IGNORED

Ditching 3w for 5w

Note: This thread is 2434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Always struggled with my 3 wood off the deck and tee and today was the final straw.

Is there any benefit of switching it for a 5w and will this be easier to hit?

A lot of amateurs find that not only is a 5-wood easier to hit, they hit it as far, or even farther than a 3-wood that the struggle with.

Give it a try!  :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Bechambo carries a 5 wood in place of his 3 wood (although I believe he has hit set to more of a 4 wood loft). Maybe he can comment as to why.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Yeah, I've been tempted at times.  If I'm swinging anything less than well, my 3-wood is often the first to go south.  I'm sometimes tempted to put my old 4-wood back into play too.

OP, what's the top of your bag like, both in terms of composition and distance?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

My 5 wood is much more reliable, off the deck, than my 3 wood.  The only time I'll play a 3 wood second is after a poor drive, on a long par 5, when I'm fortunate enough to catch a near perfect lie.  That circumstance is rare to the point of being non-existent.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Hmm this thread has me wanting to purchase a 5w to add to my bag. I only have 13 clubs right now and my thought prior to reading this was to go for a 60* wedge since my highest lofted club right now is a 56*. I think at this point I probably have more to gain from something like a 5w.

3 hours ago, Shindig said:

Yeah, I've been tempted at times.  If I'm swinging anything less than well, my 3-wood is often the first to go south.  I'm sometimes tempted to put my old 4-wood back into play t

OP, what's the top of your bag like, both in terms of composition and distance?

Damn Shindig! You actually remember 4 woods? You must be an old crap like me!

I don't want to get rid of my 3 wood, I hit it rather well! I want to get rid of my 1 hybrid. When I hit it right it's amazing, but that doesn't happen often enough to keep me happy! I figure a 5 wood might be the ticket.

3 wood off the deck.

I overswing so badly that I had to remove it from my bag.  

My playing partners told me my swing with three wood looks like crap off the deck.  Way quick.  Better for me to just get over that club.

A good number of golfers need more loft anyways with their drivers and woods. They just don't produce the ball speed to keep the ball in the air long enough to max out their yardages. 

I easily see a 5 wood being more versatile and better for a lot of golfers. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I don't want to get rid of my 3 wood, I hit it rather well! I want to get rid of my 1 hybrid. When I hit it right it's amazing, but that doesn't happen often enough to keep me happy! I figure a 5 wood might be the ticket.

4-wood?  Meh....

I had a 2-wood waaaay back in the day. :-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I'm old!  I'm like the cryptkeeper.  

I'm out of town for a few days for an extended weekend but I'll post some pictures of my 4-wood at some point if you'd like.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Shot a 92 teeing off with a 5-wood as a test. (My goal in 2017 is to break 90 on a regular basis so 92 is pretty good.) It was long enough and in the center of the fairway all day.  I also used the 5FW for several 2nd shots. My 3FW is iffy off the tee and off the fairway.

I WOULD like to find and try a 4FW, though. Once had a 5/4 persimmon which was a 4FW head and loft on a 5FW length shaft, and I just wore it out. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

16 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

I WOULD like to find and try a 4FW, though. Once had a 5/4 persimmon which was a 4FW head and loft on a 5FW length shaft, and I just wore it out. -Marv

Ping G400 Fairway 5 is 17.5 degrees;  that's closer to the loft of my 4-wood (17) than my or your 5-wood (19).

-- Michael | My swing! 

This thread is personally ironic. Now that my club championship is in the rear view, I'm going to try to get accustomed to hitting my newly added 3W in situations where i currently hit my old 5W. So far it appears the 3W is potentially worth 20 more yards with about 2x the dispersal. If the longer club can become nearly as reliable, that would be worth something.

Like many high handicappers I find the 5w easier to hit and control than my 3w. I carry a Cleveland  588 3w but mainly to hit off the tee on tight par 4s. My go-to 5w is an old TM burner with the stock Reax shaft in regular flex (very forgiving with a shallow face). I'm a senior who can't reach par 5s in two so I most often hit my 5w or Cleveland 588 hybrid for my second shot  , hopefully  leaving a short iron or wedge into the green. The guys I play with seem to be split 50-50 on the 5w vs 3w question. 

Note: This thread is 2434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!