Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nevets88

2017/2019 Solheim Cup Official Discussion Thread

67 posts / 5887 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, RussUK said:

I really think womens golf deserves much more coverage than it does at present. Maybe time for a change?

Unfortunately it just requires a lot more people to feel this way for any change to happen. It’s all about revenue. As for now women’s golf is getting about what it deserves. The wrong attitude that some have taken is to say it’s sexist to not like watching women’s golf as much as men’s. That of course is asinine. Personally I enjoy watching women’s tennis just as much as men’s and definitely prefer women’s gymnastics over the men’s. And women’s  gymnastics and tennis stars get every bit as recognition and media hype as the men’s.

Nobody should have to defend why they don’t care for women’s golf or any other sport. I don’t watch hockey at all. So what? 

Just all my opinion of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

5 hours ago, RussUK said:

I think if you're going to win then a last gasp effort is probably the most satisfying way to do it and the flip side is that if you lose on the last hole then im sure thats easier to accept than losing by a country mile

The opposite is far more true.

It's much, much easier to accept losing by blow-out than to accept losing on the last hole.

In the former, you just didn't have it, you accept your fate earlier on, you were clearly outmatched, etc. In the latter… you had every chance to win and still couldn't get it done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

what a heart breaker for the US women - i find match play to be more fun to watch.  this was a really fun comp this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Unfortunately it just requires a lot more people to feel this way for any change to happen. It’s all about revenue. As for now women’s golf is getting about what it deserves. The wrong attitude that some have taken is to say it’s sexist to not like watching women’s golf as much as men’s. That of course is asinine. Personally I enjoy watching women’s tennis just as much as men’s and definitely prefer women’s gymnastics over the men’s. And women’s  gymnastics and tennis stars get every bit as recognition and media hype as the men’s.

Nobody should have to defend why they don’t care for women’s golf or any other sport. I don’t watch hockey at all. So what? 

Just all my opinion of course.

^^^ This ^^^

People watch what they find interesting and/or entertaining.  I love both women and golf, but I find women’s golf to be neither.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find women golf is interesting enough and will certainly watch it before regular PGA events without lots of big names. 

Had a chance to watched it live once when they played last year in Taipei, pretty nice experience. Lydia Ko was still the biggest draw even when she was not playing well recent years.

And I think women golf is much more interesting than WNBA or women soccer where the difference between men and women are too large.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the USA won nobody would be talking about the Solhiem cup at all, so i guess its good that Europe won. Its generated interest. I dont know how close European and USA women's players really are, but it seems odd that womens golf holds no team competition with the best players in their game. I wouldnt be surprised if nobody in the top 10 in the women's game played in that Solheim Cup.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched most of the singles but had other things to do during the foursomes and fourballs (like sleep!). It was an exciting competition with a bit of a surprise coming from the last three matches.  I never saw Europe winning all three.

The average World Ranking of the European Team was 48 (not including Suzann Pettersen's rank of 635) versus the USA's average of 29.  On paper it was a mismatch but paper never actually plays the matches.  The European ladies did themselves proud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

It was an exciting competition with a bit of a surprise coming from the last three matches.  I never saw Europe winning all three.

That was a complete surprise for sure. After Salas's win, I was about to get up and get back to chores resolved to another ho-hum US win. Anyway, good for Pettersen. She was made out to be the unsporting villain in 2017 and now she has comeback as the hero. Fun all around. 

I know Lexi was injured and did not seem to be a factor, but golly that was some horrid amateurish putting who does this for a living. I mean even the best of them are going to miss a few but haven't seen a worse stroke in a while. Wie made every excuse on earth for her in the post event conference on GC.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

If the USA won nobody would be talking about the Solhiem cup at all, so i guess its good that Europe won. Its generated interest. I dont know how close European and USA women's players really are, but it seems odd that womens golf holds no team competition with the best players in their game. I wouldnt be surprised if nobody in the top 10 in the women's game played in that Solheim Cup.  

Other than the occasional golf forum, and a brief mention on ESPN, no one is talking about it now either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, David in FL said:

^^^ This ^^^

People watch what they find interesting and/or entertaining.  I love both women and golf, but I find women’s golf to be neither.

What about Golf's Women? Changing the order changes things. :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...