IGNORED

Neither Rory Nor JDay Will Win Another Major

Note: This thread is 1426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rory and JDay  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rory and JDay win another major?

• Yes, one or both of them will win another major (post-2017)
    • No, neither will win another major

Rory hasn't contended in a major for 3 years now. And it looks like he doesn't care about golf now. I think Jday was an average player that had a hot streak and has cooled off to be an average golfer. Crazier things have happened. If I told you Tiger wouldn't have won another major from 2008, you would have laughed. I believe it is time for a young gun to come up and dominate. I see that person in the mirror everyday... :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ehhhh most of those were backdoor top 10's.  He was never really "in contention" though.  You start a final round 11 shots back, shoot 6 under par and finish 5th you didn't really "contend"

I'll take some of that action.

Gotta disagree. Rory and Day are great players with a lot of years and majors ahead of them. Rory is too good not to give himself at least a few more realistic chances at winning another one. N

Posted Images

If Jason Day can get back his long game he'll contend. He has a high ceiling. His putting and short game are top tier. 

Rory needs to really get a few wins under his belt. I think his injuries this year have been bothering him. He really needs to fix his putting. His strokes gained tee to green is pretty solid. 

If I had to put money on one not winning another, probably Jason Day. I think Rory will win more. He'll get it worked out. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Neither Rory Nor JDay Will Win Another Major

Shocking opinion.;-)

They're young, Tiger was beat up for several years, both physically and mentally.

Jason and Rory have suffered injuries, and Rors will be fine after recovering and solving his putting woes. Jason, from what I understand, had bulked up late last year, and he's changed his trainer/fitness program to slim down. Both young, both should have plenty of miles left...

Rory has a strong chance to contend at any major IF he doesn't shoot himself out early.  He's still young and needs to make hay before breaking his body.

As a person I like Day a lot but I think his mechanics might hurt his longevity and chances...

Spieth imo has a good chance at being best of this generation if he doesn't follow Tiger and try to build a perfect swing.

He swings.

Gotta disagree. Rory and Day are great players with a lot of years and majors ahead of them. Rory is too good not to give himself at least a few more realistic chances at winning another one.

1 hour ago, Seals said:

Rory hasn't contended in a major for 3 years now.

Not exactly.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.44.41 PM.png

• Like 1

Ehhhh most of those were backdoor top 10's.  He was never really "in contention" though.  You start a final round 11 shots back, shoot 6 under par and finish 5th you didn't really "contend"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Your analogy to Tiger is flawed in that Tiger had a life changing crisis take place that no one could have anticipated. Rory has mostly top 10s all year. I'd bet he takes another major before he hits 30.

This is a spotty guess of a prediction at best.

I dunno, I'm with @Jack Watson on Rory. No idea truthfully, but my intuition based on his mannerisms, voice, expressions during interviews and on the course just make me think he's not really fired up to win like he once was. I'm not buying the rib injury to be as bad as he states it is. One minute he clearly states his rib is fine, no problem...next thing it's "oh well my side just gets numb..blah blah. He got married, has a lot of business going on off the course, I just don't think he's hungry anymore.

Edited by Vinsk

Doing some back-of-the-envelope statistics...Let's assume that they are both 20:1 to win any major they get into. So that's 10:1 that one of them will win. Let's assume that in the next 10 years, they each play 3 out of 4 majors a year (to account for injuries). So that's 30 majors. So odds are that between them, they'll win 3 majors in the next 10 years.

Granted, a lot of assumptions there, but those odds are actually pretty conservative. I voted that they'll win another major.

Rory is 28, Jason is 29 and although they have each had some health issues, IMO they are not career threatening. So that gives them 10+ years to play.
So I'd say over the next 40 majors it is more likely than not that former No.1 and currently top 10 ranked golfers will contend, and I would wager that they would win another major.

I like these silly threads - so I'm going to think up one myself to throw out there.....just give me a few minutes

Less than a year ago Rory won the FedEx Cup and dominated the Ryder Cup. Saying he lost his hunger a year ago would have been idiotic. He's had one mediocre year - by his standards. There are literally 100s of golfers on tour that would bite your hand off to have Rory's 2017. Since he won the PGA in 2014, he's had 6 top 10s at 11 majors.

Similarly, Jason Day had a Tiger-esque spell of dominance from July 2015 to May 2016 - he won seven times in less than a year, including a major and the Players. Since he won the PGA in 2015, he's had 4 top 10s at 8 majors.

In other words, this question is ridiculous and you would have been ridiculed asking this a year ago. They have one mediocre year by their standards and they're done winning majors? Come on. It's really hard to win majors, even with their talent. They're both still so young that the odds are they will both win another major before they retire.

Edited by DeadMan

(edited)
8 hours ago, mvmac said:

Gotta disagree. Rory and Day are great players with a lot of years and majors ahead of them. Rory is too good not to give himself at least a few more realistic chances at winning another one.

Not exactly.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.44.41 PM.png

Well,

2015 masters he finished 6 shots back.

2015 US Open he finished 5 shots back. 

2016 Masters he finished 6 shots back.

2016 Open he finished 16 SHOTS back.

2017 Masters he finished 6 shots back.

2017 Open he finished 7 shots back. 

He didn't contend in a single one of those tournaments on Sunday.

24 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Rory is 28, Jason is 29 and although they have each had some health issues, IMO they are not career threatening. So that gives them 10+ years to play.
So I'd say over the next 40 majors it is more likely than not that former No.1 and currently top 10 ranked golfers will contend, and I would wager that they would win another major.

I like these silly threads - so I'm going to think up one myself to throw out there.....just give me a few minutes

How is it silly. I give you my opinion, I show you facts for why I think my opinion. Look at my post about the real results of Rory's finishes in majors the past 3 years:

Edited by Seals
  • Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Seals said:

How is it silly. I give you my opinion, I show you facts for why I think my opinion. Look at my post about the real results of Rory's finishes in majors the past 3 years:

Poor choice of words on my part, didn't mean to impart anything by it.
It is a good discussion topic and I didn't mean to make light of your opinion - I'm not trying to throw any shade on your opinion or this thread.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Less than a year ago Rory won the FedEx Cup and dominated the Ryder Cup. Saying he lost his hunger a year ago would have been idiotic. He's had one mediocre year - by his standards. There are literally 100s of golfers on tour that would bite your hand off to have Rory's 2017. Since he won the PGA in 2014, he's had 6 top 10s at 11 majors.

Similarly, Jason Day had a Tiger-esque spell of dominance from July 2015 to May 2016 - he won seven times in less than a year, including a major and the Players. Since he won the PGA in 2015, he's had 4 top 10s at 8 majors.

In other words, this question is ridiculous and you would have been ridiculed asking this a year ago. They have one mediocre year by their standards and they're done winning majors? Come on. It's really hard to win majors, even with their talent. They're both still so young that the odds are they will both win another major before they retire.

Dominated the Ryder cup? He actually didn't make a birdie on that back nine vs Reed. He did have a good fedex cup run and I think it was the 10 million dollars that made him get "up" for the event.

Note: This thread is 1426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!