IGNORED

Anyone Wear UV/Sun Sleeves?

Shindig
Note: This thread is 1087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Wonder why they don't make multi skin tone colors so as to camouflage so it doesn't look like you're wearing them?

My guess is to reflect much light as possible?

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unless it's smoking hot, I try and wear the long sleeve shirts I use for fishing.  They are lightweight, quick drying, and have UV protection.  If too hot/stagnant for those, I use SPF50+.  I do see many folks wearing the sleeves though and may give them a try.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:09 PM, No Mulligans said:

It won't be a problem until it is.  My dermatologist told me most of the damage is done when people were young.   It can take decades before cancer shows up.

Much truth to that, but one can still reduce further damage no matter how late in the game. 

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

6 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Apparently there's like SPF everything - shirts, umbrellas, etc... Not sure how accurate the SPF coverage is, but I liked the hat because it covers the neck.

https://amzn.to/2xV9IOr

Thanks.  I have a hat with a backing to it ... not as elaborate as that one.  My only issue with that one is I have trouble using my rangefinder when wearing that particular hat.  Can you use a laser rangefinder in one of these hats?  I might get one of these if it won't interfere with that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Good conversation! I’ve been wearing Tilley widebrim upf 50+ hats for the past 15 years. Had the same dermatologist as well. Working outdoors on the ocean in Hawaii, caused him to express concern about my other outdoor activities. Since then I basically wear exofficio or Patagonia long sleeve lite weight shirts with upf coverage. 

Never thought of doing the sleeves until this thread. It’s gotta be cooler than 2 layers right? Well I’ll try it out. Might be a while. July has me on my Harley and knott on the golf course, except for July 2-4 at some San Diego goat path.

Aloha,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, Shorty said:

I have some white ones which I rarely wear - but should. They actually do have a cooling effect in hot conditions in case anyone is wondering. The ones you can get from ebay for a few dollars including postage are fine.

The main issue, as Iacas noted (and it's the same for cycling arm warmers ) is that they can be too long and go right up near the armpits.

Can't you cut that part down?  Or do they stay up by elastic that's just at the ends?

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

45 minutes ago, scotth said:

Can't you cut that part down?  Or do they stay up by elastic that's just at the ends?

I recently got some sleeves, and the elastic at the end seems like it's the best way to keep the sleeves in place.  I certainly wouldn't want to cut it down, but I don't see why you couldn't have the elastic more around your bicep rather than up near your armpit if that was uncomfortable for you.

Personally, it doesn't bother me to have it up near my armpit, I just like to ensure that my arms are covered with them.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 12:31 PM, Shindig said:

Hmm... if Large worked for Erik and I'm 5'8, maybe I should get medium.  I have two medium (I believe medium, I should check) pairs of the Nike ones from when I started this thread.

I got a pair of medium in grey from Aegend on Amazon.  I wore them for the first time today and unlike the Nike ones, they stayed up the whole time -- with the Nike ones, I periodically have to readjust them.  I'll wear them again tomorrow.  I have to figure out how to wash them because I think the company says not to machine wash and certainly not to put them in the dryer.  Do I just run them under a sink?  

Also, one thing I like doing with my Nike ones is to wet them on a hot day when I'm wearing them.  Unlike splashing water on my skin, the cold water sticks around for a hole or two, which is nice.  I haven't tried this yet with my Aegend ones.

If the Aegend wash fine, I'll probably get another pair of them.  I think I prefer these to having the two-layer approach with a long-sleeve dri-fit undershirt (might change my mind in winter?) and them not needing to be readjusted every few holes is nice.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 6/8/2018 at 2:32 PM, nevets88 said:

Wonder why they don't make multi skin tone colors so as to camouflage so it doesn't look like you're wearing them?

I guess that would be like Band Aid's guessing at what the average skin tone really is. In my whole life, I have never seen anyone with a skin tone that matches a Band Aid!

