IGNORED

How many wedges

Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Three:

• 48°/14° bounce
  • 54°/18° bounce
  • 60/22° bounce

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i need to learn more about bounce but that is a different topic.

i carry a PW, 52 and 56 and i am looking at getting a 48 next year.  I really enjoy hitting my 52 and 56 but i do have a gapping issue between my 52 and PW that needs addressing.  I actually keep track how many times i would have used a 48 if i had one in a round to see if the expenditure would be worth it.  BUT the enjoyment i get out learning to hit wedges will over come any financial reason not too. :-)

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

I've gone up to 4 wedges. PW, 52, 56 and 60. I've been working hard on my short game and thanks to some good instruction ive been able to learn to use the same pitching swing with all 4 to get the shot i want.

I know a few guys who just play PW and SW and play great and some who have as many as they can carry and cant hit any of them.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Here's something I've done too...take out your 5 iron.  For me  I'm rarely at that distance so I could easily choke down on a 4 or step on a 6.  At that distance I'm looking at just hitting the green and 2 putting for par.  Even if it gets me on the fringe or 5 yards off its an easy up and down.

I'd rather have that gap than in my scoring clubs.

Example:  yesterday on a par 5 i had 225 in.  I carry driver, 4 wood then 4 iron, but I have a 64 degree wedge.  4 iron might get me to the front but there was some wind.  I took a little off the 4 wood and put it a couple yards over the green.  Easy up and down for birdie.  Got to the 8th hole and shortsided myself in sand waay below the green to a downhill pin.  Needed to use the 64 degree to get it up high enough to have any shot of getting it close.  Came off well, 6 feet and saved par.  Any other wedge and I would have had 15-20 feet.

Edited by Typhoon92

I just added a 60* wedge to my bag so I've got my PW, 52*, 56*, and the 60*. I did a lot of practice today with the 60* wedge and I think it's going to become a pretty important part of my arsenal. I was actually pretty surprised how far I could hit it when really going after it. The course I've been playing at recently has a LOT of bunkers around the greens so having an even higher lofted club to safely carry them while being able to stick it relatively close and not roll forever will definitely help give myself easier looks at birdies and pars.

PW 44, AW 49, AW 53 and SW 56. The PW and AW 49 are stock Mizuno (notice the stronger lofts). My 53 and 56 are custom (actually have two 56*, low bounce and higher bounce). I like and use the 53* a lot. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

On 8/23/2017 at 11:10 PM, iacas said:

Three:

• 48°/14° bounce
  • 54°/18° bounce
  • 60/22° bounce

22 degrees of bounce on your 60?  I didn't even know that was possible.  What's that like to hit off of a tight lie?  

10 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

22 degrees of bounce on your 60?  I didn't even know that was possible.  What's that like to hit off of a tight lie?  

The design of the grind matters a lot. You can have a lot of bounce presented depending on how the club is positioned (open or square). 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

How design of the grind matters a lot. You can have a lot of bounce presented depending on how the club is positioned (open or square). 

Just blows my mind what that'd be like and how it even looks.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

I can hit it off putting greens, cement, a 2x4… whatever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Three wedges:  47 PW (came with set), 50 GW (Ping Glide 1.0), 56 SW (Ping Glide 1.0)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Many companies are making their lofts stonger on their irons which increase sales. You now got 7 irons going 195 yards. Another benefit for the companies but bad for golfers is pitching wedges are being made with stronger lofts. Now the bull crap of a gap wedge comes out. WIth the lofts now being produced the PW should be called a 10 iron 

I have a 45 degree PW and a 50 GW that came with my set, and to that I add a 54SW and 58LW. Comfortable with the set up. 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!