IGNORED

Must you put the ball in the hole always?

Hategolf
Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play with this buddy of mine who shoots in the low to mid 100s. He is not as aware with pace of play as I am. He insist in putting everything, even the 5 inch gimmies and such, he says he likes to hear the ball going in the hole. I tell them sometimes as we  fall behind and for the sake of keeping place he should take my not always generous gimmies. He refuses because he wants to see if he is improving...I say really???

I pick up if I blow up in a hole and I get more than triple and he gives me a hard time. 

I think there are more productive ways to see if he is improving, if he is shooting 110!...such as fat shots, hooks, slices OBs and such...but 5 inch putts?...

What do you think?

Edited by Hategolf

I don't think five inch putts necessarily affect speed of play, but he should definitely pick it up earlier if he starts posting big scores. 

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My thought is that if you're above 100, it's fine to play modified golf where you can do things to help speed of play. Take gimmes, pick up the ball after disaster strikes, etc. As long as you're keeping up, however, I'd not really care if someone was still trying to play according to the rules. But if they're mid-100s and slowing up the course, errr, c'mon man.

I figure as long as you're consistently doing the same things every round, your score will be generally indicative of whether or not you are improving. In fact, you can probably not even keep score and just feel from the contact of the ball whether or not you are making better swings. But I understand that people might want a score to show measurable progress.

Once you're under 100 (rather arbitrary), you could start tightening up how you play and start getting more in accordance with the rules. But the key is speed of play, not necessarily the score. I think 100 is just my gut feel for the number where my experience has shown that a player is taking so many shots that even if they are relatively fast, there's still an impact on pace of play- particularly blow up holes that 100s shooters have often.

• Upvote 5

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I'd be more focused on keeping up with play.   It's not wrong to want to putt out but there are other things that he can do to speed up play.   Do you guys play ready golf?    

• Upvote 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Pace of play trumps all, if anyone is behind you.  He can hear all the balls going in the hole he wants on the practice green. ;-) 

I agree too, there are other things that influence pace of play that people should be more aware of.  Ready golf, efficient cart management, and an overall sense of urgency to keep moving are just a couple...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I am playing in a league this year with new players every week. It's interesting to see how differently each person, and even each foursome, "interprets" the rules. To be fair, the published league rules stipulate some exceptions to the rules mostly in the interest of speeding up play. I play with people who are overly generous with gimmies (presumably because they want the same) and others who will putt everything though many are literal tap ins. Some play winter rules everywhere including in the rough, others play everything as it lies unless it's on something that might damage a club/cause injury. Some play ready golf everywhere, some observe tee honors but ready golf otherwise, and some observe tee honors and furthest away. Some observe out of bounds and hazards in accord with the rules, others take liberties - though I have yet to see anyone hit a provisional ball even when they're obviously OB.

The two published exceptions that everyone seems to observe are 1) free drop from landscaped/mulched areas, and 2) highest possible score on any hole is double par 3>6, 4>8, 5>10 and players will pick up once they reach double par minus a stroke if they're not in.

Since it's my first year in the league I go with the flow, but I try to putt out and observe the rules anyway.

Edited by Midpack

If the issue is keeping up pace of play, I'd just bring up the topic in general and let him figure out how he handles it his way.

Bringing up just this specific item instead just sounds like you're venting a pet peeve.

It's none of our business 'why' he wants to putt out.  If that gives him enjoyment in the activity, so what?  It's none of our business how he chooses to improve his game.

Sometimes it's hard for people to just live and let live.

Make the issue slow play and don't dig deeper unless advice is requested - slow play affects others so that's legit

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

As someone that is still fairly brutal and can have some really off days, pace of play has to be top of mind. It was impressed on me from the time I first started. Do whatever you can to avoid holding up play. That's the first priority.

The second priority is putting the ball in the hole.

Even now there are occasionally days where I have to pick up a hole or two. It kills me when it happens. Still it has to happen.  

As others have already said: pace of play 1st, everything else is 2nd

Especially if you're shooting over 100, and 3/4-putting every green, you should NOT be spending 30 seconds lining up a putt and practice swinging a putt. That drives me bonkers. Also, if you've taken 6 strokes on a par 5 and haven't reached the green yet, pick it up and move on to the next hole.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

1 minute ago, jkelley9 said:

As others have already said: pace of play 1st, everything else is 2nd

Especially if you're shooting over 100, and 3/4-putting every green, you should NOT be spending 30 seconds lining up a putt and practice swinging a putt. That drives me bonkers. Also, if you've taken 6 strokes on a par 5 and haven't reached the green yet, pick it up and move on to the next hole.

I'm not a big fan of this philosophy.  If you are keeping up with the group in front of you, I don't care if you are on stroke 20.  if you aren't keeping up, I care if you are on stroke 2.

Bill - 

I understand what he is doing. When you are starting out and you are really bad you will hang on to any little bit of success you can get - and that's what keeps you from quitting.   

Re: pace of play, I think if you shoot 110 you should not be playing during peak times. Admittedly peak times are already so painfully slow a 5" putt isn't going to move the needle, but why add to the morass. 

Maybe encourage your friend to play a "match play" format, and pick up after penalties or if somebody goes over 8, etc. That'll make it go faster.

If he's taking time to line the ball up and go through a routine, that's probably a bit over the line. Just tap it in.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

I'm not a big fan of this philosophy.  If you are keeping up with the group in front of you, I don't care if you are on stroke 20.  if you aren't keeping up, I care if you are on stroke 2.

It's a moot point for me. If someone is taking 6 strokes into a par 5 and they're keeping up with the group in front of them, then I'm turning my cart around (or driving back) to the parking lot, getting into my truck, going home, and cracking open a beer to curb my frustration.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

• Administrator

I played with a guy once who probably shot 250+ if he had actually played by the rules (two to five lost balls per hole)… but he had to hit the ball in the hole every time. I almost literally stabbed him in the hand with the flagstick a few times when he would tap in his six-inch putt for a 23 when I assumed he'd be picking it up.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Of course you don't have to put the ball in the hole. Non tournament you pick up at your handicap max and move on. If you don't track cap then pick up at 8 and go. Pace of play, common courtesy, don't back up the course. I imagine if no one is close behind you, who cares but ..... if your new or hacking it up that bad on a busy day perhaps you need to be on the practice green/ range. I imagine I sound like a jerk but....too bad

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

I played with a guy once who probably shot 250+ if he had actually played by the rules (two to five lost balls per hole)… but he had to hit the ball in the hole every time. I almost literally stabbed him in the hand with the flagstick a few times when he would tap in his six-inch putt for a 23 when I assumed he'd be picking it up.

I think i've played with that guy too.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

My personal rule is if I'm going to hit ESC, pick up. Doesn't matter where I am, I'll just watch my partners finish the hole.

Hit two balls OB off the tee? Time to walk to the next hole.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!