IGNORED

How do you keep the rust off your game during the winter?

scotth
Note: This thread is 2428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sadly as August is about to start, I am already seeing ample evidence that summer is almost over.  Later sunrise, earlier sunsets are already cutting into time when I can get out and play before or after work.  Which is a real shame, because my game is bouncing back quickly after a long 15 year layoff from golf.

When I lived in Austin and Dallas we would play year round, but that is just not going to happen this far north.  Obviously I will play as long as I can this fall and hope the snow doesn't come to early.  

I am wondering what others up north do to keep their games in shape.  I have a weighted practice club that I use to strengthen my back, and a putting green.  Wondering what else can be reasonably done, without an expensive hitting cage.  

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Although it has been quite some time since I last lived up north; I recall maintaining my physical and mental acuity, during the winter months, by shoveling snow, ice skating, splitting wood, bowling, reading, cooking, assembling jigsaw puzzles, watching television, cross-country skiing, throwing snowballs, and playing cards.  There wasn't much time for anything else.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I'm assuming (help me out here!) that you are referring to golf related activities.   I am fortunate.   I bought a net and mat for my garage, I have access to a private club with 3 indoor hitting bays and about 10 miles away there is a very nice simulator.   I didn't practice as much last year because the wife has me doing honey do list stuff.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

The 4th of July wasn't even 4 weeks ago and you're already writing off the golf season?

I grew up in Wisconsin and it was an unusual year that I couldn't at least sneak a round in in November....and October can be the BEST month of the year more often than not!  Your glass is barely half empty.  Enjoy it!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Last year (my second winter) I used the time to take lessons and practice at the covered range. I think I will do that again this year if the budget allows.

My first winter I tried to play from the forward tees and that was just pretty miserable. I won't do that again.

13 minutes ago, David in FL said:

The 4th of July wasn't even 4 weeks ago and you're already writing off the golf season?

I grew up in Wisconsin and it was an unusual year that I couldn't at least sneak a round in in November....and October can be the BEST month of the year more often than not!  Your glass is barely half empty.  Enjoy it!

@David in FL is correct. 

Last winter we played in February with 55º temperatures and played up until mid November.   Don't write off the golf season yet.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

(edited)
40 minutes ago, David in FL said:

No, not writing off the season at all.  I am super excited to both be playing again pain free, and the progress I am making on getting back to a single digit handicap.  

I am a planner by nature, and just trying to figure out if there is a way to keep the progress moving forward during the winter.  Actually played several times in November, December and January last winter.  I will play as many days as I can if there isn't snow and decent temperatures.  

Would love to find an indoor practice facility, but didn't see any last year within 90 minutes of here.

Edited by scotth

Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff

3 hours ago, scotth said:

I am wondering what others up north do to keep their games in shape.  I have a weighted practice club that I use to strengthen my back, and a putting green.  Wondering what else can be reasonably done, without an expensive hitting cage.  

1. Work out to keep the muscles limber.

2. Work on slow backswing pieces

3. Try to hit the range on not as cold days. 

4. Go to Erie, PA For a golf lesson :) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I grew up in upstate NY and I never thought about shaking the rust off of my game. I just took out the clubs the first days of spring when the courses were open and went and played. At that time I was only playing once or twice a week and did not have a USGA handicap just a league handicap at my work place. Since I moved to the west coast in 1976 I have not worried about winter as we get to play most every day all year. 

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

Good point! I'm in NE Ohio, which is not exactly the banana belt! And I've played rounds the day after Thanksgiving, the day after Christmas, and any time the weather will let us get out. Plus, we have a "golf dome" locally where we can hit balls all Winter. But, other priorities intrude, like putting some venison in the freezer, so the rust accrues!

It seems to be a little less every year, but it's still there!

Having a recording of my swing from last season to compare to when I started swinging this Spring helped reassure me that things like my setup were still correct, even though it felt awkward after not swinging for so many months. So if you do have to take a total hiatus, I think that will help.

Other than that, just echoing what others have said: work out, stay active, use practice facilities here and there if you have the opportunity. 

Indoor golf dome. We hit it once the snow comes and the courses permanently close. To me its pretty much the same as hitting mats outdoors. Other than you get to trudge through the snow at 30 below. and the simulators feel more like real golf in the winter

But, we still have about three months of outdoor golf before the snow comes.

MOVE!!!  Move somewhere warm all year.  Life is too short to have to give up golf that many months out of the year.   :-D

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

12 hours ago, RickK said:

MOVE!!!  Move somewhere warm all year.  Life is too short to have to give up golf that many months out of the year.   :-D

Pass.  Moved here to get away from the heat.  

Sunny and 69 here.  Dallas going to be 99 with feels like of 106.....  

Here walked 9 this morning and going to walk again this afternoon and play 18 with some buddies.  Would not even dream of walking 27 holes in a day in Dallas in August.

After club championship in early November, I usually put clubs away until late Feb. Then, I work on home projects and finish income tax to clear way for spring golf.

I also increase workouts, as they tend to get neglected during fall final golf blitz. Will also test clubs on launch monitor, get regrips done. Might play nine or hit a few balls on warm day.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Absent indoor practice facilities/net......

stretch, conditioning exercises, flexibility exercises stretch, yoga? Treadmill, stretch

Edited by chilepepper

If room allows it, nets really aren't too expensive. At least it keeps you in tune.

I'm lucky just a bit south of you. Even though this is my first year, I did notice courses stay open late and do have a few indoor places to get out and swing.

Cobra Max Irons......Cobra F7 Hybrid..... 

A cheap Wedge and Driver I picked up online....

A bunch of Balls.... and a bag for it all.

Note: This thread is 2428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!