IGNORED

How do you keep the rust off your game during the winter?

scotth
Note: This thread is 2427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, swffjvl said:

I did notice courses stay open late and do have a few indoor places to get out and swing.

Will look again this year, but did not find any indoor places near me, unless you count the sports bar 60 miles away that has 2 golf simulators and you can bring your own golf bag.  

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, scotth said:

Will look again this year, but did not find any indoor places near me, unless you count the sports bar 60 miles away that has 2 golf simulators and you can bring your own golf bag.  

I'm down in Albany, we're lucky to have a few around. 

Cobra Max Irons......Cobra F7 Hybrid..... 

A cheap Wedge and Driver I picked up online....

A bunch of Balls.... and a bag for it all.

Heated Stalls Range 5 minutes from the house, and when the conditions are right, I hit that. Conditions being if the wind isn't blowing out of the W or NW too hard and temps are reasonable. They used to forget to keep the balls inside overnight and there would be ice on the balls in the morning. I think I shamed them into heating the storage room and NOT keep them in the machine overnight.

Then, the usual trip to FL in mid-March gets the game going and I'm ready to go by the time I get back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've written down what I've learned this year in the hope that I don't  have to relearn those lessons next Spring.

It's grass only in season (preferred) but our local municipal (cheap) driving range has about 20 bays/mats under a long shed with overhead heaters so we can hit year round weather permitting. $5 & $8 buckets. I plan to take advantage of it. Nothing like that near the OP I guess.

Edited by Midpack

22 minutes ago, Midpack said:

It's grass only in season (preferred) but our local municipal (cheap) driving range has about 20 bays/mats under a long shed with overhead heaters so we can hit year round weather permitting. $5 & $8 buckets. I plan to take advantage of it. Nothing like that near the OP I guess.

Not that I have found by googling and asking other golfers around here.  Did find a place in Syracuse where you hit on a simulator and can play a round of golf.  

One of several problems I see with this place is the $50.00 an hour charge.

Still looking for some kind of indoor practice place for the winter.  Might need to lease some land and put up a shed and start my own place as described above.

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

The club I belong to has 2 indoor golf simulators which is great.  We have a couple of leagues over the winter and it keeps the competitive juices flowing.  Last year was the first year with the simulators and by spring my swing was pretty good. 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

22 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I just keep playing. 

Same here. Weather in the Netherlands make it possible for all year round, maybe a couple of weeks out because of snow and freezing. Still very unconfortable due to rain, mud, wind and too many layers of clothing. But I just play on year round.

Problem will be solved when I move to live in Spain end of september :banana:

4 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Problem will be solved when I move to live in Spain end of september :banana:

What is the weather in Spain?  Do they have tempered weather year round?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

What is the weather in Spain?  Do they have tempered weather year round?

Depends on where you stay. Near Malaga at the coast (where I go) temps are between 60-86 Fahrenheit.

I will hit balls at my covered driving rznge anout a mile awaya few times a month, play when I can, and work on putting anf chipping in my basement on the green im going to build next month.  Im at a point where my short game will help me shoot uppee 70s consistent. 

After dinner, put another log on the fire.  Pour a couple fingers of whisky, and consider the french doors.  Breathe deep the woodwork...as if it had life.  Step outside and fill your nostrils with the tang of dark and cold.  Hang out some suet.  Reflect how appropriate your wool shirt is.  Look at the sky.  Appreciate the crunch of snow under foot.  Think how cool all that ----is.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 7/31/2017 at 10:42 AM, scotth said:

Sadly as August is about to start, I am already seeing ample evidence that summer is almost over.  Later sunrise, earlier sunsets are already cutting into time when I can get out and play before or after work.  Which is a real shame, because my game is bouncing back quickly after a long 15 year layoff from golf.

When I lived in Austin and Dallas we would play year round, but that is just not going to happen this far north.  Obviously I will play as long as I can this fall and hope the snow doesn't come to early.  

I am wondering what others up north do to keep their games in shape.  I have a weighted practice club that I use to strengthen my back, and a putting green.  Wondering what else can be reasonably done, without an expensive hitting cage.  

I live in Canada, but luckily southern bc so snow usually isn't an issue, but winter does get colder and super rainy.  I've probably played more golf this year, than I have in probably 15 years, but the end of summer really stinks.  I'm probably going to spend a lot of time putting in the reps with my swing so I can become the ball striking robot I've always desired to be, and I'll probably continue to play early mornings on the weekends since the days will be simply too short for me to go after work.  

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

just keep playing. For me i often play more golf during autumn and winter as the course's are quieter (less fair weather only golfers out). Plus i practice putting and chipping indoors and pitching indoors with foam balls

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Living in Chicago we do get our share of winter. I try to play as much as possible - even if it's only to walk 9 holes. Hitting balls in a dome or on a simulator are nice, but I tend to get sloppy with my swing so I try to limit it to a small bucket and a few swings with each club. Most of all, find a way to keep moving and walking during the winter and I focus on my stretching exercises. Good luck!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

Note: This thread is 2427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!