IGNORED

2017 PGA Championship at Quail Hollow Discussion Thread

b101
Note: This thread is 2435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What horrible thing did I do in a prior life that I'm now having to listen to Micheal Breed as an analyst?  Ugh!   :~(

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, David in FL said:

What horrible thing did I do in a prior life that I'm now having to listen to Micheal Breed as an analyst?  Ugh!   :~(

LET'S DO THIS!!!

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

11 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Lol.  I had to turn it off anyway just before he came on...just my luck.  Breed is ok in moderation...small, small doses.  :-)

I like what I see so far.  Course looks fair but difficult with the greens a bit firmer and faster than you normally see in a PGA Championship.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

18 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

The "Green Mile" thing is already annoying. 

Agreed. It doesn't even seem that long or special... IMO, this is.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

1 hour ago, JetFan1983 said:

The "Green Mile" thing is already annoying. 

Yup

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

42 minutes ago, skydog said:

Phil's game is definitely starting to look his age. Kind of sad, but I think his 'window' is probably shut.

I agree. He looks so late with the driver...

Colin P.

The big problem with the PGA Championship, with the exception of the bigger technology package, is that it often feels less like a major than an extended version of the Quicken Loans National. The PGA Championship has a great field – arguably the best of the year – but its stature is lessened by the way it is presented on TV. It’s difficult for a tournament to feel like a major when the network has a commercial break after every four or five shots.

http://golfweek.com/2017/08/10/tv-blog-cbs-technology-carries-the-day-except-when-it-doesnt/

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just catching up on broadcast from earlier today.  IBF says the greens are difficult to read.

:hmm:

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

4 hours ago, skydog said:

Phil's game is definitely starting to look his age. Kind of sad, but I think his 'window' is probably shut.

Agree. Seems Phil can still have good ball striking ...but just seems he makes so many bogeys. Even when he gets hot...he neutralizes it with bogeys.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

9 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Just catching up on broadcast from earlier today.  IBF says the greens are difficult to read.

I'll speak from experience here...not at Quail Hollow mind you.  Those types of greens (Champion Bermuda), I have found, are sometimes not easy to read.  They've put that strain of grass in a few places down here and it's really, really nice and you can speed the greens up in the summer which you can't do down south with bent without risk of damaging the greens.  Problem is that subtle breaks are hard to read.  Those 5-12 footers that look straight or might have a slight bit of turn are difficult.  Sometimes I'd rather have one that had more, and obvious, break.

• Like 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

9 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Not sure about that, but a number of players look like they're really afraid of some of the downhill putts - there were way more :hmm: moments with putts than I think I've ever seen in a round with people missing six footers by about a foot wide...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

I'll speak from experience here...not at Quail Hollow mind you.  Those types of greens (Champion Bermuda), I have found, are sometimes not easy to read.  They've put that strain of grass in a few places down here and it's really, really nice and you can speed the greens up in the summer which you can't do down south with bent without risk of damaging the greens.  Problem is that subtle breaks are hard to read.  Those 5-12 footers that look straight or might have a slight bit of turn are difficult.  Sometimes I'd rather have one that had more, and obvious, break.

I don't think it's the grass. All very subtly almost flat greens are hard to read.

At higher stimps that is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think it's the grass. All very subtly almost flat greens are hard to read.

At higher stimps that is.

Agreed.  Your point is valid...but my experience in the past few years tells me they are harder to read.  I struggled at #2 and a couple other courses with this grass.  It might be that it looks a lot different and it throws me off.

Would favor someone doing AimPoint.  ;-)

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 2435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!