IGNORED

Neither Rory Nor JDay Will Win Another Major

Seals
Note: This thread is 2393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rory and JDay  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rory and JDay win another major?

• Yes, one or both of them will win another major (post-2017)
    • No, neither will win another major

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

This may happen. But it isn't an absolute.

You are correct. That is shown in my statement by saying, "pretty sure", it means that there is still uncertainty there. My opinion can change with evidence.

Unlike your statement, "Danny was a pure fluke and will never contend in a Major again." This is you stating what you think is a fact, something you think is uncontestable. The guy might end up winning an Open championship. That tournament has a history of giving majors to golfers who you never think would win one. Look at Ben Crane. You could easily say, "Ben Crane will never win a major championship." Well the guy outlasted everyone else at the Open.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, saevel25 said:

You are correct. That is shown in my statement by saying, "pretty sure", it means that there is still uncertainty there. My opinion can change with evidence.

Unlike your statement, "Danny was a pure fluke and will never contend in a Major again." This is you stating what you think is a fact, something you think is uncontestable. The guy might end up winning an Open championship. That tournament has a history of giving majors to golfers who you never think would win one. Look at Ben Crane. You could easily say, "Ben Crane will never win a major championship." Well the guy outlasted everyone else at the Open.

Danny Willet will never contend in a major again.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Danny Willet will never contend in a major again.

Yes you already said that. Thanks for clarification. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Rory will win plenty if he can figure out how to putt.  Watching him on the putting green is like playing with my friends on our weekend round.  He never seems to make any over 10 feet and misses so many that are in the 6 foot range.  

1 hour ago, Nutsmacker said:

Rory will win plenty if he can figure out how to putt.  Watching him on the putting green is like playing with my friends on our weekend round.  He never seems to make any over 10 feet and misses so many that are in the 6 foot range.  

It's not his putting. He needs his approach shots to be better so he has shorter putts. 

- Shane

9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Yes you already said that. Thanks for clarification. 

If he says it three times, like Beetlegeuse, Willett will win the Masters again! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

34 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

If he says it three times, like Beetlegeuse, Willett will win the Masters again! :-P

Lol. Yeah ...not sure why...I'm just not too big on Willet (obviously). I do agree that maybe Rory's lay it on the line and speak freely attitude (opposite of Spieth) just gives the appearance of less care. Rory is way too talented and young to not win more Majors.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's not his putting. He needs his approach shots to be better so he has shorter putts. 

Well, from what I have seen his putting needs a lot of improvement also.  He is not in the same league as Spieth on the greens. 

On 8/16/2017 at 10:08 PM, Seals said:

Rory hasn't contended in a major for 3 years now. And it looks like he doesn't care about golf now. I think Jday was an average player that had a hot streak and has cooled off to be an average golfer. Crazier things have happened.

Why did you post this bit of vague, crystal-ball gazing stuff? Did you hope someone would jump in and prove your point? You certainly failed to offer any convincing evidence to support your thread headline.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

18 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Why did you post this bit of vague, crystal-ball gazing stuff? Did you hope someone would jump in and prove your point? You certainly failed to offer any convincing evidence to support your thread headline.

On 8/17/2017 at 0:49 AM, mvmac said:

Gotta disagree. Rory and Day are great players with a lot of years and majors ahead of them. Rory is too good not to give himself at least a few more realistic chances at winning another one.

Not exactly.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.44.41 PM.png

Well, I think it may be because @mvmac pretty much finished it.

I'm not sure why someone would actively predict bad outcomes for any player no matter what. They seem more likely to win another major than most touring pros, time will tell. I wish them all the best along with their fellow pros.

Edited by Midpack

12 minutes ago, Midpack said:

I'm not sure why someone would actively predict bad outcomes for any player no matter what. They seem more likely to win another major than most touring pros, time will tell. I wish them all the best along with their fellow pros.

Thanks Spieth.

1 hour ago, Nutsmacker said:

Well, from what I have seen his putting needs a lot of improvement also.  He is not in the same league as Spieth on the greens. 

The best way to improve your putting is to give yourself shorter putts. ;-)

• Like 1

- Shane

20 hours ago, RWalker84 said:

Believe it or not but I actually think Day has a better chance at winning a major again than Rory.  Rory just seems disinterested in playing golf when I watch him

Totally agree. He seems excited about 'shutting it down' for the remainder of the year.

One prevailing thought is that athletes who have the drive/work ethic to get to the top of their sport don't have it in their DNA to get lazy and lose that drive....although that is probably the case with most top athletes, it doesn't seem to be the case with Rory IMO. He'll of course say otherwise, but I'm not buying it.

On 8/23/2017 at 11:54 PM, Seals said:

Tell me then, did you predict that Tiger wouldn't have a major after 2008? I bet statistics said he would. It is not silly. Bold predictions occur because someone went out on a limb. If everything was based on stats, then they would be no human aspect to it. 

Of course statistics said he would. Statistics also said Ben Curtis and Michael Campbell wouldn't win a major. I would bet anything that the top 100 great players of all time win majors as a close percentage to their overall win percentage. No special sauce. 

Even if Rory is operating below max-intensity from here on out (which is not a given), his driving is so good that he could easily run away with another major (or more).  There aren't many guys out there who have a higher ceiling.  He still gets in the driving groove all the time - hitting it 330 down the middle off almost every tee.  From there all he needs is a couple of hot rounds with his wedges or putter to make a load of birdies.  There's enough variance with wedges and putting that it can easily happen even if he's statistically below average at those skills.  

Note: This thread is 2393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!