IGNORED

Best Irons Ever!

r7 425
Note: This thread is 3531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Ping Eye 2's. Are they the best irons ever made. A lot of people say they are but i was wondering whats the best iron ever made in your opinion that will stand the test of time?

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

titleist dci's

i had the 962's - great club for all types of player.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

The Ping Eye 2's. Are they the best irons ever made. A lot of people say they are but i was wondering whats the best iron ever made in your opinion that will stand the test of time?

I think the Ping Eye and Ping Zing, revolutionized the whole golf game, not just irons.

Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

I agree with the Ping Eyes.

Simply amazing club.
In My Grom Stand Bag:

Driver:
Big Bertha 460 Graphite 10°
Woods: Big Bertha 3&5 Graphite
Hybrid: r7 Rescue 19° Irons: 06 Big Bertha #4-SWPutter: 35 in. Rossie Mallet *Soon to be Bettinardi C03H 34"Ball: ProV1x

I also agree with the ping eye 2's considering i use them.. they are amazing.. and i got mine for 150$ that was with shipping too.. they were practically brand new

driver - TM r7 425 10.5* Purple Ice Stiff
3 wood - TM r7 TP 15* reg. flex fij. vista pro
7 wood - Cally Big Bertha 21* proforce stiff
4 hybrid - TM Mid 22* reg. ultralight fij.5 hybrid - Nickent 3dx Ironwood 26* fij. banzia stiff irons - Ping eye 2+ 4, 6-pw kt-m stiff wedges - Ping tour 54*...

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I am not going to be too original here, as I too play the Eye 2 (BeCu Blue Dot). But I have to emphatically agree. They are the best irons ever, IMHO.

My first set of irons was an set of Ping Eye 2's that my Dad gave me. I played them for only a few years until one day, while goofing around w/ my neighbor, chipping tennis balls into an old bird bath of all things, his Dad ran over my golf bag, full of clubs. He drove an old tank-like station wagon and it destroyed them. Of course, that was that, my old man was ticked at me for leaving the bag in their driveway, and I suddenly wasn't responsible enough for another new set of clubs. So, I got a hand me down set of old Wilson's (which I hated) and soon my interest in golf fizzled out and was taken over by tennis, which I played through high school and college, until multiple ankle injuries stopped me from playing anything more than a casual match with my wife.

Fast forward to 2003 and my renewed interest, which is now a passion, for golf and the constant search for the "Best Irons Ever" which has been going on ever sense. I have now played Power Built's, Ping i3's, Big Bertha's, Cobra 3500's, Ping G2's, and even the recently released Titleist 775CB's. In between all of these sets, I had picked up an old set of Blue Dot Ping Eye 2 BeCu's on ebay, really just for a nostalgia for these old sticks. (I also bought a regular set of Blue Dot Eye 2 + that I recently sold to a buddy of mine ((big mistake)).

No matter how many different irons I try, I keep going back to these same clubs that I first started playing with when I was a kid. Just like my Scotty Cameron Putter, they are in my bag now and I doubt that they will ever be replaced. Drivers come and go, but these baby's are timeless. You can't go wrong with The Eye 2's, period.
In My Bags(s)... Main Set & Back Up Set

Driver: Rapture V2 9.o / G15 9.o (Stiff)
3 Wood: G15 15.5 / G10 15.o (Stiff)
5 Wood: G15 18.5 / G10 18.o (Stiff)Hybrid: G15 20.o / G10 21.o (Stiff)Irons & Wedges (4-L): Eye 2 +no+ / Eye 2 BeCu (Blue Dot / Stiff)Extra Wedge: 60.4 Satin Nickel Spin...

I had never hit a Ping iron until today. The range I went to had a huge selection of demo irons: Mizuno, Hogan, Cobra, Cleveland, Ping, MacGregor, Calloway and Nike. Most of them were available in both 5I and 6I.

I tried the Ping S59 and all is could say is "Oh my god." What a great club. Surprisingly, the only other club that I enjoyed hitting was a MacGregor M675. That club was pretty sweet, too.

As much as I love my Mizuno MP32s, I can see myself playing either of the two listed above.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

The original Hogan Apex forged irons were tops.
  • Upvote 2

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

PING Zings were garbage!!!

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

you guys ever heard of Miura Golf?

Titleist 905R 460CC Driver Fujikura Stiff 8.5
Titleist PT15* 3 Wood Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist 980F 19* 5 Wood Titleist Regular
Miura Forged Baby Blades 3-PW NS Pro Stiff
Miura Forged 56* Sand WedgeTitleist Vokey 60* Lob WedgeTitleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design Newport 35"Nike One Platinum...

Anything that starts with P I N G

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

taylormade,taylormade,taylormade,taylormade,taylormade
i honestly really liked the taylormade bubble shafts but what a pain to get grips for them.
whats in my bag
Driver: Superquad 8.5 LOVE THIS CLUB
woods: R7 TP 3 wood
Hybrids: Burner 3
Irons: XD BurnersWedges:Vokey Spin Milled 56Putter: G5 ZINGBall:TP Black

Ping Eye2's, name any other iron that was manufactured almost 20 years ago that still has the following even close to Eye2's. By far the best iron ever.

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

I've never been a Ping guy but they are the mold of just about every cavity back iron ever made as well as most putters.

No chrome, no milling, nothing fancy but they hold value and people buy new ping stuff sight unseen

The anser and the zing, every manufacturer has a knock off.

Karsten was a visionary.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

I've only purchased 3 sets of 'real' irons over the past 18-20 years.
Ping Eye2
Ping I3 O-size
Ping I10, which I took delivery on last Thursday. Two days ago I shot my lowest round ever at my home course thanks mostly to accurate iron play (76 is not bad for a 8.4 CI). I'm still in love with the PINGs.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Yeah the Eye 2's are good but Titleist DCI 962's are simply awesome.

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Titleist DCI 962's are a lovely club - got my handicap down from 24 to 5.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

• 3 years later...

For my money in my opinion the best irons are the Miura 1957 blades.  Period.  Forge and pressed in Hemiji

If you have ever played these blades or play them now you will know why and what I am a saying here.  If not and you are a good iron player you may wish to have a set built up for you.  You will not be disappointed.  These are simply the best irons you can put in your hands.  If you like blades do your self a favor - you really should check these out.

Alot of players on tour have him forge and grind up sets for them even though they may officialy "play" titleiest or nike or taylormade or whatever there are a lot of custom made miruras on tour.  If you ever play a round with these irons you'll get it.

I have played just about every iron one can purchase here in the US (that means produced in China) but the Japanese irons are just so superior.  Most irons sold in the US are produced in China and the China quality is well China quality....don't get caught up in the name of the iron get caught up the in quality of the iron.

Note: This thread is 3531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!