• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
b101

2017 PGA Championship at Quail Hollow Discussion Thread

GolfLug    290

So I am going to root for Louis Oosty. A Louis win will bring me a box of Snells so I am a bit biased... :-)). Having said that a JT or KK win will not break my heart at all. 

I was listening to a discussion on GC last night with Chamblee, Duvall and Nobilo talking about parity in golf and set ups like this reduce the chances of having a stars heavy leader board. They compared it to how tennis majors almost always get treated much more by presence of Federer, Nadal, .. etc. on the weekends. I am not sure I have an opinion. Its always enjoyable to see a good grind regardless of who it comes from but good arguments on both sides of the coin.    

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

Is Kevin Kisner chewing? What a doofus

It looked like every time CBS did a shot of Kisner waiting around, he was in the process of dropping one big, slow loogie. What is it with these guys that have to spit all the time?I know that Tiger did on occasion, and Sergio made a mess out of one hole a few years ago. Do they have some sort of disease or is this just a disgusting habit they can't get rid of?

iacas    4,067
2 minutes ago, Archie Bunker said:

It looked like every time CBS did a shot of Kisner waiting around, he was in the process of dropping one big, slow loogie. What is it with these guys that have to spit all the time?I know that Tiger did on occasion, and Sergio made a mess out of one hole a few years ago. Do they have some sort of disease or is this just a disgusting habit they can't get rid of?

Kisner chews, hence the abundant spitting.

Tiger has allergies.

Sergio was being a douche.

David in FL    1,468
1 hour ago, iacas said:

Don't use the wifi. Use your phone.

I'm at @NatalieB's Drive, Chip, and Putt Sub-Regional today. She doesn't even "play" until 1:30, and it's over two hours away, so hopefully I'll get to see the back nine. :-)

Let us hear how @NatalieB does.  It'd be interesting to hear how the qualifiers are structured too.  Either in her thread, or maybe the tournament play thread...?   Wish her luck!

Jack Watson    86

I'll watch but with this leaderboard my only hope is to see a winner who charges from a couple back as the leaders disintegrate.

I think it might be a case of which player leaks the least oil coming in but I hope not.  I wanna see a player step up and win the thing.  Pins look tough.  

Surprised they didn't offer more accessible pins to provide perhaps more drama.

Edited by Jack Watson

FinTurma    17

Looks sometimes like Stroud is anchoring his putter.. I must be wrong though..

Chris223    28
4 minutes ago, FinTurma said:

Looks sometimes like Stroud is anchoring his putter.. I must be wrong though..

The putter brushing against your shirt is not considered anchoring

Hardspoon    436

More on the rules situation with Poulter this morning:

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/08/13/ian-poulter-official-during-rules-disagreement-you-absolutely-got-be-kidding-me

I think they made the right call in the end, given the witness and the shape of the hazard.

Hardspoon    436

Also...not to keep harping on poor announcing, but not every bad shot on a Sunday is because of "nerves" or "pressure" or a player "getting tight." So annoying.

jamo    697

Liking the run by Rickie, but I think it's too little, too late. Pretty typical for him, unfortunately. 

I'll take Hideki, not that that's going out on a ledge. 

Chilli Dipper    230
5 minutes ago, jamo said:

Liking the run by Rickie, but I think it's too little, too late. Pretty typical for him, unfortunately. 

I'll take Hideki, not that that's going out on a ledge. 

It's going to come down to who avoids blowing up on the Green Mile, but the winner is going to reach at least 6-under. Rickie's not getting that close.

I expect Matsuyama is going to take control, but if he doesn't, my dark horse is Francesco Molinari.

Edited by Chilli Dipper

b101    152
36 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Also...not to keep harping on poor announcing, but not every bad shot on a Sunday is because of "nerves" or "pressure" or a player "getting tight." So annoying.

Honestly, it won't be as bad as ours. The BBC have got the rights back from Sky for the PGA and it's creating quite a debate here - the coverage from Sky is light years ahead, but the BBC is free coverage and therefore will reach more people. However, the BBC commentary team has an average age of 67 and it's just abysmal. Ken Brown is decent and knows his stuff, but his on-course segments are seriously limited. We basically just hear Alliss moan about people wearing collarless shirts, having weird-shaped putters and not knowing who people are.

As a happy aside, I really enjoyed the Justin Thomas putt eventually dropping! Good work from AimPoint - eventually.

22 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

It's going to come down to who avoids blowing up on the Green Mile, but the winner is going to reach at least 6-under. Rickie's not getting that close.

I expect Matsuyama is going to take control, but if he doesn't, my dark horse is Francesco Molinari.

You were saying? 5 under is not looking bad right now.

Chilli Dipper    230
14 minutes ago, b101 said:

You were saying? 5 under is not looking bad right now.

There's a five-way tie for the lead at 7-under, and four of them still have 14 and 15 to play. They aren't all going to drop two or more strokes coming in.

b101    152
1 minute ago, Chilli Dipper said:

There's a five-way tie for the lead at 7-under, and four of them still have 14 and 15 to play. They aren't all going to drop two or more strokes coming in.

Fair point - hadn't seen how many were at 7 under! It's really moved on in the last hour or so.

jamo    697

Not a very timely flub there by Hideki. Oof.

Chilli Dipper    230
1 minute ago, b101 said:

Fair point - hadn't seen how many were at 7 under! It's really moved on in the last hour or so.

Of course, I say that, and three of the leaders immediately make bogey, and Molinari short-sides himself on 16.