If they want stylish, why not ink them up like tattoo sleeves? Then you could be the baddest Dad on the course, as well as UV protected!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

On 7/27/2018 at 6:19 PM, Shindig said:

I got a pair of medium in grey from Aegend on Amazon.  I wore them for the first time today and unlike the Nike ones, they stayed up the whole time -- with the Nike ones, I periodically have to readjust them.  I'll wear them again tomorrow.  I have to figure out how to wash them because I think the company says not to machine wash and certainly not to put them in the dryer.  Do I just run them under a sink?  

Also, one thing I like doing with my Nike ones is to wet them on a hot day when I'm wearing them.  Unlike splashing water on my skin, the cold water sticks around for a hole or two, which is nice.  I haven't tried this yet with my Aegend ones.

If the Aegend wash fine, I'll probably get another pair of them.  I think I prefer these to having the two-layer approach with a long-sleeve dri-fit undershirt (might change my mind in winter?) and them not needing to be readjusted every few holes is nice.

Please update this thread with how they wash, I'm struggling to find a good pair that I don't have to have some specific care that I have to worry about.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

1 hour ago, amished said:

Please update this thread with how they wash, I'm struggling to find a good pair that I don't have to have some specific care that I have to worry about.

So far all I've done is hang them up and wear them the next day.  My next round is probably Thursday, and I'm not sure if I'll do anything with them between now and then.

I'm not even sure what hand wash means.  Rinse them in the sink?  What sort of soap do I use?  I use Tide Pods when I do laundry-in-a-machine.  I think I'll rinse them in a bathroom sink and hang them up on the towel rack to dry. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Get yourself some Woolite. Dissolve it in cold water in a basin or sink and soak the sleeves, and whatever else you want, in it. Rinse in cold water and hang to dry. Not that hard.

I've also noticed that some of the new, moisture wicking, fabrics don't hang onto the stink of BO like cotton did! My shirts used to reek after a round of golf in hot temps. These days, I'll get home after a round and take off my shirt. Note, I don't have to "peel" it off my body like I used to. The shirt feels as dry as when I put it on!

I've held them up to my nose and sniffed. There's no funk! I still chuck them in the hamper to be washed, but it's nice that I'm not offending those with me having a post-round beer or two with foul odors!

• 2 weeks later...

I started wearing them a couple of summers ago and I really like them. I find that they aren't any hotter (maybe even a bit cooler)  and they don't interfere with my swing or anything like that.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 1 month later...

OK...the hot sunny golf season is almost ready to end (at least in the land of perpetual cloudiness).   I'm interested in buying some UV sleeves for next year but I'm hoping for a review, how well do they wash, how well do they wear and would you buy the same ones again.

thanks

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• iacas changed the title to Anyone Wear UV/Sun Sleeves?
  • Administrator

Just added five pair of various colors of these:

https://amzn.to/3dvlsZq

I intend to wear them when I'm wearing short sleeves. I may even wear them when I wear a quarter-zip on days I may take it off.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In the Florida Summer I wear them. Preferably white sleeves. They not only offer some protection from UV, they also act like a cooling and wicking effect once the sweat begins to flow.

Fairways and Greens,

Frank

34 minutes ago, Frank F said:

In the Florida Summer I wear them. Preferably white sleeves. They not only offer some protection from UV, they also act like a cooling and wicking effect once the sweat begins to flow.

That’s what I like most about them. Keeps my hands dry.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Just added five pair of various colors of these:

https://amzn.to/3dvlsZq

I intend to wear them when I'm wearing short sleeves. I may even wear them when I wear a quarter-zip on days I may take it off.

Those look very nice.  

I purchased these Aegend 8/2019.   They are a little long but I'm very pleased. I have white and gray

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I usually wear the white sleeves in the summer time, too. As others have noted, I appreciate the UV protection and they seem to me to feel cooler than just a bare arm. And, (I just have to say it), the color matches my belt...   😈

• Funny 1

Note: This thread is 1087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!