play a walking-only course up to maybe low-90's, which is the hottest it ever really gets here.

- John

Around 100 (either actual temp or heat index) is where i dont consider walking. I carry may bag as well so its borderline dangerous to be exerting yourself that way in that type of heat.  I don't like playing out of a cart either, so if its 100 outside it might as well be -20. Im just not playing. 

I walked 18 carrying my bag when it was 103 degrees (f), humid and sunny a few years ago.  I did it mainly to see how miserable it would be.  It was okay but certainly not something I would want to do even semi-regularly.

Fortunately, in SE Michigan, we do not get a lot of 90+ degree days so I rarely have to think about whether I consider it too hot to walk 18.  If I lived in the hot & humid southern regions, I suspect I would be riding a cart more often.

Brian Kuehn

I've done 101-102 in 55-60% humidity a few times. I poured a little water on my head after every hole.

38 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

The first year I moved to Houston a group of us played the course in the Steven Austin State Park, it was nearly 100° and at least 95% humidity - play was slow, there was no water on the course. I was young then and we mainly walked.

That was hotter than the round I once played in Vegas, it heated up to about 107° by the end of that round, but we were on carts for that one and of course it was a dry heat.

That would have killed me. No water on a course that lets you walk in those conditions? Not very wise of them.

I wouldn't do anything that tops 85 plus Florida style humidity, otherwise I couldn't carry enough water. 

27 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

We were definitely not walking in Phoenix.  I've walked in the DC area, in pretty good humidity, in temps up to around 90.  I've clocked my water intake on those days, and I've had on the order of 8 refills of a 20-ounce gatorade bottle.

Yea I just realized that. 

I'm changing my answer to 95ish, with probably a 70 dew point

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I walked a few times in the last week with temps in the mid 90s. GameGolf says temp was 96 yesterday, so I'll go with that. Took a cart a couple times when it was higher.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I played on Saturday in about 90 degrees with a humidity in the 70-80% range. Walking that hilly course was brutal, particularly because I also had/have a cold.

I must have refilled my 32 oz water bottle 4 or 5 times.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I walk with my push cart in up to mid 90s. The push cart has an umbrella holder which I use in summer if it is not too windy to pull the umbrella off the holder strap. Makes a big difference.  

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

115f was the reported number on several occassions. I also have a thermometer on my push cart that has read 108 in the shade. 

Just depends on what you are use to. I am born, raised, and lived in hot weather. Not a big deal for me. 

I have used a riding cart at the Death Vally course in the 120s, during our August get together. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Depends on the course, humidity and wind. 90F with humidity can be bad, but if there a decent breeze it becomes more tolerable. I've walked in 95F on a flatter course. But if there are hills, I may ride.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Heat, meh. 100+ with 95% + humidity. But with a lot of hills, I'd ride.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!