IGNORED

Anyone Wear UV/Sun Sleeves?

Shindig
Note: This thread is 1115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I always wear sunscreen, usually 50 spf. If I didn't't sweat so much, I would consider wearing long sleeves more often.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I always wear sunscreen, usually 50 spf. If I didn't't sweat so much, I would consider wearing long sleeves more often.

I'm basically in this boat too. I will say though, a big issue of compression shirts for me is that they don't stay tucked into my pants, so a few holes in I'm basically wearing a bra. Sunsleeves would fix that issue, but I like wearing an undershirt, and they don't fix that issue.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I wear plenty of 50 spf, even when I'm just hitting the range.  I sweat... selectively.  I have to take off my glove regularly, for instance, but my shirt isn't soaked after a round.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I don't have issues with the sun, but I wear the Nike sleeves not attached to the shirt.  It actually keeps me pretty cool during my round in the New Mexico heat.

Today was a good day for me at Roger Dunn.  I hit some irons I'd been thinking about for a while (and I have some thoughts about my set for a post when I get my thoughts together), got a new glove ...

... and got a set of UV sleeves.  I'm going to wear them tomorrow and see how it goes. Some of you know how long it takes me from "maybe I'll do this" to doing it, even after I'm convinced to do it.  So this is pretty good.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

I don't sweat much, but I'm tempted to buy a set of sleeves to see how they work. What's the recommended one to buy? I don't care if it's a brand or an off brand, I'd want to try out a good pair to give myself the best chance of liking them.

Especially if they're on Amazon Prime.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas I'll check back tomorrow evening and let you know how I feel about the ones I got.  I picked up Nike solar sleeves.  Playing tomorrow morning, plans post-round, will check back in tomorrow night with initial impression. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

@Shindig  I look forward to your review as well, easily something I would pick up as well as I love going out for several rounds a day if possible and the sun can get pretty powerful out here...

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

For @iacas and @amished and anyone else interested.

Today was my first round with the sleeves.  I mostly didn't realize I was wearing them.  I did put sunscreen on my left arm this morning (force of habit) before putting on the sleeve, and I don't think that hurt anything.  I didn't notice a difference with my right, which didn't have sunscreen.

A few times during the round the part near my shoulder felt like it was slipping a bit, but not during a swing.  I pulled up my shirt sleeve, pulled up the Nike sleeve, and there I had it.  I wonder how long these go before they need a wash.  But I'm thinking of getting a second pair too.  Maybe a different color.

I like them a LOT better than wearing actual long sleeves.

I'm not sure they will fix @jamo's listed problem though... but I'm mildly obsessive about keeping my shirt tucked in.

-- Michael | My swing! 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

For @iacas and @amished and anyone else interested.

Today was my first round with the sleeves.  I mostly didn't realize I was wearing them.  I did put sunscreen on my left arm this morning (force of habit) before putting on the sleeve, and I don't think that hurt anything.  I didn't notice a difference with my right, which didn't have sunscreen.

A few times during the round the part near my shoulder felt like it was slipping a bit, but not during a swing.  I pulled up my shirt sleeve, pulled up the Nike sleeve, and there I had it.  I wonder how long these go before they need a wash.  But I'm thinking of getting a second pair too.  Maybe a different color.

I like them a LOT better than wearing actual long sleeves.

I'm not sure they will fix @jamo's listed problem though... but I'm mildly obsessive about keeping my shirt tucked in.

thanks for the review.   link to online sales?  Amazon?

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Wash them just as frequently as you wash a shirt. That's one day of wearing them for me. I line dry mine as the dryer seems to mess them up a bit. 

I have about 6 pairs of the sleeves. The quality varies from good to crappy, get good (i.e. expensive) ones. 

Edited by No Mulligans

I started wearing sleeves last year. Live near Atlanta and with summer heat and humidity felt like sunscreen wasn't lasting long before I had sweated it all away. Sleeves add some evaporative cooling as well. Have three pairs now so always have a clean set to wear. 

I have a wide brim hat but don't really like wearing it. Make sure I put lots of SPF 50 sunscreen on before my round .  I need to put more on at the turn but somehow always seem to forget.

21 hours ago, dennyjones said:

thanks for the review.   link to online sales?  Amazon?

Dunno.  I bought mine at the Roger Dunn for $20.

19 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Wash them just as frequently as you wash a shirt. That's one day of wearing them for me. I line dry mine as the dryer seems to mess them up a bit. 

I have about 6 pairs of the sleeves. The quality varies from good to crappy, get good (i.e. expensive) ones. 

Thanks.  Is $20 an expensive or inexpensive pair?

-- Michael | My swing! 

3 hours ago, Shindig said:

Dunno.  I bought mine at the Roger Dunn for $20.

Thanks.  Is $20 an expensive or inexpensive pair?

That's expesive.  I was going to mention aqua-x as the sleeves I like that are a bargain (though kind of small, for skinny arms like mine).  But, I can no longer find them on Amazon

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

That's expesive.  I was going to mention aqua-x as the sleeves I like that are a bargain (though kind of small, for skinny arms like mine).  But, I can no longer find them on Amazon

Thanks.  I might still get another pair or two.  I probably won't grab six though.

-- Michael | My swing! 

9 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

These also seem like something you could easily hand wash if you didn't want to buy a bunch of pairs. Just put them in a small bucket with a bit of detergent, let them soak, then air dry. I can't imagine they'd take long to air dry at all.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

4 hours ago, jamo said:

These also seem like something you could easily hand wash if you didn't want to buy a bunch of pairs. Just put them in a small bucket with a bit of detergent, let them soak, then air dry. I can't imagine they'd take long to air dry at all.

At least here in CO, they do not take very long to dry.  Actually, during hot days, I soak them in water when I play.  It helps me keep cool.  I would re-soak them with water (from on course water coolers) every 4-5 holes.  It feels nice and cool when wet.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

The Nike I saw on Amazon were very expensive..

"Nike Dri-Fit Solar Sleeves (Medium/Large, WHITE/BLACK)   $47.65!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 1115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!