Jump to content
Shindig

Anyone wear UV sleeves?

76 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I had an appointment this morning with a dermatologist (just part of a regular checkup, considering how much time I spend outside).  She suggested that I get and wear UV sleeves.  I probably will take her suggestion.  Does anyone else wear these?  Are they like wearing detachable long sleeves for your shirt or are they something else?  Any associated recommendations? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Did she say anything about spray on sunblock? Is that not enough?

The only reason I considered the sleeves vs. sunblock is I don't like smelling like a tanning bed afterwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use them.  I have a condition (chronic graft vs. host disease "GVHD") that requires me to avoid contact with the sun.  They are detached but not like long sleeves.  More like tights for your arms.  There are also some that are "cooling".  I use to wear them all the time.  I still wear them because I have a handful of short sleeve polos that I still want to use.  I prefer to wear long sleeve shirts as I find them more comfortable than the tight sleeves.  I like the long sleeve Polos that are thin dri fit for warm/hot days. This one is a good deal and has lasted me quite a while with no signs of wear.  I have a couple of mediums and a small.  The small fits me better, we are about the same size if I recall correctly (5'11", 155 lbs.).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CIZHY6S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All covered up with sleeves:

20160810_131104.png

Tree shot.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  I had no idea where I'd be starting when I heard the advice.  Still have to read about the choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't have problems with the sun but IMHO, you would be way better off with sun blocking clothes than slathering sun screen all over. Who knows what all the chemicals in that stuff could cause down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We were in Pinehurst in May, and the majority of the caddies were wearing the sleeves and wide brim hats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Check this site out.   We have bought some sun shirts and they are pretty good

Solumbra

I checked that out and led me down a path of looking into the Sun-Protective clothing. Here is one article I read: http://www.skincancer.org/publications/the-melanoma-letter/summer-2012-vol-30-no-2/clothing

I use to think those ratings were a marketing gimick.  I believed that if I'm covering up with long pants, long sleeve shirts, big brimed hats and my skin is staying lily white then I'm getting protection.  Maybe that's just not enough...

Those shirts I mentioned in a previous post don't publish a rating as such I won't be getting them in the future.  I'm going to start paying attention to the sun protection ratings on clothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I use to think those ratings were a marketing gimick.  I believed that if I'm covering up with long pants, long sleeve shirts, big brimed hats and my skin is staying lily white then I'm getting protection.  Maybe that's just not enough...

I have read somewhere that regular clothing is only about spf 4.  I have a Solumbra swim shirt that is amazing.  I don't have one of their golf shirts but I will by next year.

Edited by dennyjones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn't know what they were until a few weeks ago when I was watching the women's US Open and many of the players were wearing long pants and UV sleeves. I assumed that's what the sleeves were, now I know. I just wear a floppy hat with a brim all the way around and use sunblock on my face, neck, ears, arms and legs. Covering up is undoubtedly safer, but it would be awfully hot and constricting, maybe some day.

Edited by Midpack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I have read somewhere that regular clothing is only about spf 4. 

Maybe I dont understand this correctly, but youre saying that me wearing just a tee shirt outside all day is worse than me wearing 15 or 30 SPF sunscreen all day? That doesnt add up. If regular clothing is only SPF 4, wouldnt pretty much everyone get burned when they are just outside in a single layer of regular clothing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Midpack said:

I didn't know what they were until a few weeks ago when I was watching the women's US Open and many of the players were wearing long pants and UV sleeves. I assumed that's what the sleeves were, now I know. I just wear a floppy hat with a brim all the way around and use sunblock on my face, neck, ears, arms and legs. Covering up is undoubtedly safer, but it would be awfully hot and constricting, maybe some day.

A guy i play with alot told me that many of the South Korean players often wear long pants and sleeves is because there is a stigma agaist being tanned in their culture. If you're tanned, It means that your  an "outside" person or something that has to do manual labor. Which i guess they look down on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Maybe I dont understand this correctly, but youre saying that me wearing just a tee shirt outside all day is worse than me wearing 15 or 30 SPF sunscreen all day? That doesnt add up. If regular clothing is only SPF 4, wouldnt pretty much everyone get burned when they are just outside in a single layer of regular clothing?

You may be mixing UPF (clothing) with SPF (sunblocks/creams), I don't think they're interchangeable. Google for much more info. And even everyday fabrics can range in UPF from 3 to 115 or more.

Edited by Midpack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Midpack said:

You may be mixing UPF (clothing) with SPF (sunblocks/creams), I don't think they're interchangeable. Google for much more info. And even everyday fabrics can range in UPF from 3 to 115 or more.

My bad, it is UPF, not SPF.   Most summer clothes are not as good as a SPF 30 sunscreen if applied every 2 hours.

 

This is a good read:

SPF of a t-shirt

Edited by dennyjones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/27/2017 at 5:13 AM, Valleygolfer said:

I don't have problems with the sun but IMHO, you would be way better off with sun blocking clothes than slathering sun screen all over. Who knows what all the chemicals in that stuff could cause down the road.

Yeah... not sure I'm super worried about chemicals in general, but the Lewis Black routine does ring in my head (not saying that's where your concern comes from, of course).  But the clothing achieving the same effect would undoubtedly be at least as safe.

On 7/27/2017 at 5:26 AM, caniac6 said:

We were in Pinehurst in May, and the majority of the caddies were wearing the sleeves and wide brim hats.

I do wear the full brim hat, but maybe I could find one wider.  I think the hats I wear qualify more as fishing hats than golf hats.  

Thanks again to everyone who is contributing.  There wasn't even a scare for me at the dermatologist, but it's something I'm now worried about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went to a dermatologist this year just to be safe and they took a pre-cancerous biopsy from my right shoulder.   The cost wasn't too expensive but it gave me peace of mind to know that at least currently, I'm good to go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/27/2017 at 5:13 AM, Valleygolfer said:

I don't have problems with the sun ...

It won't be a problem until it is.  My dermatologist told me most of the damage is done when people were young.   It can take decades before cancer shows up.

Edited by No Mulligans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...