• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.

I have some extra money and getting some more, and i was curious what i should spend the extra money on amd work on it from there. My irons game, and wedges are the best part of my game. My clubs are

R5 draw driver

No fairway woods

3-w ping eye 2 

X series 56 degree wedge 

Blade Ping putter from 1990

MarvChamp    21

I am a high handicapper, so FWIW...I would check on whether you need to fill gaps between PW and 56 degree SW; and between 3 or 4 irons and driver. being honest about how well and how accurately you hit 3 and 4 irons. A gap wedge and 1 or more hybrids might be nice?

Best to you, -Marv

WUTiger    435

Welcome to TST!

First, a few questions:

• What is your HDCP index?
  • How long have you been playing golf?
  • Do you take lessons, or are your self-taught?

I would suggest you get a fitting and whether your drive is what you need. Also, adding fairway woods and a hybrid or two might help your game.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

MarvChamp    21

Hi Dude27...I wanted to add that I didn't mention replacing irons. I think a lot of folks will say the Ping Eye 2's are favorites. But a good suggestion is to get on a launch monitor for swing speed, etc. And find out if the shafts suit you. Meaning please see a professional fitter as WUTiger says before you consider anything I say. Good luck with it! Have fun with it! -Marv

chilepepper    92

I'd look into a fwy wood given your 3i distance. What's your driver distance?

onthehunt526    84

@Hockeydude27

I agree with the look into a fairway wood (or two) notion. 

I would upgrade your wedges. The nice thing with Eye2 irons is you don't need 3 extra wedges beside the pitching wedge. Hell, your Wedge (50.5°) has more loft than my Approach wedge (48°, though mine is bent 2° strong). 

You don't necessarily need to get the newest wedges either. You can find clearance models of Cleveland RTX etc for around $80 some are even a little cheaper. 

And who said I only talk about Exotics?

Piz    127

I'd go with a 5 wood and see if it's useful.  There are plenty of them out there for cheap...so it needn't be an expensive experiment.

chilepepper    92
49 minutes ago, Hockeydude27 said:

Usually around 240

You've got a 60 yard gap Between 3i and driver. I'd be looking for a fwy wood that works for you

Edited by chilepepper

bm85    32

I really like to have a hybrid in the bag. Just a good long range club that is easy to hit.

WUTiger    435
On 8/13/2017 at 1:39 PM, Piz said:

I'd go with a 5 wood and see if it's useful.  There are plenty of them out there for cheap...so it needn't be an expensive experiment.

If you are planning on keeping the Eye2 irons for a while, I would say pick up a used 4W and 3H; see if the 3Hybrid flies longer than your current 3i.

A good golf shop will let you test out used clubs on the launch monitor. If you go with 4W and 3H in the short run, you will get plenty of practice hitting them and can decide later what FW-H mix you want.

If you're going for overall replacement, consider finding a better driver and irons; from there, fill in FWs and hybrids to fill the driver-long iron gap.