IGNORED

Ten finger grip - amazing

Note: This thread is 2359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just wanted to share. I've been playing for about six years. I'm a bogey golfer. All this time I've been using an interlock grip. (The overlap grip is very uncomfortable for me). Last night I was reading several articles about the  ten finger grip  and why it is not as terrible as many people think. Today I decided to try it and went to play nine holes. I went straight to the tee, no practice balls. My first drive was a great drive, then my iron shots were better than ever. To make a long story short, I shot a 38, my best score ever for nine holes (five pars, three bogeys and a birdie). The ten finger grip (not to be confused with the baseball grip) gave me more control and power. The fact that I hit balls so well without practicing  first tells me that is the grip that is natural for me. Why didn't I try it before???

Question, why is the ten finger grip demonized so much?

Just to clarify, when I say ten finger grip I mean the grip with my left hand is exactly as before, a traditional left hand golf grip. The difference is in the right hand, all five fingers on the club and my left thumb under my right palm crease.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, arturo28mx said:

Just to clarify, when I say ten finger grip I mean the grip with my left hand is exactly as before, a traditional left hand golf grip. The difference is in the right hand, all five fingers on the club and my left thumb under my right palm crease.

Probably because you have golfing legends like Jack who used the interlocking grip. Vardon created the overlapping grip. Probably more so to do with the best golfers using primarily those two style of grips.

I'm not sure of the negatives on using a non-overlapping/interlocking grip. Maybe it has a small tendency to cause more of a flipping action.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, arturo28mx said:

Just wanted to share. I've been playing for about six years. I'm a bogey golfer. All this time I've been using an interlock grip. (The overlap grip is very uncomfortable for me). Last night I was reading several articles about the  ten finger grip  and why it is not as terrible as many people think. Today I decided to try it and went to play nine holes. I went straight to the tee, no practice balls. My first drive was a great drive, then my iron shots were better than ever. To make a long story short, I shot a 38, my best score ever for nine holes (five pars, three bogeys and a birdie). The ten finger grip (not to be confused with the baseball grip) gave me more control and power. The fact that I hit balls so well without practicing  first tells me that is the grip that is natural for me. Why didn't I try it before???

@arturo28mx Although it is certainly kind of you to share this experience with us, I'm afraid to tell you it's very unlikely to be a Eureka moment. The golf gods simply do not allow such things to last. That's just the way it is. Soon, you will go to play 9, or 18 holes and it will fall apart for you. The ten finger grip will be put away on your mental back shelf, only to be brought out again in times of desperation. I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you. It just needed to be done until it got too far. I wish you all the best.

• Informative 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

@arturo28mx Although it is certainly kind of you to share this experience with us, I'm afraid to tell you it's very unlikely to be a Eureka moment. The golf gods simply do not allow such things to last. That's just the way it is. Soon, you will go to play 9, or 18 holes and it will fall apart for you. The ten finger grip will be put away on your mental back shelf, only to be brought out again in times of desperation. I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you. It just needed to be done until it got too far. I wish you all the best.

Now you're going to tell me that Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy aren't real too?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

10 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

He likely would have been fine had he not posted his success.  It's that kind of arrogance that the golf gods simply can't abide. ;-) 

• Funny 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just now, David in FL said:

He likely would have been fine had he not posted his success.  It's that kind of arrogance that the golf gods simply can't abide. ;-) 

Certainly adds fuel to the fire. Yeah, poor guy......just a shame to see these kinds of things happen to a most certainly nice guy. Just a shame...

• Upvote 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

25 minutes ago, David in FL said:

It's that kind of arrogance that the golf gods simply can't abide. ;-) 

There are times when the game seems easier and the next day it has completely disappeared.  I've irritated the golf gods several times and learned....don't!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I don't think it has much to do with any deities, but I think when it comes to changes like this there is a "honeymoon" period that lasts for a little while during which your brain is hyper-vigilant for the first few uses which generally ceases after a certain period of time. It's a pretty common occurrence among quite a few things.

