IGNORED

Ditching 3w for 5w

Note: This thread is 2406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

Why not ditch the 3 wood and start hitting a 3hybrid. I personally switched to a 3 iron. Not as much distance but I'm much more confident in it. 

Hey, whatever works. Another option is a driving iron. A few years ago I built one with Hireko golf components. It was surprisingly easy to hit from good fairway lies, but I really didn't have a place for it in my bag so I went back to a hybrid which gave me more versatility. There's always a chance the driving iron could make a return appearance.

21 hours ago, David in FL said:

4-wood?  Meh....

I had a 2-wood waaaay back in the day. :-) 

Ah! So did I! The old Brassie! Tell me. Can you you show the difference between a niblick and a mashie niblick! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 hours ago, saevel25 said:

A good number of golfers need more loft anyways with their drivers and woods. They just don't produce the ball speed to keep the ball in the air long enough to max out their yardages. 

I easily see a 5 wood being more versatile and better for a lot of golfers.

A Golf Digest report from a few years back indicated the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably and sometimes longer than a 3W. It has a lot to do with lower clubhead speed.

I played 4W + 7W for several years. I recently picked up the Alpha 815 now set at 15* and 19* - high-launch weight setting works fairly well. Will do launch monitor in late Fall - may end up at 16* and 20*, which would basically be 4W + 7W again.

Edited by WUTiger
(spelling)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I pulled the 3w and replaced it with a 4w this season.  Significantly easier to hit and more reliable as well.  I am also not giving up any distance with it, I can't see myself going back anytime soon.

I ditched my 3i for a 5w. I hit it better, straighter, and within five yards of my 3i. 

I stay away from Hybrids because I seem to hit them all way too high, with too much spin, and my distances with long irons are far more consistent. 

Edited by Apoc81

Sunday evening my wife and I went to the driving range, she was using my 3 wood (RBZ) off a tee, next thing I know the 3 wood head is flying down the range. I dont totally blame her, it was a used club when I bought it and she wasnt taking huge divots or anything. 

Just ordered a M1 HL 3 wood, standard is 17 degrees and I can drop it down to 15 if I want. Probably will keep it at 17 to start with, and adjust my 3 hybrid to 19 degrees. So basically 4 wood and 3 hybrid for me. Cant wait until the M1 gets here in 2 days!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

11 minutes ago, klineka said:

Sunday evening my wife and I went to the driving range, she was using my 3 wood (RBZ) off a tee, next thing I know the 3 wood head is flying down the range. I dont totally blame her, it was a used club when I bought it and she wasnt taking huge divots or anything. 

Just ordered a M1 HL 3 wood, standard is 17 degrees and I can drop it down to 15 if I want. Probably will keep it at 17 to start with, and adjust my 3 hybrid to 19 degrees. So basically 4 wood and 3 hybrid for me. Cant wait until the M1 gets here in 2 days!

I totally would have thrown a fit and banked myself a get out jail free card for future ... :-P 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

Technically I ditched my 3W for a hybrid, but only because I already had a 5W.  The 3W, for me, does nothing as well as either driver or 5W.  If I need the distance, i use driver.  If I don't need the distance but more control, I use the 5.  The 3 isn't as long as the driver and not as controlled as the 5, so I never used it.  Plus there was a 25-30 yard gap between my 5W and 4i.  But as always, YMMV.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

22 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I totally would have thrown a fit and banked myself a get out jail free card for future ... :-P 

She's gonna give me a little cash for the M1 so no complaints from my end. Plus she just bought me my new putter as an early birthday gift, so I didnt want to push it:-)

It was funny though when she sent a picture of the club in 2 pieces to our friends, the first thing they asked was "How pissed is Kevin?" :-O

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

6 minutes ago, klineka said:

She's gonna give me a little cash for the M1 so no complaints from my end. Plus she just bought me my new putter as an early birthday gift, so I didnt want to push it:-)

It was funny though when she sent a picture of the club in 2 pieces to our friends, the first thing they asked was "How pissed is Kevin?" :-O

Congratulations on being married to a dream woman and having friends who totally get it..:beer: 

• Like 1

Vishal S.

59 minutes ago, klineka said:

Sunday evening my wife and I went to the driving range, she was using my 3 wood (RBZ) off a tee, next thing I know the 3 wood head is flying down the range.

"Well my instructor told me to release the clubhead through impact!"

• Like 3

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 8/6/2017 at 8:55 PM, WUTiger said:

I played 4W + 7W for several years. I recently picked up the Alpha 815 now set at 15* and 19* - high-launch weight setting works fairly well. Will do launch monitor in late Fall - may end up at 16* and 20*, which would basically be 4W + 7W again.

I didn't wait until Fall. Had a quick-fix lesson with my new instructor, and from what he said I went ahead and uplofted to 16* and 20*.

Launch monitor showed I hit my FWs with a -1* to -2* angle of attack, which is not exactly a sweep approach. He said other golfers hit down of FWs much like they do with irons, and should use higher lofts unless they have very high clubhead speed.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I did play a Callaway XR16 5 wd at 17 degrees - nice club - wanted more ease and versatility off the deck although I enjoyed it off deck and tee.

But a forum gave me the new Callaway Steelhead XR Fwy to keep and review to generate discussion, and  it was the 5 wd.  Fell in love. The deep face is great off the tee, it's 18 degrees and 42.5 inche, and it was giving me great distance with a piercing yet high mid to high flight and was consistent.

So ... I said why not try a 3 wd? I don't like to go 43 in, so at 42.5 in and 15 loft. I am more aggressive at impact now with confidence. Off the tee, it goes 220 carry on best contact. Was getting similar results off deck with a mid to high mid flight - I was happily surprised.

Will spend more time with this traditional 3, 5 setup. 5  will be more consistent and will stay in bag, but it also depend on the course that day and the set of tees I'm playing. The battle may be between the 7 wd and my 22 hybrid. Good luck. Steelheads ...

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On 8/5/2017 at 4:36 PM, Davie81 said:
Always struggled with my 3 wood off the deck and tee and today was the final straw.

Is there any benefit of switching it for a 5w and will this be easier to hit?

Me too.

To answer your question, yes to part one. The 5-wood is an inch shorter and has 3 to 4 more degrees of loft than a 3-wood. 

So a 5-wood will be easier to hit than a 3-wood.

I'm actually looking for a next to impossible lofted fairway wood to find. (I'll do an adjustable driver, but not a fairway wood).... And finding it in stiff is even harder lol.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I think I am going to take the 3 out of my bag also.  I am a senior also.  I am more apt to get a good hit with the 5 than the three and for me it is not that much difference in distance which isn't much anyway.  A good hit with my 5 wood is about 180 and not much farther with my 3.  If I take it out I won't be tempted to hit it.

On 8/6/2017 at 6:39 PM, wakefield724 said:

Why not ditch the 3 wood and start hitting a 3hybrid. I personally switched to a 3 iron. Not as much distance but I'm much more confident in it. 

I use a 3 hybrid (actually Mizuno calls it a DLR) that is easy to hit and don't even use my 5 wood much. Definitely no 3 wood.  I'm one of the many who can't hit one....Or at least I haven't found one I like.  - Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Note: This thread is 2406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!