IGNORED

Anyone Wear UV/Sun Sleeves?

Shindig
Note: This thread is 1108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

37 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

@iacas Have you tried those sleeves you linked? I’ve been getting burnt at work even with sunscreen, cause sometimes a few hours go by and I forget to reapply. For $10 if they’re good I’ll snag a few pairs.

Oops, thought it said that you posted that last monday not this monday...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

Oops, thought it said that you posted that last monday not this monday...

Yeah, they arrive tomorrow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have three pairs that I use regularly.  One is:

ADIDAS C/W GOLF SLEEVE WHT/STN S/M

SKU: I1242341 
Color:White/Stone
Size:S/M

#2 is:

ADIDAS C/C UV SLEEVES WHITE S/M

SKU: I1242337 
Color:White

And #3 is:

RJ SOLAR PERF COMPRESSION SLV WHT MARBLE S/M

SKU: I1209957 
Color:White

I hate putting sun tan lotion on so I use one of these instead.  When it gets hot, I also dump water on them prior to and during the round.  It helps keep cool having it wet.  Of course they dry off within a hole or two and then I reapply water.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator

I put the sleeves on just now, as they just arrived. They're quite long - to avoid any bunching they're basically up under my armpits. I thought they just extended until just inside the sleeves of a typical polo shirt. It's kinda weird how far up I have to pull them.

I can't go Medium (I got Large) because I feel like they'd squeeze my arms. I'm 5'10" so it's not like I have short little arms, either.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to wear them this afternoon to my daughter's golf practice. She'll probably freak out about how "embarrassing" they are. But it's 90° and sunny right now, so it'd be a good test. Maybe tomorrow.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

I put the sleeves on just now, as they just arrived. They're quite long - to avoid any bunching they're basically up under my armpits. I thought they just extended until just inside the sleeves of a typical polo shirt. It's kinda weird how far up I have to pull them.

I can't go Medium (I got Large) because I feel like they'd squeeze my arms. I'm 5'10" so it's not like I have short little arms, either.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to wear them this afternoon to my daughter's golf practice. She'll probably freak out about how "embarrassing" they are. But it's 90° and sunny right now, so it'd be a good test. Maybe tomorrow.

Tell her it builds character and that her embarrassment fills you with mirth.

😆

Colin P.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, colin007 said:

Tell her it builds character and that her embarrassment fills you with mirth.

😆

Yeah, and if you don't hear from me in four hours or less, please call the police on my behalf.

They'll find my body in the living room.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah, and if you don't hear from me in four hours or less, please call the police on my behalf.

They'll find my body in the living room.

Loooool

So did you wear them???

Colin P.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Loooool

So did you wear them???

Yes… and then we got a pop-up thunderstorm, the temperature dropped 10 degrees, and I took them off as it was just cloudy and muddy.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll get a chance?

Early very brief impressions were positive. And… the daughter just said they looked "weird" and it looked like I "thought it was cold, not hot outside." But she let me wear them in public with her. :-)

I started wearing sleeves due to being fair skinned and disliking all sunburn, chemical sunblock and farmer's tans.

Living in a hot, sunny climate the whole sunblock thing just wore me out. Bad smell, getting it on hands and then having to wash hands, persistent stickiness, needing to scrub it off in the shower - pretty much kissed all of these goodbye and now enjoy just flipping the sleeves off and getting a drink or moving on after a round.

BTW, chemical sunblocks kill coral (for me they also cause some acne and make my eyes a little red) whereas the safer alternatives make me look super white. I do put some zinc based sunblock on my face and neck.

Another point, some younger people are actually of the mind that sleeves are cool due to the NBA - like Carmelo Anthony shooting sleeves. Since I've gotten older I have noticed the shorts, long sleeve button-down shirts look that was completely taboo, moved into style as well. And fishermen now seem to be all into long sleeve t-shirts.

If I had kids I would want them to get sun safe clothes because it is a bigger deal for kids.

9 hours ago, ladders11 said:

I started wearing sleeves due to being fair skinned and disliking all sunburn, chemical sunblock and farmer's tans.

Living in a hot, sunny climate the whole sunblock thing just wore me out. Bad smell, getting it on hands and then having to wash hands, persistent stickiness, needing to scrub it off in the shower - pretty much kissed all of these goodbye and now enjoy just flipping the sleeves off and getting a drink or moving on after a round.

BTW, chemical sunblocks kill coral (for me they also cause some acne and make my eyes a little red) whereas the safer alternatives make me look super white. I do put some zinc based sunblock on my face and neck.

Another point, some younger people are actually of the mind that sleeves are cool due to the NBA - like Carmelo Anthony shooting sleeves. Since I've gotten older I have noticed the shorts, long sleeve button-down shirts look that was completely taboo, moved into style as well. And fishermen now seem to be all into long sleeve t-shirts.

If I had kids I would want them to get sun safe clothes because it is a bigger deal for kids.

Personally, I think that the knowledge about global warming and the seriousness of the sun and skin cancer is a factor with this as well.  It probably does help that there are more athletes using sleeves and that it's "acceptable" to wear them as well but cancer in general is a major concern of mine and a driving factor into looking into these types of sleeves.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

• Administrator

I wore them today and except for how long they were (right up into the armpits), I enjoyed them. My arms stayed the same temperature, I felt, maybe even a little cooler. I don't sweat much, which helps. I imagine if you sweat they may not go over so well.

White is a good color… except they'll wear out faster because I'll have to wash them more frequently.

I give them my recommendation. Let's be healthier out there, folks!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wonder why they don't make multi skin tone colors so as to camouflage so it doesn't look like you're wearing them?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Wonder why they don't make multi skin tone colors so as to camouflage so it doesn't look like you're wearing them?

Might be a good idea.

Then again, maybe it's still obvious you're wearing sleeves?

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I wore them today and except for how long they were (right up into the armpits), I enjoyed them. My arms stayed the same temperature, I felt, maybe even a little cooler. I don't sweat much, which helps. I imagine if you sweat they may not go over so well.

White is a good color… except they'll wear out faster because I'll have to wash them more frequently.

I give them my recommendation. Let's be healthier out there, folks!

I have some white ones which I rarely wear - but should. They actually do have a cooling effect in hot conditions in case anyone is wondering. The ones you can get from ebay for a few dollars including postage are fine.

The main issue, as Iacas noted (and it's the same for cycling arm warmers ) is that they can be too long and go right up near the armpits.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Hmm... if Large worked for Erik and I'm 5'8, maybe I should get medium.  I have two medium (I believe medium, I should check) pairs of the Nike ones from when I started this thread.

I also have since bought a Wal-Mart brand white dri-fit long sleeve undershirt that I have worn under a golf shirt to play, worked decently well but it was kinda cool that day, not sure I'd want two layers when the weather is more hot.  I have two Hanes similar shirts on the way.

Between that and three pairs of golf-friendly pants, I'm far less exposed to the sun when I play.  It's pretty much my hands and face (and sometimes upper chest if I don't go the undershirt route).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

58 minutes ago, iacas said:

Might be a good idea.

Then again, maybe it's still obvious you're wearing sleeves?

They should just make translucent ones. 😜

Just bought a pair of white ones. And an SPF hat too.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

47 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

And an SPF hat too.

SPF hat?  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

44 minutes ago, Shindig said:

SPF hat?  

Apparently there's like SPF everything - shirts, umbrellas, etc... Not sure how accurate the SPF coverage is, but I liked the hat because it covers the neck.

https://amzn.to/2xV9IOr

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Note: This thread is 1108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!