Not to say that the 10 finger grip is bad by means, but I doubt it is some miracle solution.

30 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

I don't think it has much to do with any deities, but I think when it comes to changes like this there is a "honeymoon" period that lasts for a little while during which your brain is hyper-vigilant for the first few uses which generally ceases after a certain period of time. It's a pretty common occurrence among quite a few things.

Not to say that the 10 finger grip is bad by means, but I doubt it is some miracle solution.

a lot of us have had a myriad of those aha, or Eureka moments. Ten finger, split-grip or whatever.  And, they do in fact seem to work splendidly,  for a time and for the reason(s) mentioned. The thing you rarely hear about is the aftermath from these same people after the moment(s) have passed. This does not mean one should totally disregard these discoveries, for they are sometimes very helpful to fall back on in times of need. They are a kind of "short-circuit" when repetition of a particular habit creeps back into a swing and allows for one to regain the basic fundamentals and mechanics which have proven successful in the long run. The one danger is however, that this temporary "band-aid" masks a flaw that needs to be overcome. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

It is actually very easy to groove a perfect golf swing...heck, I have done so dozens of times!  They all worked! at least once.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

2 hours ago, Hacker James said:

I don't think it has much to do with any deities,

Now Schwartz committed a slight breach of social etiquette....

LOL! Man going back and reading the OP...then all the posts....we're just a bunch of cynical old bastards....golf is hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Now Schwartz committed a slight breach of social etiquette....

LOL! Man going back and reading the OP...then all the posts....we're just a bunch of cynical old bastards....golf is hard.

don't  attribute someone else's posts to me. I get into enough trouble on my own.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

12 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

don't  attribute someone else's posts to me. I get into enough trouble on my own.

Yeah not sure how that happened...I meant to quote @Grizvok

Just now, Vinsk said:

Yeah not sure how that happened...I meant to quote @Grizvok

ha ha...thought as much...the reference to "Schwartz" threw me.

"James"

18 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

Here's my theory on this. Most kids learn to swing a baseball bat before they learn to swing a golf club. They take the ten finger grip from baseball and use while swinging a golf club. But the problem is that there are significant differences between how to grip a baseball bat and a golf club, and it can be hard to get some people to change their grip without changing to a Vardon grip or interlocking grip.

That's actually why I changed from a ten finger grip to a Vardon grip. I would default to doing what's comfortable with the ten finger, even though I knew I needed to change it. Going to a different grip entirely solved that problem.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

33 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Here's my theory on this. Most kids learn to swing a baseball bat before they learn to swing a golf club. They take the ten finger grip from baseball and use while swinging a golf club. But the problem is that there are significant differences between how to grip a baseball bat and a golf club, and it can be hard to get some people to change their grip without changing to a Vardon grip or interlocking grip.

That's actually why I changed from a ten finger grip to a Vardon grip. I would default to doing what's comfortable with the ten finger, even though I knew I needed to change it. Going to a different grip entirely solved that problem.

Decent hypothesis I think (sorry for the word change...gotta do it). This is also why I'm probably screwed. I actually swung a golf club (with any sense of coordination and intent) before a baseball bat. That, and I do many things left handed, other things right handed. I have no dominant hand. I'm just a side-show of coordination.

I was talking to my son's high school golf coach last night. He grabbed a club to show me something he thought might help and I was surprised to see he uses the ten finger grip. He shoots in the low to mid single digits.

@arturo28mx, please let us know if the success continues.

On 8/16/2017 at 5:03 PM, dennyjones said:

There are times when the game seems easier and the next day it has completely disappeared.  I've irritated the golf gods several times and learned....don't!

You guys know what I think of the golf gods. They're a bunch of a-holes and can go... well, you know.

And no... the coincidence that have no respect for those #!$@heads and that I play the way I do hasn't gone unnoticed.

• Like 1

Jon

Note: This thread is 2359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!