IGNORED

which iron will u recommend for beginner?

Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which iron will you recommend?

• Ping - G10
    • Mizuno - Mx 25
    • Nickent - 3DX Hybrid
    • Taylor Made - 2007 R7 iron
    • Muraman - Exim Nano
    • Others - Please post the model. thanks.

please help me to select the iron you guys will recommend to a new golf learner:

1) Ping - G10
2) Mizuno - Mx 25
3) Nickent - 3DX hybrid
4) TaylorMade - 2007 R7 iron
5) Maruman - Exim Nano

i was thinking to get only 5-PW or SW and hybrid for 3 and 4. what you guys think?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say either the TM or the Ping G10.

I've read a lot of good reviews on the TMs.
In My Grom Stand Bag:

Driver:
Big Bertha 460 Graphite 10°
Woods: Big Bertha 3&5 Graphite
Hybrid: r7 Rescue 19° Irons: 06 Big Bertha #4-SWPutter: 35 in. Rossie Mallet *Soon to be Bettinardi C03H 34"Ball: ProV1x

please help me to select the iron you guys will recommend to a new golf learner:

For a beginner, I wouldn't go for the pricey stuff. The person could decide they hate the game the first day.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I just got the TM 2007 RAC OS and i love them, their a very forgiving club for a beginner and have helped me with some of the shots that i might have either hooked or sliced with a TP or Blade iron.

Go with the G10, they are the best club for a beginner.

Driver: G10 10.5 Stock Shaft
3 Wood: Taylormade r580XD
Irons: AP2 3-P, Project X 5.5
Wedges: Tour-W 52*, 56* SM, 60* SM
Putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5 34"Ball: ProV1 or ProV1xLow Score:74

The Adams a3's are worth checking out...

http://www.adamsgolf.com/idea_a3_irons.htm

they include a 3 and 4 hybrid as you mentioned, and Adams hybrids are some of the best around.

The Nickent's are also solid, and make nice hybrids.

Of course, I suggest hitting a number of clubs and buying what fits your game and is appealing to you.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Hey honestly i think the club of choice has to be the Ping Eye 2's the same ones tim herron still plays. They are the best beginner set ever made and also the best set ever made

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Haven't heard much about the others, but I have heard great things about the new G10's and I have personally hit the TaylorMades, which are outstanding beginners clubs as well. Take a look at Callway's Big Bertha line if ya get the chance too.

I think for any beginner as such would be to shell-out a decent amount of money on some quality Over sized clubs.

Oversized clubs are great, as they offer forgiveness and as the player develops, the quality of the club will allow the irons to stay with the player for a couple of years. Rather than getting a new pair of tour clubs and not being able to hit them consistently.

Look for (scond hand or new) Big Berthas, Ping G's or EYEs

anyone agree?
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

I definitely agree with you on this one. Starting off with a good set of forgiving clubs will help you in the long run. It will also help in that when you start having issues, you know its your swing, and theres no need to blame the equipment ;) But yes as you said marpr, Callaway's Big Berthas are splendid beginners irons, as are most Pings.

how long can the G10 last? can i use it till maybe the handicap around 5 to 10?

Yes, my coach's daughter who plays at about a 2 handicap and plays college golf just got some G10's (her dad, my coach is sponsored by Ping)

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

All those in your poll are game improvement irons. You are not looking at super game improvement irons? PING's rapture, TM has R7cgb, Mizuno's is MX950. These irons are chunkier, feel less precise, but are more forgiving. There are a couple great deals going on now, with Cobra S9 and Mizuno MX900. Both last year's model, but are great irons. They are now hundreds less than what it was last year.

All those in your poll are game improvement irons. You are not looking at super game improvement irons? PING's rapture, TM has R7cgb, Mizuno's is MX950. These irons are chunkier, feel less precise, but are more forgiving. There are a couple great deals going on now, with Cobra S9 and Mizuno MX900. Both last year's model, but are great irons. They are now hundreds less than what it was last year.

i know about S9, but also heard few bad review. that why never take into consideration. i try not to look for muscle back club as it will affect long term playing, am i right to say that?

never really go in detail of the rapture. maybe will have a look as for mizuno, i really know what is the difference, but mx 25 had good review.

how long can the G10 last? can i use it till maybe the handicap around 5 to 10?

absolutely!

i think the next thing you need to worry about (once you've purchased some great clubs) is shaft flex. I suggest going for a steel shaft (stay away from graphite unless you swing quite slow), if your quite strong and swing fast, go for a stiff flex. There are many great 2nd hand stiff flex iron sets out there. This is because stiff flex players are generally mid to low handicapers who change their clubs every 1 or 2 years. Ebay is great for clubs. or Callaway Pre Owned website too.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!