IGNORED

TaylorMade M2 Iron Face Slots Chipping

Note: This thread is 2141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I did a search and didn't see anything posted about this, but I wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue.

As you can see in the pictures, my 5 Iron has a chip in the outside face slot and my 6 Iron, a little less noticeable, has is starting to pop our and crack.

I'm going to be contacting TaylorMade regarding this, but I'm concerned that they will just send me two new heads that will do the same thing.  I've read that people have upgraded to the 770's with a few hundred dollar up-charge, but I can't do that right now and also there is no way I can hit that club.

I got the M2's because they are game improvement and now looking at it, I don't know why they would put that in there.  The people these clubs are geared towards, seems they like me, would have issues with striking the center on a consistent basis.

Just curious on everyone else thoughts or experiences.  I have the whole M2 line from AW-4I, Rescue, 3 Wood and Driver.  I love them, but this is concerning

5 Iron

20170809_190131.thumb.jpg.ab83fcaeab0b9400c61f54bac952df3b.jpg

6I

20170809_190229.thumb.jpg.123627db99e307e185cf527ded0679d3.jpg

Edited by Rsuslow

I believe that's just whatever polymer they used to fill the face slot cracking and flaking off. It's softer than steel and not as durable. I had the same issue in a couple of clubs in my RSi 2s.

I don't believe it will affect performance. TM's promotional department claims the TPE is specially engineered for performance or whatever but honestly I think it just serves to fill the face slot so they don't get clumped with dirt and debris.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...

I have a set of M2 irons I got last fall and almost immediately had the polymer slot insert in the 5 iron crack.  I now have issues with both the 6 and 7 iron where the face is actually collapsing.  I have seen similar issues posted.  I have yet to try contact TM for a solution. but will post further info when I get it.. Picture is 6 iron face.

IMG_0553.JPG

1 hour ago, far-north mike said:

I have a set of M2 irons I got last fall and almost immediately had the polymer slot insert in the 5 iron crack.  I now have issues with both the 6 and 7 iron where the face is actually collapsing.  I have seen similar issues posted.  I have yet to try contact TM for a solution. but will post further info when I get it.. Picture is 6 iron face.

IMG_0553.JPG

Go to a hardware store and buy some black Sikaflex sealant. Mask up outside the slots and away you go. It will solve your problem.

sika-sikaflex-221-black-300-ml_431x431.jpg

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• iacas changed the title to TaylorMade M2 Iron Face Slots Chipping
Note: This thread is 2141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!