Jump to content
Note: This thread is 1436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Hello Sand Trap World,

I have been having issues with my bag setup, and am looking for a bit of advice regarding the gap between my driver and my 3 iron. I recently purchased a 3-P set of AP2s, and love them, and I previously gamed a ping G2 set 2-PW. Since they don't make an AP2 2-iron, and the set is a mite shorter than my old G2s,  I am left with an open spot in my bag (I carry 3 wedges 52*, 56*,60*), and a big yardage hole between my driver and my irons. I can hit my driver about 310 yards, and can lay off it to about 275 before it starts to launch uncomfortably low. I hit my old 2 iron about 250, so this gap worked out great, and I could avoid hitting fairway metals. However, my new 3 iron is a 220 yard club. Is there a new hybrid that plays like an iron I could put in this slot, does anyone have experience with the Titleist T-MB 2 iron? I'm thinking that may be a good compromise. Any advice would be great! 

Thanks, 

JR

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a certain reason you are against fairway woods? That seems like the perfect spot for a 15-17 degree fairway wood, either a 3 wood or 5 wood since the 3 iron is 21 degrees. 

Typically you would have much more forgiveness with a fairway wood than you would with a 2 iron

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, klineka said:

Is there a certain reason you are against fairway woods? That seems like the perfect spot for a 15-17 degree fairway wood, either a 3 wood or 5 wood since the 3 iron is 21 degrees. 

Typically you would have much more forgiveness with a fairway wood than you would with a 2 iron

I have always had trouble with fairway woods. Since I play in KS, and wind is almost always a big factor, I play a very low ball flight, and it keeps me out of trouble. Although 2-irons are unforgiving, when they are mishit it is generally short. I'm also relatively long, so they either only get hit off the tee, or on longer par 5s. So, with a 2 iron, instead of being high and in the prairie grass on a poorly struck ball, I generally get an unintended layup. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, JRanderson32 said:

IHowever, my new 3 iron is a 220 yard club. Is there a new hybrid that plays like an iron I could put in this slot, does anyone have experience with the Titleist T-MB 2 iron? I'm thinking that may be a good compromise. Any advice would be great! 

Any of the cross-over type irons would work. I found the Ping Crossover to be a beast. It's a great replacement for those who like irons more than hybrids.

https://www.ping.com/clubs/crossovers.aspx

You might have to live with a big gap between your driver and irons. If you struggle with hybrids and fairway woods then you might be stuck if you do not like the more driving iron type clubs.

In the end, the longer hitters will have a larger gap. I have about 70-80 yards between my driver and my 3-iron. Yet, I love my Titleist hybrid and I have a 3-wood as well. I ask this, how often do you really use that 3 iron on the course? With your distance you should have to worry about hitting a hybrid or fairway wood much. 99% of the time I hit my 3-wood off the tee only.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

 

On 8/7/2017 at 8:05 PM, JRanderson32 said:

Hello Sand Trap World,

I have been having issues with my bag setup, and am looking for a bit of advice regarding the gap between my driver and my 3 iron. I recently purchased a 3-P set of AP2s, and love them, and I previously gamed a ping G2 set 2-PW. Since they don't make an AP2 2-iron, and the set is a mite shorter than my old G2s,  I am left with an open spot in my bag (I carry 3 wedges 52*, 56*,60*), and a big yardage hole between my driver and my irons. I can hit my driver about 310 yards, and can lay off it to about 275 before it starts to launch uncomfortably low. I hit my old 2 iron about 250, so this gap worked out great, and I could avoid hitting fairway metals. However, my new 3 iron is a 220 yard club. Is there a new hybrid that plays like an iron I could put in this slot, does anyone have experience with the Titleist T-MB 2 iron? I'm thinking that may be a good compromise. Any advice would be great! 

Thanks, 

JR

 

I got the t-mb 716 to fill the gap between my 3 and driver. Not a big fan of fairway metals either. 

The weighting on it is very different atleast compared to my King tec 3 iron. Swing weight is different and cg is a tad higher, based on feel. Probably something you can get used to but it hasnt been a seamless fit to my existing set.

I used lead tape to get the swingweight up to match the rest of my set but cant do much about the cg. I would imagine it could be a better fit into a Titleist set?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2017 at 6:22 AM, saevel25 said:

Any of the cross-over type irons would work. I found the Ping Crossover to be a beast. It's a great replacement for those who like irons more than hybrids.

https://www.ping.com/clubs/crossovers.aspx

You might have to live with a big gap between your driver and irons. If you struggle with hybrids and fairway woods then you might be stuck if you do not like the more driving iron type clubs.

In the end, the longer hitters will have a larger gap. I have about 70-80 yards between my driver and my 3-iron. Yet, I love my Titleist hybrid and I have a 3-wood as well. I ask this, how often do you really use that 3 iron on the course? With your distance you should have to worry about hitting a hybrid or fairway wood much. 99% of the time I hit my 3-wood off the tee only.

I actually use my 3-iron a lot, but not necessarily because of its yardage, but I will frequently knock it down in windy situations. Also, The course I play has 2 fairway splits with a creek around the 240-270 mark, and a few short par 4s that make the 3 iron a smart play off the tee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 1436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • My goodness, you aren't kidding. For those who don't see the article for whatever reason:  there's a list of the top 25 fastest times ever recorded in the women's 1,500 meter freestyle swim.  Katie Ledecky owns spots 1-13, and also spots 15, 17, 18, 22, and 25.   The closest thing to that I can think of offhand is in threes.  Tiger Woods owns the top three season-long strokes gained: approach ever recorded (granted, these have only been recorded in, I believe, the Shotlink era), and at one point (up until a few years ago), Kurt Warner threw the most yards ever in a Super Bowl, but was also in second and third place on that list. 
    • Day 155.  Quarantine practice plan, day 11.  I really like this drill and I plan to incorporate it into my practices on a regular basis.  I took video but it's still on my phone, I will likely put it in the relevant thread tomorrow afternoon. 
    • Day 28: Long day at work, so not much time left for golf practice today. Managed some work on downswing priority piece, hit 10 balls, 7-iron, lots of rehearsals between shots. 
    • Day 65, July 29, 2021: More three-quarters swing work.
    • It is also acceptable to take relief again, if necessary, from the same cart path for the shot now contemplated.  A common example: cart path is near a boundary object (OB fence) on the left. A right-handed player may take relief for a left-handed shot that has them standing on the cart path and the NPCR for the left handed shot is to the right of the cart path. After taking relief, the player may decide to hit a right-handed shot. But, now standing on the cart path for the right-handed shot, may take relief further to the right of the cart path to allow that shot.  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. amgolfer
      amgolfer
      (37 years old)
    2. At least 7 handi-andy
      At least 7 handi-andy
      (30 years old)
    3. MSDOGS1976
      MSDOGS1976
      (67 years old)
    4. Rob Lane
      Rob Lane
      (62 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...