IGNORED

What are you doing for the total solar eclipse?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Someone brought in "authorized" sun glasses and we have all peeked at the action a bit.  Only going to be around 80% but it is cool enough to take a gander.  Not cool enough to drive to Kentucky.

BUT - I'm planning on driving to Ohio in 2024, because the total darkness thing would be 1000x way cooler than it just seeming not so bright outside.

Disclaimer - I've likely jinxed the state of Ohio on April 8, 2024 to have a storm, maybe even a snowstorm just to prove the power of the Wally Jinx.

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Left work early to hang out with the kids during the eclipse. They made cereal box viewers with the wife this morning. It was fun to get them into stuff like this even though it was only 70% here.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

Left work early to hang out with the kids during the eclipse. They made cereal box viewers with the wife this morning. It was fun to get them into stuff like this even though it was only 70% here.

I improvised one when I got home. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I didn't see a total eclipse, but I better understand why people make a big deal out of it. Will plan better for the next one. Gave away the rest of my glasses to passer byers. Was next to a large body of water and the lighting was weird - like looking through a polaroid lens.

https://twitter.com/kathylun/status/899697514399506432

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

HHmmmmm, Buenos Aires, July 2019

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2019-july-2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

60% was not that impressive. I stayed in my lab while everyone else went up on the roof. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

We had 92% coverage in Denver. It was pretty cool. Got pretty dark - like dusk basically. Looking at the Sun through the glasses was really cool. Would view again.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I improvised one when I got home. 

Me too.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Way cool.  Looked like a toenail...dressed up for Halloween.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I was playing 18 and joined a twosome on #16.   One guy brought his mig welding helmet and it was pretty cool to see part of the eclipse.  Around here, it got dark like it was going to rain for a few minutes.   Then as usual, in Michigan, the perpetual clouds rolled in and stayed.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Went to Northern Missouri with my wife and son  We had some sun and clouds, but the 2 1/2 minutes of totality was incredible.  Kissed the wife during totality--it's supposed to be good luck.  Well worth the 2 hour drive even with clouds.  (My course was closed today because we got 3 inches of rain last night.  Couldn't have played golf anyway.)     

I ended up making a pretty nifty viewing box using a couple of 11x17 cardboard boxes taped together. It got cloudy basically right as the eclipse was happening, but you could still see it surprisingly clear with the box. Pretty impressive for something like 66%. (The viewing box, that is. The eclipse itself was meh.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Not really visible in SOCAL. I did look through a CD disk and it looked like a small sliver taken out, but not enough to make it any darker.  I do not remember when the last time a partial occured in San Diego, but I do recall going out into the courtyard at GMAC Mortgage  and it did look like twilight or dusk conditions. That was probably fifteen years ago or something like that.

Note: Looking directly at the sun through a CD disk, is not really recommended, but for a second or two, I think it was okay. Cover the center hole with a finger and look through the solid part of the disk. You can readily see the orb of the sun and not as blinding.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I was lucky to be in the Zone of Totality.

As the moon began to cover the sun, the temperature dropped noticeably and the wind picked up.. Next it became very quiet as the birds stopped chirping, and everything was bathed in this surreal "candelight" (something similar to an Instagram filter).  Suddenly the sun "flicked off" like a light switch and only a black orb surrounded by fire remained. This you could see with the naked eye. 

I guess I don't have the words.. It was very impressive, like a magic trick from David Copperfield. I can only imagine how the ancients might have felt without the aid of special glasses, to see the sun suddenly vanish...

I admit I was a bit cynical about the eclipse, but I now think it is something you should definitely see if you have the chance. I'm really glad we didn't rent out our house and go on vacation, like a lot of people did. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

Barely noticed anything here in Erie (I was on a golf course), and it was like 77 or 78%. Things looked a little "hazy" around the time of peak coverage, but that was about it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Steve

Note: This thread is 2406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!